darkshadow1990

Maryland Meetings

69 posts in this topic

Everyone, (who did not already receive a PM from me) please send me a list of topics you would be interested in either presenting or learning about.

Quoting myself....

I have only received one PM about this. Our meetings will be pretty lame if we have nothing to do so please send me topics soon; people need time to address the topics.

i can send you some of my old meeting notes if your interested if you need some ideas of what to present

-Enigma

Does anyone have a caravan? I think it'd be cool to cram like 8 guys into a caravan and go wardriving while discussing random tech crap. BinRev meeting on the road, anyone? :lol:

I've got a camcorder, so depending on where we meet, etc., I'll video the meetings so we can post them (wherever for now, most likely YouTube, then embed them later somewhere).

Does anyone have a caravan? I think it'd be cool to cram like 8 guys into a caravan and go wardriving while discussing random tech crap. BinRev meeting on the road, anyone? :lol:

I've got a camcorder, so depending on where we meet, etc., I'll video the meetings so we can post them (wherever for now, most likely YouTube, then embed them later somewhere).

i believe droops is doing something similiar and submitting it to hacktv....might be an idea :)

Currently, I believe we have a presentation on lock picking and I will be doing a presentation on Genetic Algorithms. Please make a final post if you will be able to come this Friday (May 18. 2007).

Hope to see you guys there :)

bump... you guys still alive? The meeting is tomorrow !

---EDIT---

MEETING HAS BEEN CANCELED DUE TO LACK OF AVAILABLE MEMBERS THIS MONTH !

Please mark your calendars for next months meeting! However, if enough people request this, we can have a meeting earlier. I believe I am partly at fault for the cancellation of the meeting since I did not remind you guys in advance (I just assumed you guys checked this thread...) :(

Edited by DarkShadow

Yeah, I had some RL things pop up that absolutely couldn't be controlled, so I'm sorry I had to dip out on this one. And yeah, reminders go a long way in making sure people stay aware of the meetings. :)

I have been to Union Station in DC and have talked to friends about it. I am starting to think its not such a good idea to hold our meetings there. First, it is not near most of our members. Second, it is not a very safe place to be with a laptops. Third, its not a very good area and not really in Maryland. I am thinking of some place in either Montgomery county or Fredrick county. Any suggestions? Also, I believe that it would be a good idea to have a meeting this coming Friday instead of just completely canceling this meeting.

I have been to Union Station in DC and have talked to friends about it. I am starting to think its not such a good idea to hold our meetings there. First, it is not near most of our members. Second, it is not a very safe place to be with a laptops. Third, its not a very good area and not really in Maryland. I am thinking of some place in either Montgomery county or Fredrick county. Any suggestions? Also, I believe that it would be a good idea to have a meeting this coming Friday instead of just completely canceling this meeting.

One place which might work well for meetings is downtown Silver Spring. It's nice because witin a block and a half of the metro (Silver Spring Station, on the Red Line) there is a large cluster of restaurants and about two blocks from the metro is the Silver Spring Verizon CO. Although, in terms of gear safety, the area is getting much better, but I am always one to be a worry wart.

If the meeting were to be there though, there are a couple of possible places. One would be by the restaurants since there is nice, bright outdoor seating and it is also right next to a parking lot for all of you who don't want to take metro and want to drive. There is also a nice diner (Tasty Diner, Silver Spring) which has great, moderatly priced food and is conveinetly located behind the Silver Spring CO. There is also plenty of UE area around.

-light

One place which might work well for meetings is downtown Silver Spring. It's nice because witin a block and a half of the metro (Silver Spring Station, on the Red Line) there is a large cluster of restaurants and about two blocks from the metro is the Silver Spring Verizon CO. Although, in terms of gear safety, the area is getting much better, but I am always one to be a worry wart.

If the meeting were to be there though, there are a couple of possible places. One would be by the restaurants since there is nice, bright outdoor seating and it is also right next to a parking lot for all of you who don't want to take metro and want to drive. There is also a nice diner (Tasty Diner, Silver Spring) which has great, moderatly priced food and is conveinetly located behind the Silver Spring CO. There is also plenty of UE area around.

