Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dial Tone

MAC addresses in OSX

27 posts in this topic

I've been on a big wireless security binge lately, realized I don't know much about it and decided to change it.

Anyways, I was wondering if it's possible to change the mac address of one's airport extreme card in OSX. I've got the latest Macbook, fully patched running 10.4.9 (sadly not the pro).

I was wondering if this is possible... I've seen conflicting reports on whether I can do this with my hardware and software config.

Also, how can I view my mac adress? I know eth0 is my ethernet connection's name, what would the wireless one be?

Don't own a mac. But:

My friend has a 17" powerbook. I changed his eth0 one by using standard linux commands. ifconfig eth0 hw ether *new mac* .. I am not sure if that's exactly what it was though. Wouldn't the wireless one be eth1? I am not sure, so let someone who owns a macbook answer. You might wanna google it too. I think that's how I found the info in the first place.

I have, and have gotten conflicting reports.

I guess to be honest my main problem is I don't know the interface name, or how to view my current MAC address, I've heard the command will "work" then the mac will switch back.

the command is ifconfig

your wireless adapter is usually on en1

the command, 'ifconfig en1 ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff` works for your ethernet interface (en0), but not for your wireless.

the command is ifconfig

your wireless adapter is usually on en1

the command, 'ifconfig en1 ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff` works for your ethernet interface (en0), but not for your wireless.

Wait I'm confused... so that wouldn't change it, even though I'm specifying en1 and not en0? Because I don't really need to change the ethernet's mac address, it's the wireless card's mac address that is important.

I read around this do not work, but just in case...

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport -help
-m<arg> --mac=<arg> Use <arg> instead of current AirPort MAC Address

yes you can do it.

I believe you need to shut off the card, change the address, and re-enable the card. I forget the commands to do this but its not complicated and should be googlable.

I did some research on this last summer and found that for some reason apple has locked down the drivers for the wireless card. This is why 'ifconfig en1 ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff`doesn't work. From what I can remember their is apparently a couple third party wireless drivers floating around on the internet that will allow you to change the MAC address, but I found that it was much simpler to use the software mentioned above, spoofMAC being the best imo.

I was trying to create an apple script to connect to paid wifi access for free... but ultimately it didn't work because I couldn't change the MAC address. On a side note, spoofMAC isn't scriptable... just in case you were looking for that type of functionality.

Edited by apex81

I've been on a big wireless security binge lately, realized I don't know much about it and decided to change it.

Anyways, I was wondering if it's possible to change the mac address of one's airport extreme card in OSX. I've got the latest Macbook, fully patched running 10.4.9 (sadly not the pro).

I was wondering if this is possible... I've seen conflicting reports on whether I can do this with my hardware and software config.

Also, how can I view my mac adress? I know eth0 is my ethernet connection's name, what would the wireless one be?

open up bash:

sudo su 
[type in your password]
ifconfig en1 ether DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE

Or whatever you want your MAC address to be, and where en1 is the name of your wireless interface. This may be different on your machine (but probably not).

you can view all your network interfaces with "ifconfig"

Edited by Linux

ifconfig en1 ether DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE

This does not work for the wireless card.

ibook-g4:~ apex81$ sudo ifconfig en1 ether de:ad:be:ef:ca:fe
Password:**************
ibook-g4:~ apex81$ ifconfig en1
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::211:24ff:fe26:8134%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
inet 192.168.0.105 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
ether 11:11:11:11:11:11
media: autoselect status: active
supported media: autoselect

Apple does not let you change the wireless card MAC's with their proprietary drivers. Talk about a PAIN IN THE ASS. The real kick in the nuts is that you can change the MAC of the ethernet device (en0 usually) using the aforementioned command.

Edited by apex81

try turning it off first.

This worked on my iBook G4 with Aiport Extreme card, so it should work for you also.

This worked on my iBook G4 with Aiport Extreme card, so it should work for you also.

No, it didn't. I had a G4 with an Airport Extreme, and the only way it ever worked was using a special patch that modified the airport kernel extension. This hasn't worked since like 10.4.5.

