nagant

OS Suggestions...

6 posts in this topic

I'm new to trying different OSes, so far, I've only tried (of course...) Windows, Mac OS 9 & X, and Ubuntu. I know my way around and how to do everything I want in all of them (pretty much).

However, I want to explore different operating systems. Preferably a Linux distro. Anyhow, what would you guys suggest? I'm mainly wanting to learn about UNIX/Linux, security (so I want this OS to be secure), programming (C, ASM, some Java and Perl), and I want to run something that has the popular apps too, like music players, IMs, IRC, etc., etc.

Thank you.

if you know Ubuntu go with Debian. I did and my Gentoo friends hate me for it.

Why not just stick with Ubuntu instead of dumping it for Debian? That's like saying dump RHEL for CentOS since they're essentially the same exact thing. And before anyone espouses the HUGE GIGANTIC differences (basically none) between those four OSes, you can eat me. I actually use all 4 everyday when I'm at work and the differences that do exist are negligible and hardly noticeable in your typical everyday use.

Just use Ubuntu's alternative install or do an expert install and roll in what you want. Ubuntu can be, and is, just as advanced or whatever people will say Debian is in defense of using it over Ubuntu. Plus Ubuntu has a much more regular release schedule than Debian which releases once every 3 years or so.

I agree with tehbizz for the most part.

The only exception would be Redhat and that is only because alot of companies use it. The only difference is its built in tools and how it handles a few things. So if say you decided to get a job somewhere where they use Redhat you could say you have experiance with it. But for the most part I don't remember it being too different than any other distro.

Edited by Vangald

qemu is pretty cool for trying out other OSes, i just remembered i got minix the other day :lol:

post-3386-1177198668_thumb.png