-light

Great i will check the place out. Can you guys make it on June 1st?

Edited by DarkShadow

Wow I'm not alone in this state. If you can get something together for a meeting I'd try to make it (work permitting).

I was just wondering if anyone else in the area was going to the VMware Symposia next Wednesday. If anyone is interested in going, but hasn't registered yet, you can register here. It seems like they still have slots open, but they will probibly go fast now. So, if anyone else is going, maybe we can meetup or something.

-Light

I live in Montgomery County and would love to come, but seeing as i am 15 i dont think my parents would like it so much if i told them i was gonig to a hacking meeting :P

I guess this has never been started and has died. I would like pick this up where it has been left off. I propose voting on a general location first and then picking a specific place later. I suggest the following locations:

• Rockville (1 vote) Lelantus
  • Bethesda
  • Silver Spring
  • Union Station (2 votes) mubix, cypress

Please reply to this thread, e-mail me, or IM me your vote and I will update this thread regularly with the current votes. I hope to have a general location agreed upon within 2 - 3 days. This Friday, we can gather at the closest metro stop to the selected general location and search for good meeting locations. During this time we can all introduce ourselves and have some fun. If things go smoothly, we can have our first meeting on the 25th.

Edited by Lelantus

I vote Union Station

I'm in Southern Delaware at the moment.

It seems that most of the people previously interested in these meetings are not active anymore. I think we have to extend the voting period to the end of the weekend. I hope that there are more hackers in Maryland and that they will see this thread over the weekend. Do you have any suggestions on how we can advertise these meetings to more people? I will try to get this into the topic message in #binrev.

The below information is still valid. I can give access to those who need it

binrev.dc@gmail.com

202-658-7730

and of course if you have Google Talk you can IM questions

I don't understand how it is possible to have so many people on these forums and have so few interested in hacker meetings in Maryland. There were more people interested in this idea last year... I will try to spread the word some more but I do not have much influence because I am relatively new here. Mubix, I hope we can gather up one or two more people and have a meeting setup pretty soon. Having a successful meeting might get more people interested.

Mubix, did you have a specific place in mind when you suggested Union Station?

Yea, I would go with Union Station.

Craygee can go. I'm in Alexandria on a long term engagement with a big SUV. :) So if people need a ride lemme know. I can do talks if needed. Next week and the week after I have an engagement in Seattle and Houston. I didn't have time to read through the entire thread to find the date but, I'll go if I can.

I don't understand how it is possible to have so many people on these forums and have so few interested in hacker meetings in Maryland. There were more people interested in this idea last year... I will try to spread the word some more but I do not have much influence because I am relatively new here. Mubix, I hope we can gather up one or two more people and have a meeting setup pretty soon. Having a successful meeting might get more people interested.

Mubix, did you have a specific place in mind when you suggested Union Station?

What we initially set up was that we would pick a time, and we would all meet at the main hall / entrance and then find a seated location afterwards.. that was mainly what the phone number was for.. logistics.

Wow, I thought the meeting threads were dead.

I live an hour south of DC so a Union Station meetup would work better that a MD location.

It looks like we have agreed on Union Station. So lets pick a time and date to meet there and scout around for a nice place to hold the meeting. I would be able to go at the following times:

Sunday 04/27/08 - any time

Friday 05/02/08 - after 4:00 pm

Next weekend (05/03/08 and 05/04/08) - anytime

PS. I was beginning to think we would not get enough members. Fortunately, I was wrong. :)

Ok so here is the latest information:

I registered binrevdc.com

I set up google apps so now the core members can have a @binrevdc.com through gmail, I can also link subdomains to your sites.

I posted a simple image to binrevdc.com

Google Apps includes - email, a calendar, docs, chat

Ok, great. So we are meeting on the 3rd of May (this Saturday). Does anyone have geek targeted material that they want to share at the meeting? If anyone is interested, I can bring in a PowerPoint(with video) on website vulnerabilities that I am working on for my Senior Project.

Edited by Lelantus