Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
King Tiger

Can I run this distro?

121 posts in this topic

I asked about minimum requirements for three distros. Then this got off track. Now it appears I am being flamed to ash.

I now know how to use the "ls" command, I was just venting on how n00b friendly it was. I posted the trial-and-error process I had to go through, how is this better than point and click?

Of course I'm being slightly factious with my posts. Do I need to be more understandable? Guess what? You didn't download that help file! Go find it somewhere you n00b. Understand now?

So in order to feed the trolls more food: Stop being elitest snobs. I'm positive everyone here was a n00b once. How did you escape ignorance?

Gentoo is almost certainly not "too slow", seeing as it allows you to install only what you need, and compiles everything for your machine.

Unless you don't feel like waiting 3 hours for X to compile. :P Especially with older machines, and users who don't properly setup their use flags.

topics like these get on my nerves,

the first time I use linux was in 2002. Personally it took me a long time to learn linux around 4 years, on and off. and one year to completely switch over. very very little help, and the help i did get was from the man command. we all learn different, but in the end you're going to have to suck it up and just do it. and you're wasting your time by posting in the topic.

as far has learning linux, the topic is to big to answer in one topic. if you need help on a more narrow topic like a command or a program then we're here to help. No one book, person, or topic is going to give you the answer to use linux.

STFU and "JUST DO IT"

King Tiget you have your point of view about UI which is not completly wrong but if you want to start learning linux I give you the tip to be flexible in your opinions and your knowledge because linux has been known to blow the mind of noobs so if you are not flexible you will just format and reinstall yer old windows.

About linux, most guys installed linux when gui interfaces were a myth or hard to come by, I myself firstly learned linux by working, coding and doing stuff remotly on remote machines in the world, vps's, normal shell acounts on friends boxes and so on, after that I got my hands on a linux cd and spent more than 1.30 hours to install it because it didn't have a ui install but I was very happy when all was finally done on my AMD K6 box.

But not all Linux users are from the ice age, some hackers/coders I know have used linux allmost imediatly after it broke free from unix when mr torvalds decided to create it, i myself am not so old but there are others new that have learned linux only that its a lot difficult for them if they are not flexible, developing and even using open source has to mean that you are flexible and open minded which a lot are not theese days because the closed doors that windows offers, don't get me wrong, i have nothing against windows, i even use it for some stuff, i work i have only windows and my laptop runs dual boot with debian and xp so i am not here to boicot windows.

V

Gentoo is almost certainly not "too slow", seeing as it allows you to install only what you need, and compiles everything for your machine.

Unless you don't feel like waiting 3 hours for X to compile. :P Especially with older machines, and users who don't properly setup their use flags.

Yeah, but once it compiles, it's much faster. This is why Gentoo is my distro of choice.

I asked about minimum requirements for three distros. Then this got off track. Now it appears I am being flamed to ash.

I now know how to use the "ls" command, I was just venting on how n00b friendly it was. I posted the trial-and-error process I had to go through, how is this better than point and click?

Of course I'm being slightly factious with my posts. Do I need to be more understandable? Guess what? You didn't download that help file! Go find it somewhere you n00b. Understand now?

So in order to feed the trolls more food: Stop being elitest snobs. I'm positive everyone here was a n00b once. How did you escape ignorance?

how is it better than point and click? it shows you real results. a UI program is basically just a frontend. And yes everywhere here was a noob not n00b. If you want to use UNIX do the smart thing and do some research before you just plunge in ecspecially if your computer can't handle a good ui. Im not the best linux user and I know it but I looked on the internet for commands, and yes I installed ubuntu with gnome as my first distro but I fired up a terminal everyday for nmap, starting limewire from source, pinging , ifconfig ,etc.. Quite frankly I have a feeling your the ignorant one and you need to ditch the bad habit. And I saw earlier how nonbody has a good ui design and if there isnt a good one out there than what is good, you relize we have at least 10+ Big ui's out there not counting the small unknown projects. If I were you I'd start doing research insted of being an asshat to the community because your too lazy to do some research or your to lazy to not have a ui.

I think what you need to understand is that all the information you are looking for is readily available on the web. When I first got into Linux, I didn't post any questions at all. Why? Because the answers are already all over the internet, you just need to look. Of course once you have at least a basic understanding of things, and you have a genuine problem that you cannot find the answer to, then you post. I suggest searching and posting on this website next time: http://www.linuxquestions.org/

Yes, yes, I know I need to study. Seriously: Anyone know of a good book I could get?

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxpg/

Thanks for the tip Octal, I got that book tonight. It seems pretty solid, yet n00b friendly. I should be XP free in the next 24 hours. As the line on the Boodock Saints goes "see you on the flip side."

Windows Free Baby!

