Alk3

Beryl on Debian

15 posts in this topic

I got really bored last night and set up Beryl on my Debian Etch lappy. I have it all pimped out, except I cant figure out how to change the background on virtual workspaces. It just shows up empty and I can see right through to the back of the skydome and the other workspaces. So, how can I extend the workspace 1 background to show up on all 4 workspaces?

I'm sure this is really simple, like a checkbox needs checking or something. I checked google, but my google skills must be uber bad. I can only find tons and tons of tutorials of how to install Beryl- not configure it. Any help would be awesome.

Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about:

I install beryl on ubuntu and there was a program called the beryl-manager that allowed everything to be configured. In the manager there is a slider that allows you to adjust a number of things including opacity.

wuts debian?

Your running windows I take it? Or perhaps mac?

Edit: What has an h and Debian is a noun, grammar is your friend.

Edited by Drake Anubis

wuts debian?

Your running windows I take it? Or perhaps mac?

Edit: What has an h and Debian is a noun, grammar is your friend.

Says the guy who called people sheple, and talked about mutiple mice. That's only the past hour or so too.

(Better composition in that sentence wouldn't you agree?)

Edited by sw1tchbl4de

Says the guy who called people sheple, and talked about mutiple mice.

Some people are sheep, like the classic "cactus?" example, and did you expect me to say multiple mouseses?

Edited by Drake Anubis

People are sheep or sheeple, not sheple like you wrote in the other thread. You can use multiple mice or mouses for all I care. You are the one who seems to care about spelling enough to bitch. To bad you misspelled multiple too.

Edited by sw1tchbl4de

People are sheep or sheeple, not sheple like you wrote in the other thread. You can use multiple mice or mouses for all I care. You are the one who seems to care about spelling enough to bitch. To bad you misspelled multiple too.

Well I don't really care about spelling but when you use punctuation (like you did this time, thanks) it makes it much easier to read.

fuckn i hate my job werkn at the fone company. that place sucks.

Looks a lot nicer as

Fucking, I hate my job working at the phone company. That place sucks.

It just makes it easier to read, and you sound like to know what your talking about. You have to understand we get a lot of people who come and make one post like:

"hey i need to hak some shit on some1s myspace and i want some1 to like tell me how and if u dont yur not 1337"

You know, those kinds of people.

Edited by Drake Anubis

I'm sure this is really simple, like a checkbox needs checking or something. I checked google, but my google skills must be uber bad. I can only find tons and tons of tutorials of how to install Beryl- not configure it. Any help would be awesome.

beryl wiki general options

hey switchblade,

do you know why most forums and discussion boards shows you how long each member has been here,

how many posts they have made and how many stars they get? because it shows you that a particular member

has been here longer than you, discussed and solved problems with other members and from the sound of it

a lot more intelligent than you. i seriously doubt that Drake/Anubis can think slower than you even if he tried.

"wut's debian?"

No, he is not the only one here who hate people that does not use proper grammar.

We have had this problem with another member in the last few weeks if you read our boards.

Use beryl-manager like Drake said. You might have to change the number of virtual desktops in it. I am not sure. Or you could probably reset it all to defaults and it might work.

Wow, my thread has been hi-jacked...

Anyway, I have been all over the beryl wiki. By default the beryl-manager and emerald theme manager are installed in Debian. I have all the cool effects, just can not get the background to show up on the other workspaces when I switch back and forth. (like the screenshot shows above) If anyone has an idea let me know. Until then, I will try my luck with google. I'm probably not typing in the right term, though. :D

@ sw1tchbl4de

Debian is an operating system based on Linux. Google is your friend and I suggest you use it... First you should look up a couple ebooks on English, then __maybe__ look up Debian. Then drop your attitude because it is really really annoying. I don't want you to post back here either since this isn't a thread about you. Go here:

http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?sho...c=29070&hl=

I figured everything out other than how to set a desktop images for the other workspaces. :( Do I need to have something extra for this? I'm no idiot, and this is new to me.

I've just installed Debian Etch on my PC, after using slackware for about 4 months. Hehe, I do appreciate debian a lot now :)

Once 3D acceleration will be set up, I'll give beryl a try...

I've just installed Debian Etch on my PC, after using slackware for about 4 months. Hehe, I do appreciate debian a lot now :)

Once 3D acceleration will be set up, I'll give beryl a try...

took me about a half hour and no difficulty. this should help the process:

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install/Debian