eeriana

blue tooth

16 posts in this topic

I don't know if this belongs here, but I thought I would ask. We were told at work (shipping company) that we are not allowed to use bluetooth headsets at work because they interfere with the scanners uploading process. Are there different frequencies that blue tooth equipment works on or is it all the same? If so, can you change the frequency of a blue tooth device?

Bluetooth is designed to work in the proximity of other bluetooth devices.

It uses a spread spectrum signal to minimise interference and automatically 'frequency hops' on 79 channels (between 2.402GHz and 2.480GHz).

Later revisions (2.0) introduced adaptive hoping, so the hoping sequence could be tailored to additionally minimise interference.

My view is that 'they' are full of BS. What's the betting that 'they' are also running 802.11b/g, cordless phones and microwave ovens at the same premises...

Mungewell.

We do run microwaves at work, but no cordless phones, that I am aware of anyway.... We are allowed to use cell phones, just not bluetooth... It sounded like bs to me also, but I thought I would do a little research on it...

eeriana

I wouldn't think it would matter either. I don't think one bluetooth headset interferes with other bluetooth headsets in proximity, so why would it interfere with scanners using bluetooth. hmmm..

While bluetooth may be convenient, I wouldn't recomend using it in any secure environment. Bluetooth is a horribly designed protocol and specification in regard to security.

I think that is BS too.. These scanners would have to be attached to a BT router that would be set to auto pair with any device that broadcasts BT.. So if your phone had bluetooth searching turned on it would do the same "interference" as the headsets would do.. Highly unlikely..

I think that is BS too.. These scanners would have to be attached to a BT router that would be set to auto pair with any device that broadcasts BT.. So if your phone had bluetooth searching turned on it would do the same "interference" as the headsets would do.. Highly unlikely..

I hadn't thought of that... so if it were true, then the interference would go both ways and their scanners would interfere with my headset. (which it doesn't.) I need to find out what software the scanners use. When I got my bluetooth, I had to link it to only my phone, so wouldn't they link the scanners to their bluetooth device only? Isn't that how it works?

Right.. The interference would be mutual and would occur on the phone the same as the headset... What you should try is have your phone drop your paired BT connection and have it set to pick up all BT devices.. IT might pick those scanners up, and rare chance that it might ask for a passkey, if so the passkey probably will be 1111,or 1234.. Since BT stuff is new in networking fields, there is lots of room of basic setups.. But with interference as far as tones go, I sometimes get the majick radio tones over my Bose speakers when my phone is close to the unit.. The IR type... noises you hear sometimes over radio, IRDA, etc.. Post what you find as this is intresting..

Right.. The interference would be mutual and would occur on the phone the same as the headset... What you should try is have your phone drop your paired BT connection and have it set to pick up all BT devices.. IT might pick those scanners up, and rare chance that it might ask for a passkey, if so the passkey probably will be 1111,or 1234.. Since BT stuff is new in networking fields, there is lots of room of basic setups.. But with interference as far as tones go, I sometimes get the majick radio tones over my Bose speakers when my phone is close to the unit.. The IR type... noises you hear sometimes over radio, IRDA, etc.. Post what you find as this is intresting..

I will, I hadn't thought of trying that. So I just set my phone to scan for any BT connection?

I will try that tonight when I go in to work.... I'll let you know! Thanks...

Well, tonight I had the phone scan for bt and it found no devices. Do I have to change any settings or anything on my phone, perhaps? They say it runs on the same frequency, so shouldn't it have picked up on them? Would I have to be within a certain proximity to a scanner, or the base area for all the scanners? Any thoughts would be welcome.....

eeriana

I believe it would have to be within 30 feet of the devices... However if the scanners on their end are setup to non actively accept active requests for other BT devices you would have to set your phone on a "probe".. Hmm.. What are the makes of those scanners? I know that for example the BT headsets to bind into this PC that has two BT usb dongles with both Vidcomm and MS BT stacks that I have to set my h500 headset to hold the call button for about 20 sec and the force the BT network to scan before it finds the unit and asks for a passkey to bind the device.. You should bring in a RF door unlocker and a IR remote control for a TV to see if they get any interference... But still dont see how just the BT headset could be causing it... and yet a normal Cell is ok... We are on a mission now to call out and out right bullshit on these peeps..

Also what type of phone, BThead unit, and devices non and BT are in that area?... There is an off chance you might be close to an area that has a broadcast unit of a secure channel that wont cause interference but might allow you to pick up on a signal of chatter from walkie talkie/paging units.. Doubtful but ya never know..

Also what type of phone, BThead unit, and devices non and BT are in that area?... There is an off chance you might be close to an area that has a broadcast unit of a secure channel that wont cause interference but might allow you to pick up on a signal of chatter from walkie talkie/paging units.. Doubtful but ya never know..

I will find out tonight the make of the scanners and the software they use. I am using a motorola E815 and a plantronics 510 headset, I believe. What is the probe you were talking about? We do use radios to communicate through out the hub and in the yard, they are Motorola HT1000 ( I think) They broadcast on a frequency that I think is just assigned to us. I don't know if that would have any effect. I can try to find out that frequency. I am determined to prove them wrong!!

eeriana

When I mentioned "probe" I meant for the phone to actively seek... So the only thing possibly a BT headset might do is bouce a radio signal from the BT scanner that might pick up handheld radio transmission.. However the BT being turned on the phone would do the same thing... Do you have access to a laptop in that area , if so pick up a USB BT adapter and I got a few suggestions to investigate futher...

quote name='eeriana' date='Apr 14 2007, 06:02 AM' post='251177']

The device is this http://www.motorola.com/rtte/Telematics/MEdocs/F5071a.html The software I am not sure of..... all I know is gss 3.5 but I am still working on that. What is the probe you mentioned? I am going to play around with the system to find out some more about the software and info on Mon. Any other thoughts?

eeriana

I can't take a laptop in but... there are a couple computers in the area that I could use, without much notice....so if I get the adapter... what suggestions do you have....