Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
apex81

Rsync questions

3 posts in this topic

If i use rsync to back up the entire contents of a mounted boot drive to an external drive, will it create an exact clone of it? For Instance, if I typed...

sudo rsync -xrlptgoEv --progress --delete / /Volumes/BackupDrive

would /Volumes/BackupDrive be a perfect replacement if my primary drive croaked?

If i use rsync to back up the entire contents of a mounted boot drive to an external drive, will it create an exact clone of it? For Instance, if I typed...

sudo rsync -xrlptgoEv --progress --delete / /Volumes/BackupDrive

would /Volumes/BackupDrive be a perfect replacement if my primary drive croaked?

It won't be a perfect clone since the mounted drive is still in active use and changes are made while the rsync is in progress. You might get some errors about files being locked/skipped. You will also be missing your MBR . An rsync backup is only good for backing up your data, not your entire system. I don't know of a backup system that will clone the entire system while it's still live, especially one that needs to be implemented as the system is running.

I usually just use a RAID mirror.

If you wish to keep using rsync, add --delete to the options so files that are no longer on the source disk won't be left behind on the target disk (think tempfiles etc.)

thanks man,

I wish it would clone the entire drive, including the MBR. Ah well. Hopefully I'll figure something out.