Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsd-roo

good free shell accounts needed

11 posts in this topic

inorder for me to continue on my quest of downloading bittorrent in halls, i would like too know

if anybody know any servers that give away shell accounts for free, the ones im looking for must have

ssh btw. i used to use sdf.lonestar.org, but i dnt think that they give u ssh unless u pay a life time

subscription fee.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

I have one at sdf.lonestar.org

You would like that one it's BSD. NetBSD I believe.

I use silenceisdefeat ...been using it for a while ($1 though), but as for bittorrent, I highly doubt you will even get decent speeds routing traffic through a shell (Ive tried this and the fastest I've gotten on my schools T1 was about 3-4kbps) If you want great speeds I suggest HTTP-Tunnel...it costs $4.95/mo for a premium subscription (theres a free option as well but , free = slow) Ive used that for like 3 months with speeds exceeding 126kbps..

oh and p.s: dont use tor for bittorrent..thats just being an asswipe

*Edit: or you can always setup a tunnel/server AT HOME, and tunnel all your BT traffic via your home connection

Edited by R3c0n

I don't think anyone is going to give you a free account with the bandwidth you're going to need for bittorrent. The free accounts always have limitations, they're free because they use very little reasources. If you want something like that, you're going to have to pay for it. If you're going to pay for something, you might as well get a virtual machine somewhere and have it to yourself. Then again, if you're going to pay for that, you might as well just pay for whatever you're trying to pirate. Easier that way..

Yeah, i thought about the bandwidth problem. i googled before and i have signed up to a few different accounts.

but they all seemed to have a catch to them in a way so that if you don't pay, you only get a standard crap connection.

thats what i wanted to ask. i knew there were servers out there that provides free shell access, but none i came across

that were free and were any good until you pay. hmm guess the idea of bittorrent through a shell account isn't such a good idea

after all. thanks for everyone's input anyways.

It's not a bad idea. It's just bittorrent through a free account is a bad idea.

easynews.com a free file indexer on usenet... Best hidden secret ever.. 10 dollars 20 gigs a month at 600k download speeds for most .. Sometimes it's worth paying a tiny bit for shit at a non 56k speed.

easynews.com a free file indexer on usenet... Best hidden secret ever.. 10 dollars 20 gigs a month at 600k download speeds for most .. Sometimes it's worth paying a tiny bit for shit at a non 56k speed.

$10 for 20GB/mo for usenet? .....last time I used usenet, I only paid $7.00 for UNLIMITED monthly usage and 2 IP's....its been a while I guess.

what ports do usenet use by the way, just out of curiousity.

do you think usenet will work in my halls connection here? it blocked p2p programs like winmx

limewire..etc and also blocked bittorrent downloads. theres no point me paying for it and then finding

out that it doesn't work. i hope it uses http download.

Usenet usage is unlimited and free for me.

My ISP has a server set up.