Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
King Tiger

Can I run this distro?

121 posts in this topic

I'm very close to being Windoze free. As soon as I find a distro I like, Bye XP!

However I'm a n00b, and need a little help. I did a little searching, and can't find this information readly avalaible. I'm running a 500mhz P3 with 256mb RAM. Can I have a decent user experience with OpenSUSE, CentOS, or PC-BSD? Gentoo is far too slow for my computer, and I'm pretty sure Sabyon won't run. Ubuntu is slow and partially works. SLAX works, and Backtrack, which is based on SLAX, works great. I think Zenwalk would work, but that's a last choice because of look-and-feel issues I have. Anyway, can I run CentOS? (my first choice)

With speed issues, disregarding package management (like Gentoo's source based, as opposed to the binary-based) I think the real deciding factor is what window manager you're going to run. Either run KDE or Gnome with the effects turned down, or a light one like fluxbox or WindowMaker and you should be fine.

If not already installed these window managers should be available in your distro's package management repositories. If I remember correctly, CentOS uses yum.

I just picked me up another computer for free on trash day that is better then that, not trying to sound like a complete ass. I'm running a P4 1.5Ghz. I'm hardly making it will the gnome windows manger, I need a better WM. look for a distro that dose not use KDE or Gnome for the desktop. which I think all those do by default.

I think it was an accident.

As long as you stick with a lighter desktop on a P3, you shouldn't have much difficulty.

You could also stop being lazy, and learn how to use CLI :-P

I'm sure his multiple posting was an accident as well, the network here randomly goes haywire.

Edited by stderr

Hey do you know how to stop people from haxoring my XP box?

CLI is SO 1986. The real reason it exists is because most linux developers don't know anything about interface design. Come to think of it, neither does Microsoft. Apple on the other hand... All they have going for them is UI

/me slaps King Tiger around with a large trout.

You are totally wrong.

If you are not ready for a CLI don't install any *nix (including OS X)

Install a anti-virus, you probably have some spyware.

CLI is SO 1986. The real reason it exists is because most linux developers don't know anything about interface design. Come to think of it, neither does Microsoft. Apple on the other hand... All they have going for them is UI

ok................

All posts from other identical threads merged into this one.

yes I vote Xubuntu too, just found out that Xfce kick ass.

.....ummmm ok

Psh.. XFCE is oldschool.

Fluxbox is where it's at.

Anyway. I never did like Zenwalk.

Package management was crap, and you can't use Slackware packages because they use different installation directory's blah blah blah.

Needless to say, I ended up needing to do a lot of unnecessary work just to get core apps running.

As for CLI, go get yourself a book with linux commands. Otherwise don't bother.

Even with a gui, I end up doing most of everything from the CLI anyways. I find changing directory's with the keyboard is much easier and faster.

Psh.. XFCE is oldschool.

Fluxbox is where it's at.

Anyway. I never did like Zenwalk.

Package management was crap, and you can't use Slackware packages because they use different installation directory's blah blah blah.

Needless to say, I ended up needing to do a lot of unnecessary work just to get core apps running.

As for CLI, go get yourself a book with linux commands. Otherwise don't bother.

Even with a gui, I end up doing most of everything from the CLI anyways. I find changing directory's with the keyboard is much easier and faster.

you wist it was oldschool, come and say that to my face.

XFCE is probably the easiest lightweight windows manager to use. Personally I don't really like it but if you want easy you should go with that. The P3 may be able to run kde decently once the eyecandy is turned down but you're better off just going with a lightweight windows manager. Distrowise I'd stay away from zenwalk for the reasons mentioned above as well as opensuse. Your best bet would be xubuntu, slackware, or fedora(not using kde or gnome). There really is no reason to use a source based distro and you're really not missing out on anything. But if you don't want to use the Comand line, stay away from *nix because it really isn't what you want.

Edited by livinded

CentOS is designed to run on servers (alternative to RHEL?), so it won't be a good desktop distro.

But if you don't want to use the Comand line, stay away from *nix because it really isn't what you want.

I agree.

I have a P3 hat runs xUbuntu nicely.

I recently set my grandmother up with a Pentium III 550 MHz machine with 128 MB RAM. It runs Slackware 11 with XFCE. It's not an absolute fireball, but it performs better than it would if it had Windows XP installed on it. XFCE is a good choice for an easy-to-use GUIl; personally, I like fluxbox, and run it on my fast machines as well as my slow ones.

EDIT: CLI isn't just because Linux developers don't know how to use graphical interfaces -- GTK, etc, provide easy ways to interface graphically. I find it very useful to do things from the CLI rather than graphically. For instance, I'd rather use irssi than one of the graphical IRC clients, or do file manipulation from the CLI (or at the most Midnight Commander) than a graphical manager. To each their own, though!

Edited by systems_glitch

If nobody has a good ui than who's ui do you like??? and the command line is not because they don't know anything , I run os x and I see myself using my bash terminal for irc,ports,nmap,ssh,etc... . and like everyone else says use xubuntu or a fluxbox distro .(ps: try not to say such ignorant things before you post)

Stick with XP, windows user.

No need to do that. I understand where's she's at.

A while ago I was in her position. So I picked up a linux command line booked and learned it in a week or so.

Some things can only be done via the command line.

Such as permissions. It'll confuse the heck out of you.

Also. It's easier to go "apt-get install "packagename"

Then dig around synaptic till you find it.

A gui can be nice, but limiting.

That's why I don't like Gnome or XFCE or even KDE

I actually reccomend Fluxbuntu. Ubuntu and fluxbox had sex. And this is the Skinny smart kid. Kde is the rich fat bratty kid, Gnome is a short weird kid with a beard. And XFCE is a normal plain kid with no discernible talents.

That's how I see it :P

Edited by gloomer

Xubuntu is _really_ good for older machines. By speed and by hardware recognition. I do however do not like XFCE as much as I used to... another topic.

However:

If you really want that computer to scream, get Openbox, pypanel, and adesktlets. IMO

My .02, which I know a lot of people on here will dissagree with:

Use xUbuntu until you know a little about what you're doing, and have some experience in a unix environment. Once you know what you're doing, you'll come to the realization that linux blows, and will probably start going back and forth between various linux distros like so many other people that post on here. I urge you to save yourself the time and frustration by moving to NetBSD as quickly as possible, but only after you know what you're doing. That operating system does require a bit more user experience, but it works a lot better than Linux does, and will wind up saving you frustration in the end. You could try FreeBSD, but on an older machine, you might benefit from NetBSD's smaller base install.