Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dial Tone

Recovered deleted data from disks

3 posts in this topic

I saw this nice tutorial on something I'd been meaning to learn - how to recover deleted data from a disk.

Unfortunately, the tutorial showed how to do this with a windows only program called "Disk Investigator". Is there any (preferably open source) alternative to this, I have a debian box and this Macbook running OSX, but I don't currently have access to a windows box. It'd be especially useful since I'm trying to collect programs for a custom knoppix disk that would be distributed to the others who volunteer at my school's student run help desk.

You might be interested in tools like:

- Sleuthkit

- Autopsy (graphical shell for the sleuthkit)

Ofcourse you could write your own tools, that just depends on your programming skills :roll:

I've been using these tools at school a lot, and they might be a bit of a scare at first but you'll get used to using them.

Google a few times for some howto's and stuff.

and the good news is that sleuthkit and autopsy are just apt-get'able so you will not have to many problems intergrating them.

Greetings,

- Acid-Tears :lol:

In another note you could download a copy of Hiren's BootCD that includes many usefull tools including several data recovery programs like Ontrack's GetDataBack !

www.hiren.info !

V