You are basically shit out of luck at this point. You _cannot_ change the mac address of your airport extreme given the current state of OS X. su, shutting it down first, doesn't matter. It doesn't work right now.

If you want to be able to change your wireless mac address, get an external wireless card and use that.

I ended up picking up a usb dongle last summer. It worked. But, was super annoying. lol

No, it didn't. I had a G4 with an Airport Extreme, and the only way it ever worked was using a special patch that modified the airport kernel extension. This hasn't worked since like 10.4.5.

You are basically shit out of luck at this point. You _cannot_ change the mac address of your airport extreme given the current state of OS X. su, shutting it down first, doesn't matter. It doesn't work right now.

If you want to be able to change your wireless mac address, get an external wireless card and use that.

Do you mean on any hardware? If you do you, you are wrong. I do it nearly everyday on this MacBook Pro.

I'm talking non-Intel hardware that have the older Airport Extreme's. It does work on MacBook and MacBook Pro's with the new wireless chipset.

However, if one of the recent updates to OS X also enabled it to work on the older G4 era Airport Extreme's, then I wouldn't know. I haven't had my Powerbook G4 since last summer, and I know for a fact it didn't work then.

Edited by chefninja

I'm running a completely patched ibook g4 and this still doesn't work. Looks like another reason I should be upgrading to a macbook pro. *sigh*

Do you mean on any hardware? If you do you, you are wrong. I do it nearly everyday on this MacBook Pro.

How do you do it on your MacBook Pro? Do you follow the same steps you posted above? Cause that doesn't work on any MacBook Pro that I have tried. Doesn't work on mine. It will change the wired mac address if I do en0 but not the wireless. As others have stated above, it currently doesn't work on the Intel machines. The PPC versions required you to have modified drivers, until I think 10.4.3 came out. Now with the Intel there are no modified drivers yet and OS X doesn't allow you to. You might be able to if you recompile your mach kernel to support it, but I am not 100% sure if that will help.

I would love to be able to change my mac address on my MacBook Pro, so since you do it daily, please post the exact steps for everyone here.

I was just at best buy, I should have tried it out on the macbooks/mbp while i was there.

How do you do it on your MacBook Pro? Do you follow the same steps you posted above? Cause that doesn't work on any MacBook Pro that I have tried. Doesn't work on mine. It will change the wired mac address if I do en0 but not the wireless. As others have stated above, it currently doesn't work on the Intel machines. The PPC versions required you to have modified drivers, until I think 10.4.3 came out. Now with the Intel there are no modified drivers yet and OS X doesn't allow you to. You might be able to if you recompile your mach kernel to support it, but I am not 100% sure if that will help.

I would love to be able to change my mac address on my MacBook Pro, so since you do it daily, please post the exact steps for everyone here.

When I had my iBook G4, I think I had 10.4.7 or .8 on there, and it worked on that. I currently have a MBP C2D, and chaning the MAC via the method outlined above works. They DID change the wireless cards in the upgrade to the C2D, so that may be the issue. If I could, I would remove this damn airport extreme card and install something based on Prism2/2.5 but I havent found any in teh mini PCI express form.

I just tried it on my friends up to date iBook G4 and it doesn't work. There's no error message, but the mac address _doesn't_ change.

It has got to be the new wireless cards.

Man, if i could find a mini PCI express card other than the airport card... I'd be ecstatic. If you manage to track one down let me know.

Man, if i could find a mini PCI express card other than the airport card... I'd be ecstatic. If you manage to track one down let me know.

Buy a USB-to-PCIMCIA adapter. It's like $100-$120. Even if you ever find a PC Express card, there won't be any good drivers for it in linux/mac os x that let you do anything fun with it.

What's a good USB wireless card? This will kill 2 birds with one stone since Kismac can't get both active and passive scanning with Macbook airport cards.

Edit: To clarify, I have the new intel Macbook, so spoofmac doesn't work (it's PPC only)

Edited by Dial Tone