wethcr

New Computer

23 posts in this topic

I have $1,200 dollars and am looking at building a new computer/buying a laptop.

My current computer is an AMD 3700+ socket 754 :-( with 1 gig of crucial ballistix ram and ati 1600 Pro. Not the best computer but i only built it for like 500 dollars 2 years ago.

I'm going to be running a dual boot of XP and Some sort of linux and using it for gaming and Video encoding. NE1 have any recomendations? If u know of a prebuilt computer that will work also. Ive been doing some looking around and I'm interestd in a Core 2 Duo E6600 but What do you guy think

Thanks

Wethcr

If I was you I would build my own PC as you can usually save a lot of money and get a high spec computer. I would seriously look at AMD as they are slashing their prices and dual processor motherboards are quite reasonable.

And stay away from ati cards, they are shitty cards and they make shitty drivers even for windows. Now that amd bought them, they may be a bit better, but amd said they are going to lock the user out of the frame buffer so there is going to be a layer of drm that is going to be a pain in the ass to get around if you want to start accessing it.

I'm looking at GEforce 8800's for this new computer also. I've read reviews and most of them say C2D kick AMD's dual core proccessors ass so IDK :unsure:

An Optimus keyboard. Or one of the blank keyboards on Thinkgeek.com.

i would get me one of these for anything for video editing, encoding, decoding. it would be awesome to have one of those. It would also be good for swap, and a pagafile for gaming and other misc crap

I suggest dual booting XP and Ubuntu ;)

Dual booting is a pain in the ass, and nobody who uses the computer for more than testing or research never ends up using the operating system they really intent to. Most of the time, it happens to be linux as you keep booting up windows for gaming or one thing or another and then it's just a pain to switch back and forth.

For gaming and video editing, I would suggest purchasing a desktop system, only because for $1200, you're going to get more performance and a better display out of a desktop than you would from a laptop. I used to be all hardcore into the "DIY" shit, but at this point, there are several advantages to buying a premade computer from Dell (or something similar). First and foremost is warranty. These are usually not too much money and in most cases, you can buy a warranty for a system you buy for up to three months (sometimes longer) after you buy the system itself. The other advantage is that it will definitely work (ok... so theres a small chance that Dell fucks it up, but..). Any probability of a large company fucking up a system is dwarfed by the probability that you will fuck it up. Sometimes it's nice to order a system and know that when it arrives, you can turn it on and it will just work. Trust me. I've been there, I've done that. Another advantage is drivers. Companies will always ship your system with a resource CD. These will definitely work in Windows. I have built computers and tried to install the drivers from the CDs and had them fail. They were old, but your system will get old eventually too.

As for DIY: Sure, you can probably build a better system from scratch than you can by ordering from Dell. Sure, but you can't get a warranty, and you dont get any of the things I explained above.

Upgrading: I do not know how much, or if you ever intend to upgrade this system, but keep the following in mind: It is far easier to upgrade a computer that you build from scratch. You know what's in it, you know how it's layed out. Many companies will actually force you to send the computer back to them to have them upgrade it. This is a pain in the ass. Upgrading anything beyond memory is far easier to do on a home-built system.

Specs: This part is tricky. A lot of people have loyalty to AMD and such from back in the day when it was the old Athlon 1800s vs. the Pentium 4s. At that time, it was very noble to have an overclocked Athlon that would scream past the Intel chips. At this point, however, that attitude is about as obsolete as those parts are. The Intel Core 2 Duo is definitely the best desktop chip I've encountered. The AMDs are good, but I would have to say that I prefer the Intel chips to the AMD chips at this juncture. This may, and probably will change in the future; but for right now, I have to recommend Intel. Memory: Don't get a system with less than a gig and a half of system memory. If you can afford to get two gigs, do it. Get at least 667 MHz DDR2 RAM. In modern computers, that's where the major performance bottleneck is. The cheapest, most effective way to make a system faster is to get more and faster memory. Just make sure that your other hardware supports it. I am not going to speak on specific video card models. However, I would agree with the other people that Nvidea cards are the superior option. Motherboards: Asus is good. I've also had really good experience with Abit boards, and I know several other people who have as well, so Abit is probably a safe bet. I'm not familiar with other companies.

Hope this helps.

I am looking at this motherboard. here Its EVGA. I've read reviews on the 680i chipset and people say that it's very capable of overclocking, I've heard of 3.5 Ghz on a E6600 at near stock voltage.

