Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arewhyainn

down grading to linux 2.2

17 posts in this topic

down grading to linux 2.2, any thoughts before I try to do this?

I just have to ask first. Why?

I just have to ask first. Why?

/me seconds that

why?

Thursday, for the first time I was able to compile my own kernel from source. Well, I've been able to compile it, making it work is the real story. I tried troubleshooting this time, instead of just giving up. Then, I thought I should downgrade to 2.4 for a second. Then. I said f*ck that, I'll be super 1337 and downgrade to 2.2. Sure, my sound card, video, NIC, is to new for it and I won't be able to start a X server on it. but then again I'll be super 1337, or really stupid. Being either one is cool with me. B)

First of all, you can't just rip out 2.6 from your distro and drop in 2.2. It probably won't even boot, devfs or udev or whatever your distro uses doesn't really (or at all) exist in 2.2. I don't think you understand how ancient 2.2 is. Linux 2.2 was pretty bad, it worked (and some say it's more reliable than the later versions), but it's horribly slow. They don't call Linux 2.4 a major milestone for no reason. And 2.6 was an even larger milestone, so many huge improvements and features were added since 2.2, I can't see going back.

It's a horrible idea, just forget about it. If you want to see how things were, get an old distro, don't try to drop 2.2 into a new distro! Oh, and the obvious has to be said here: dropping down to 2.2 or 2.4 won't help you with your problems any. If you can't figure out how to properly configure a 2.6 kernel, chances are only slightly better that you can configure a 2.4 or 2.2. Not to mention you're going to have to learn the old build system, a whole new set of kernel options, etc. Just stick with 2.6 and RTFM man..

The thing is I have figured it out. 2.6 that is. I don't think udev is working very well. I installed slackware with 2.4 and upgraded to 2.6.isn't /dev suppose to be cleaner? I deleted everything in there, from 2.4 and it just shows back up. but then again I really have no idea what I'm doing. I was just happy to be able to compile and troubleshoot. (I should have tried that in the first place.) I'll figure it out I may be 50 years old by then but i'll get it.

First of all, you can't just rip out 2.6 from your distro and drop in 2.2. It probably won't even boot, devfs or udev or whatever your distro uses doesn't really (or at all) exist in 2.2. I don't think you understand how ancient 2.2 is. Linux 2.2 was pretty bad, it worked (and some say it's more reliable than the later versions), but it's horribly slow. They don't call Linux 2.4 a major milestone for no reason. And 2.6 was an even larger milestone, so many huge improvements and features were added since 2.2, I can't see going back.

Bah - Like you, I have no idea _why_ anyone would want to do this. The devfs/udev thing should be easy enought to get around. You'll just need to make a nice tarball of devices, boot off a CD, and roll them out the old way. That is, then you won't _need_ udev/devfs. All I keep thinking is, "why"? . You _could_ do it, but yesh.

Bah - Like you, I have no idea _why_ anyone would want to do this. The devfs/udev thing should be easy enought to get around. You'll just need to make a nice tarball of devices, boot off a CD, and roll them out the old way. That is, then you won't _need_ udev/devfs. All I keep thinking is, "why"? . You _could_ do it, but yesh.

What?

Beave is saying you could tarball /dev from another machine (or the OS running on the harddrive of the machine with the live CD, or whatever) and put it in /dev of the machine running 2.2. Alternatively, you could use a 2.6 kernel like a normal person and have udev/devfs take care of it for you.

arewhyainn, do you want to just post specific problems you're having with 2.6? Because this is the rough equivelant of downgrading to Windows 3.1.

EDIT: Oh wait, you did post a problem. >_<

Does everything work? Because if it works, don't fix it. ;)

Edited by intimidat0r

2.2 was annoying on Slackware & PAINFUL on RedHat, Why on earth would you want to do this??

I would sooner throw my Machine out the window.......

And if you're looking for better management of /dev....give FreeBSD a look

arewhyainn, do you want to just post specific problems you're having with 2.6? Because this is the rough equivelant of downgrading to Windows 3.1.

I"M NOT HAVING ANY PROBLEMS

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!

Well, I've been able to compile it, making it work is the real story.

I assumed that meant you were having a problem with it. >_>

Thursday, for the first time I was able to compile my own kernel from source. Well, I've been able to compile it, making it work is the real story. I tried troubleshooting this time, instead of just giving up.
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
Well, I've been able to compile it, making it work is the real story.

I assumed that meant you were having a problem with it. >_>

try reading everything I say next time.

You say you tried troubleshooting this time. I wasn't given any indication that you succeeded, otherwise why would you want to downgrade to 2.2?

You say you tried troubleshooting this time. I wasn't given any indication that you succeeded, otherwise why would you want to downgrade to 2.2?

because I'm 1337

The only real reason to downgrade to Linux 2.2. If your trying to learn kernel development and to understand the kernel stuff more and then upgrading as you learn on say a development box or labtop. Other than that there is not reason to do what you implied :pirate:

The only real reason to downgrade to Linux 2.2. If your trying to learn kernel development and to understand the kernel stuff more and then upgrading as you learn on say a development box or labtop. Other than that there is not reason to do what you implied :pirate:

There's no real point in that. The kernel interfaces have changed so much since 2.2, you're going to have to scratch a lot of what you learned when you move to 2.4 or 2.6 anyway. 2.6 is larger and more complicated, and that can be intimidating, but if you're learning to write kernel modules there's just no reason to start with an 8 year old kernel.