systems_glitch

Troxler Portable Scaler 200 B

6 posts in this topic

A friend discovered this being junked from his department's lab:

post-2713-1175047435_thumb.jpg

It's a Troxler Portable Scaler, Model 200 B. It seems to be one of Troxler Laboratories' first products: the date on the (now dead) internal battery was 1958!

This device seems to be a nuclear decay counter, of very high precision. It runs on Dekatron tubes, which are the old vacuum tube equivalent of a decade counter/divider. Unfortunately, it was left outside in the weather for a day before being discovered, so it's not entirely in working condition. All but one of the Dekatrons, however, are functional -- the one that wasn't got cracked (allowing air to enter the glass envelope, thus ruining the tube -- which was originally neon-filled, rather than containing a vacuum).

It seems to contain some very early "integrated circuits" -- small PC boards containing modular circuits, using octal tube sockets to connect them to the rest of the equipment:

post-2713-1175047783_thumb.jpg

Inside:

post-2713-1175047823_thumb.jpg

Notice the old silver-can transistors -- they are 2N1404 /Germanium/ transistors!

The design and wiring in the device is immaculate:

post-2713-1175047944_thumb.jpg

post-2713-1175047974_thumb.jpg

The tubular bases of the actual Dekatrons contain a small "integrated circuit" as well:

post-2713-1175048032_thumb.jpg

post-2713-1175048048_thumb.jpg

All of the pictures are stored here: http://computernik.cjb.cc/images/Scaler/

Awesome, now you just need nuclear decay.

Very nice! Based on the date, 1958, it was either very well taken care of or not used hardly at all.

And if you need a radioactive source try tearing apart a smoke alarm. I've heard the smoke sensors are radioactive.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Geiger-Muller tube probe for it! For those who don't know, a Geiger-Muller tube is used to detect radiation: it's a vacuum tube, in which a high voltage (usually > 700 V) is applied. When a radiation particle (gamma, beta, or alpha) crosses the vacuum and strikes one of the plates, a current flows for a very small interval. This is what causes the characteristic clicking in Geiger counters -- it can also be used as a pulse into a counting circuit.

From what I understand, it broke some time ago and got stuck in a storage room, where it lived for a while. When they were cleaning it out, no one could remember or figure out what it was, only that it was marked as non-working.

Except for having been left in the weather (they'd sat it on the curb for my friend to pick up, and a bit of rain got in it) and a cracked Dekatron tube, it seems to be largely intact. The high voltage circuit seems to be dead (which would've provided a HV supply to the Geiger-Muller tube, if I had it). I've plugged it in, after drying out the circuit modules, and the AC Charging light lit up, along with three of the Dekatron tubes. However, when I switch on the HV selector, everything dies, and a high-pitched noise can be heard.

The HV circuits (there's two...one for the 400-500 V supply to the Dekatrons, and a 1000-15000 V supply for the HV probe) are pretty neat: they use simple resistor-capacitor networks with two transistors to drive toroidal transformers!

Micro Geiger Mueller Tube

Only $34.95... Come-on.... You know you want it. ;)

That probe looks like it's too small, though -- the voltage requirements are too low, and it's designed /primarily/ for detecting gamma radiation. For the most part, anything I'd be checking would be alpha/beta emitters.

However, it would be really cool to build my own Geiger counter...I could either work up my own driver circuit, or use one similar to the CDV-700 (the extremely common Cold War Civil Defense Geiger counter). That might be something to consider when I get a little extra cash!