I suggest dual booting XP and Ubuntu ;)

Dual booting is a pain in the ass, and nobody who uses the computer for more than testing or research never ends up using the operating system they really intent to. Most of the time, it happens to be linux as you keep booting up windows for gaming or one thing or another and then it's just a pain to switch back and forth.

im gonna have to disagree with you. dual booting isnt really a pain in the ass, all you do is select which OS you wanna run on startup, not too hard. i dual boot on my laptop all the time because there are certain programs that just work alot better or are only available on windows. now of course if you have two or more computers then sure you can have one OS on one box and one on another, but for a laptop that you will take with you dual booting is a good option, because you can have both OS's with you wherever you go.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Windows is a piece of shit, no need to boot it at all, or duel boot if for that matter.

It is blaitanly obvious that Microsoft has it quirks. I'm tired of hearing about how much it sucks. Give up at life you M$ bashers.

i would get me one of these for anything for video editing, encoding, decoding. it would be awesome to have one of those. It would also be good for swap, and a pagafile for gaming and other misc crap
It is blaitanly obvious that Microsoft has it quirks. I'm tired of hearing about how much it sucks. Give up at life you M$ bashers.

I did already. and this topic is going to make me make a new topic of dual booting.

the cost:performance ratio make a ramdisk a poor value. first he wouls have to buy an assload more ram (which isnt cheap) unless youre super concerned with bootup times could install your OS on it and shave off a few seconds on bootup. the fastest bootup time i was ever able to get using a ramdisk is 24 seconds booting a fresh install of win xp. IMO that money would be better spent on other mods to increase system performance.

yes but DDR memory is cheap and getting cheaper

the cost:performance ratio make a ramdisk a poor value. first he wouls have to buy an assload more ram (which isnt cheap) unless youre super concerned with bootup times could install your OS on it and shave off a few seconds on bootup. the fastest bootup time i was ever able to get using a ramdisk is 24 seconds booting a fresh install of win xp. IMO that money would be better spent on other mods to increase system performance.

<- about 9 seconds or so with a ramdisk. I agree that shaving 10-30 seconds off of your startup time isn't worth the price. But in the future, maybe 3-4 years when solid state memory hard drives are much more common it will be nice.

<- about 9 seconds or so with a ramdisk. I agree that shaving 10-30 seconds off of your startup time isn't worth the price. But in the future, maybe 3-4 years when solid state memory hard drives are much more common it will be nice.

first flash memory is slower then ram memory. second who said anything about booting your OS with this?? most mother boards can only go up to 4GB-8GB and you have to have DD2 or DD3 for that. having a drive that is made from memory would be good for video editing which could be slow with a hard drive. or you could (i'll say it again) use it for swap/pagefile

first flash memory is slower then ram memory. second who said anything about booting your OS with this?? most mother boards can only go up to 4GB-8GB and you have to have DD2 or DD3 for that. having a drive that is made from memory would be good for video editing which could be slow with a hard drive. or you could (i'll say it again) use it for swap/pagefile

ok first, who said anything about flash memory? second why use the i-ram with ddr400 when you could just add some ddr2 800 or higher to your mobo maybe even overclock it a little? and get a couple of WD Raptors and run them in raid-0. and what exactly do you mean when you say "a drive made from memory"? and what is "ram memory" is that like random access memory memory? is that new or something? anyways it would probably be cool to have one of these for the hell of it but like i said the performance gain would not outweigh the cost for a ram drive.

ok first, who said anything about flash memory? second why use the i-ram with ddr400 when you could just add some ddr2 800 or higher to your mobo maybe even overclock it a little? and get a couple of WD Raptors and run them in raid-0. and what exactly do you mean when you say "a drive made from memory"? and what is "ram memory" is that like random access memory memory? is that new or something? anyways it would probably be cool to have one of these for the hell of it but like i said the performance gain would not outweigh the cost for a ram drive.

Yeah, I know that flash memory is slower than ram memory. But with the laptops that have the 32GB flash memory it out performs current hard drives. That is what I was getting at, sorry to confuse.

I decided to go with a Laptop a dell Inspiron 6400 I got it rly cheap cuz i bought it through my dads business.

thank you

when it comes to recording and editing media Im sorry but linux and bsd blows , windows and macs own at stuff like that (im tryin to start a home label so I have windows and os x for apps/

Inspiron 6400 Dual Core

Inspiron 6400 Intel® Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)

LCD Panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife(glossy)

Memory 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM

Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Hard Drive 80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic

Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0

Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Sound Options Integrated Audio

Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card (54Mbps)

Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD

Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No security subscription (McAfee 30-day trial)

Primary Battery 6-cell Primary Battery and 9-cell additional Lithium Ion Battery

[312-0405]

Warranty & Service 2 Yr Ltd Warranty, On-site Service, and 2 Yr Tech Support

what would you pay for this setup? I want to know if i got a good deal

Thats about what i payed a lil more with the 2 year warranty and the extra battery.