Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Virtual

Romanias own "Gary McKinnon"

14 posts in this topic

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=2756 !

I have been watching this in romanian newspapers and tv, in blogs and forums since the day he first got arrested because I knew this guy, chatted with him lots of times on IRC in undernet, anyway, I cannot believe how much the press have blown this out of proportion with stuff like "The leader of the WhiteHat hacking group" (which was a irc team that scanned and installed rootkits aka skiddies), "a mastermind if not more" (HAH!), "with his skills he hacked NASA, the Energy company and the navy causing damage in over 1.5 million $" (c'mon, what the hell could he do to cause that much damage, he got the 150 or whatever servers he hacked and jumped up and down on them with his feet ?) and many other such comments. It makes me sick, 1.5 million dollars, 54 years in prisson, extradation and so on and so forth... same discrimination as Gary McKinnon only that in Romania he is seen as a hero by the normal people and as a skiddie that just happened to scan that ip range by the real hackers who know what exactly he did to get into those systems.

In reality it has been said that among those 150 servers he hacked there was one box that was setup exactly for hacking and trapping and anyway they found tons of logs and crap in those 150, enough to prosecute him with no problem, then to make it even more beautifull he went and installed a java type web based chat application for him and his WhiteHat team to chat...

Give me your input on this!

V

Was he just hacking to see if he could do it? It sounds like he was.

Hackers need better PR. It's nuts how "hacking" (most is exploitation) gets blown out of proportion. I almost feel bad for the guy. However, don't hack Military computers. It sounds 1337, but the government actually needs those and my life might depend on one in the near future. NASA servers, on the other hand are usually used for bogus crap that wastes tax dollars. (Let's run a simulation on what would happen if mars was hit with a massive comet.) (Let's try to decode signals from space!) (What if the earth was a cube?) (How many licks does it take to get to the middle of a toosie pop, IN SPACE!)

"with his skills he hacked NASA, the Energy company and the navy causing damage in over 1.5 million $" ...

Didn't they say similar things about Kevin Mitnick?

It just goes to show that there is still about as much understanding about hacking as there was when Kevin was initially arrested, which is to say none! Us hackers do get bad press, and, while there are the 10% out there who hack for the wrong reasons, we will continue to get bad press.

There is a pretty good interview with him that was done last week on THV (last episode of season 6).

If you want more info on Solo check it out. I liked it.

Was he just hacking to see if he could do it? It sounds like he was.

Hackers need better PR. It's nuts how "hacking" (most is exploitation) gets blown out of proportion. I almost feel bad for the guy. However, don't hack Military computers. It sounds 1337, but the government actually needs those and my life might depend on one in the near future. NASA servers, on the other hand are usually used for bogus crap that wastes tax dollars. (Let's run a simulation on what would happen if mars was hit with a massive comet.) (Let's try to decode signals from space!) (What if the earth was a cube?) (How many licks does it take to get to the middle of a toosie pop, IN SPACE!)

=)) kewl tests, I would want to know what if the earth was a cube :P

Anyway he was definetly hacking for the wrong reasons always not just that one time, either just to proove he can or to show the other guys that are hacking for the wrong reasons that he has more hacked servers than them, the male ego could be a bitch sometimes :P

V

From a CNN article on it

After hacking into and taking control of the computers, Faur programmed the machines to operate as chat rooms so he could communicate with other WhiteHat members, Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Hoffstadt said.

Reeeeeeeee-tard

From a CNN article on it
After hacking into and taking control of the computers, Faur programmed the machines to operate as chat rooms so he could communicate with other WhiteHat members, Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Hoffstadt said.

Reeeeeeeee-tard

I hope you aren't serious. You really need to hear his side of the story before you can make any assumptions.

Note: The media also said that Kevin Mitnick could whistle into a phone and take over NORAD. Be careful what you read.

Note: The media also said that Kevin Mitnick could whistle into a phone and take over NORAD. Be careful what you read.

In general, I only believe half of what I see, and nothing that I hear, when the media is involved, I don't believe anything that is not directly related to myself.

Anyway, the media fucked up on this - it was Joe Engressia who could control phones by whistling, and he was a phone phreak, not a "hacker".

Not everything the media said was true but from actually talking with him on some ocassions and some of the whitehat members, scanning, bruteforcing, irc bouncers and the java chat room thingie was true as hell.

(V)

I'm not saying that it's not true, I'm just saying keep and open mind and be objective with what you read.

Obviously he started to get careless, he got caught but that doesn't make him a skiddy/noob/whatever.

Maybe after you break into NASA computers you can call him that but until then...

Ummm, I am not going to comment about your last line because its not me but what I did say I said because I knew him "personally" from IRC and I knew what h did, I did not speak from the media .. umm .. mkay ?

and I didn't say he was skiddy/noob/whatever. I'm sure most have done something that rates as pretty careless, but piping information that could identify you through a hacked host, especially NASA/Gov systems, the ghost of inevitablilty should have been breakdancing his face into the floor.

Maybe after you break into NASA computers you can call him that but until then...

because running nmap (the n0N guIz 3leezombieheadmassiveroflolz) and using a null authentication vnc viewer would make me the massive leetz. internetz ego masturbation ftw.