I am now running PC-BSD and it is sweet. It's fast (shockingly) I'm online already. Wireless dosn't work (yet) I wasn't assualted with 10 pop-up baloons at startup. (Booyah!) I'm pretty much in heaven right now. Thanks for the motivation everyone.

Its always nice to see another convert, no matter which distro you run! Congrats to you, and happy hacking!

Windows Free Baby!

I am now running PC-BSD and it is sweet. It's fast (shockingly) I'm online already. Wireless dosn't work (yet) I wasn't assualted with 10 pop-up baloons at startup. (Booyah!) I'm pretty much in heaven right now. Thanks for the motivation everyone.

Why would you have 10 pop ups at startup.

Windows Free Baby!

Thats the beauty of windows - everyone knows Microsoft loves popups!

Windows Free Baby!

Thats the beauty of windows - everyone knows Microsoft loves popups!

I'm using windows right now.

I get no pop ups.

You know, the pop-ups. (Hey your virus database needs updating) (Wireless Network found) (Do you want to connect to a Wireless Network?) (Hey, do you have an antivirus?) (Windows is trying to access the trusted zone, allow?) (WTF is wrong with you, update your antivirus) (Wireless network in range, connect?) (Updates avalaible, click to install) (Your antivirus definitions may be out of date) (1 high level threat blocked) (Don't even think about using linux) (Hey, I found another network, attempting to connect...) (Sign in to MSN please) (Network connected 100mbs per second) (Unable to connect to wireless network) (Hey moron, check for virus updated) (Would you like to upgrade to Windows Vista for $200?) (Connecting to network) (AVG updater is trying to access the internet, allow?) (Unable to connect to wireless network) (MSN is not signed in, why not?) (You have new mail)

I hate that crap. Windows should have a stfu button on the system tray.

You know, the pop-ups. (Hey your virus database needs updating) (Wireless Network found) (Do you want to connect to a Wireless Network?) (Hey, do you have an antivirus?) (Windows is trying to access the trusted zone, allow?) (WTF is wrong with you, update your antivirus) (Wireless network in range, connect?) (Updates avalaible, click to install) (Your antivirus definitions may be out of date) (1 high level threat blocked) (Don't even think about using linux) (Hey, I found another network, attempting to connect...) (Sign in to MSN please) (Network connected 100mbs per second) (Unable to connect to wireless network) (Hey moron, check for virus updated) (Would you like to upgrade to Windows Vista for $200?) (Connecting to network) (AVG updater is trying to access the internet, allow?) (Unable to connect to wireless network) (MSN is not signed in, why not?) (You have new mail)

You missed a couple out : (Your copy of windows may have been pirated) and the fantastic(help make office better) Yeah, I know my copy of windows is pirated, I got it off a mate. And, Yeah, I'll help make office better, I'll delete the damn thing and install OpenOffice instead!

You missed a couple out : (Your copy of windows may have been pirated) and the fantastic(help make office better) Yeah, I know my copy of windows is pirated, I got it off a mate. And, Yeah, I'll help make office better, I'll delete the damn thing and install OpenOffice instead!

I don't get ANY of that.

Lucky. Yes, I have gotten the (Windows Genuine Advantage) thing. I hate Office, I refuse to use it, I hate it. I hate people that like Office. I hate MS Office. It's the most craptacular bit of software you can infect a computer with. $500 too? Are you kidding me?

Lucky. Yes, I have gotten the (Windows Genuine Advantage) thing. I hate Office, I refuse to use it, I hate it. I hate people that like Office. I hate MS Office. It's the most craptacular bit of software you can infect a computer with. $500 too? Are you kidding me?

How many people actually pay for shit?

MS Office is a lot better than any other office suite. There is nothing that compares. A lot of people I know are using tools like Zoho office, and other online office applications. But for local programs, there is no office suite that compares to MS Office.

MS Office is a lot better than any other office suite. There is nothing that compares. A lot of people I know are using tools like Zoho office, and other online office applications. But for local programs, there is no office suite that compares to MS Office.

I like MS Word more then Open Office Org, but this isn't "MS Office VS. Open Office". This is CLI sucks. :lol:

King Tiger....If your a girl, Why aren't you Queen Tiger?

Are you one of Drake Anubis's Furry friends?

well I dont get alot of popups and Im running vista , but glad to hear someone else is trying bsd . Have fun and bsd ftw ( even apple likes bsd )

A. Get a legal copy of Windows? Voila, problem solved.

B. I run MS Office '07. It beats anything that I have ever seen hands down. I :heart: it.

B. I run MS Office '07. It beats anything that I have ever seen hands down. I :heart: it.

What important things can you do in Office '07 that you can't do in Open Office 2.2? What are the main advantages of Office '07 over Office '97?