badeofblade

Keyboard issues on bootup

5 posts in this topic

Is this the right place to ask for PC help? Ah well.

I have recently reassembled an old PC of mine, and the insides are in tip-top shape. All the drivers are (hopefully) working, and the keyboard & mouse seem to be read. But, though the keyboard lights flash on bootup, none of it's input is acknowledged (the same is true of my lower-quality keyboards). Then, after the IBM screen goes away (the one that says press F1 to do this and F2 to do that and such), an error message pops up saying this:

System-security - keyboard is locked

System-security - keyboard is unlocked

163 Date and Time incorrect

I am then brought to the configuration/setup screen, with this in it's place:

POST Startup Error(s)

The following error(s) were detected when the system was started:

162 Configuration Change Has Occured

163 Date and Time incorrect

Select one of the following:

Continue.

Exit steup

Again, the keyboard input here isn't accepted, and the mouse is useless at the screen. I've tried keeping the keyboard unplugged and waiting until the config screen to try again, I've tried holding esc all the way through, I've tried letting it sit for an hour to see if anything happens.

I'm running Windows XP Pro on it, but it doesn't seem to get as far as the OS. I'm using old IBM hardware from 2000, but it was the top-end home PC stuff at the time if I'm not mistaken.

If anyone can help me, it'd be much appreciated, and thank you in advance.

It sounds like you plugged the keyboard into the mouse and the mouse into the keyboard. It just happened to me about a week ago.

If switching around the keyboard and mouse ports don't work, try a usb mouse/keyboard. Also, as a last resort you may want to flash the CMOS on the motherboard if you suspect something may have shorted out when you were reassembling the box.

If you're getting those post errors every time and the hardware is old and or been unplugged for a long time you may have a dead cmos battery. Check the motherboard for a flat battery marked 'CR2032'. That's the replaceable battery that you can buy at almost any store.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it could help you eliminate possibilities and or isolate the problem.

Hope it helps

Check out http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/81/1 for more.

*quick edit on the part number and add link

Edited by Capt. Logic

Thanks guys ^_^

I'm sure it's in the right port, so it's either I fried it, or the battery hates me. Thanks again for the help, I'll have it up soon hopefully (and consequently be addicted to these forums).