joshua50187

My Own OS

141 posts in this topic

Badass, I'm writing my OS in lisp (on top of a nanokernel written in ASM) so that it can rewrite itself :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Now that would be badass. Imagine an OS that audits itself in the background and then rewrites itself to be more secure. And at the same time it could use it's super artificial intelligence to "evolve" tools that would be useful for the user, which it can write itself.

I'll have it done by next Tuesday. :P

It's not meant to be a functional, well written OS, just something to toy with. It's actually coming together reasonably well.

it's super artificial intelligence to "evolve" tools that would be useful for the user

screw the user, I'm going to be the only user, it won't even approach the level that it could be used as a serious OS.

Is your shell emacs? yuck!

You betcha!

Edited by slacker

Except we've already provided a multitude of (more informative) links for him.

Except we've already provided a multitude of (more informative) links for him.

And more is bad? Don't hinder the remains of sanity in this thread. Good link == good post.

I didn't mean to imply more is bad; I was simply contradicting his idea that all of us were too nooby to help him out.

I didn't mean to imply more is bad; I was simply contradicting his idea that all of us were too nooby to help him out.

That wasn't what I meant. I was saying that most of us aren't elite enough to attempt what he is attempting.

An analogy would be if all of us were pole vaulting under 10 feet, and someone came up saying he was going to try beat Sergei Bubka with a 21 foot vault. You can laugh at his failure, but you should respect him for the attempt. We are all vaulting under 10 feet, so we really have no right to laugh at the ambitions of anyone considering our ambitions could be laughed at for being so low.

Edited by greeniguana00

Sorry noobs, you're not going anywhere that way. When will you learn this simple motto "start small"?

:( We can't start small, we have to enlarge our e-peen through gigantousnormos claims to make us feel better about already being small. :(

I've used Bochs for osdev before. It's not a virtualizing emulator (as in, no emulated instructions run directly on the metal, it's all emulated) and in some ways that's better. It's easier to set up and you have more control over the execution environment. I also vaguely remember a bochs debugger that allows you to stop the virtual machine and examine its state. Also worth noting that real machine and emulated machines all have their quirks. System code that runs on bochs might not run on a real machine without some tweaking.

For the sake of learning i will go with Bochs.

Don't be discouraged by the comments saying that the task of making an entire operating system from scratch is close to impossible. It is certainly not an easy task, but as we all know, it's been done before ... http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html

Tue, 27-Sep-83 12:35:59 EST

Free Unix!

Starting this Thanksgiving I am going to write a complete

Unix-compatible software system called GNU (for Gnu's Not Unix), and

give it away free to everyone who can use it.

[...]

Richard Stallman

Almost 25 years later and HURD isn't done yet ;)

(To be fair, Linux stole its thunder and they do have every other part, just no kernel!)

Hold on, as soon as i read this post i didn't even know how to put it in words. its taken me a full minute to

absorb this and take it in. About one month or maybe a little bit longer than that, i read your first post on this forum.

you told people that you had been playing around with Linux for a long time and in the same post you asked for

help installing fedora core 6 with anaconda the Graphical installer, that seemed abit fishy to me when i read the line

of "using Linux on spare laptops for a while now" and "stuck installing fedora core using a GUI because i have no idea what a partition is".

come on... are we talking bull here??? and just this morning i read your post about an ndis-wrapper. ok, alot of times some people get stuck

trying to get this to work, but you made it sound like you didn't know what a kernel is and why the ndis-wrapper didn't work???

and now in the same day, i am reading a post about writing your own operating system??? are you kidding me?

your last post in the other topic says you prefer to work in command line anyways?!?!?! why don't you learn from the start

with the GUI, then start and learn the commands, then start learning about the kernel and preferably learn a programming language

and then finally dream of making your own OS. do you think that people will laugh at you if you are not "leet" ?

maybe telling people that i work only in command lines and starting my own OS will make people listen to me???

asking is good, but please do not try and upset the people in the forum by, asking how to install FC6 with anaconda in week 1 and then

ask how to write an OS in week 2.

i think people will just think that you're ars-ing around and not really wanting to learn.

maybe it is just me who has read your posts in the last month and feel alittle bit confused

i posted that cause i wanted to partition the hard drive to fit windows and linux not to install just linux big difference

i don't care what people think of me but your taking just a couple of curios help posts and thinking you know what i am capable of and i don't mean this to be rude in anyway i know im not 1337 very far from it but i am setting a goal

i get bored with things after awhile so i focus on many things at once i have ADD so i learn a couple of things liek in language i learned spanish and portugese at the same time cause it was difficult to keep my attention i use to really good at C but just lost focus on it and i do know C was made to create OSes

i don't know i m just shooting for the stars and keeping me going it's dream i have not a oh im starting it right now just i would liek to start on learning what i need to do it the way i want to

Personally, I think you should get a comfortable grasp on grammar and punctuation as it relates to the English language. Learn English before you consider a programming language.

Forum posts do not have to be perfect, but it would be nice if you could tell where your sentences end and another begins.

Almost 25 years later and HURD isn't done yet ;)

(To be fair, Linux stole its thunder and they do have every other part, just no kernel!)

It's in the nature of software never to actually be done :P Just like Linux the HURD is a work in progress; just not that big of a priority as Linux works just fine. A free and complete operating system was the gold, and that is what we have got.

You should focus on learning how your current OS works first.

Well, maybe that's harder than osdev.

First I would not even bother with any *nix crap.. I think this is an awesome idea.. The concept is idea 1, must have some ancient mythos or relic of symbol that is based in fantasy.. For an example of a similar concept I was story boarding called Ageypt OS with the adse filesys (Atlantis Dimension Egypt Stonehinge). I would grab an 8086, modded xbox, nes 8 bit, Atari xl, xbox360 amiga 1000, amstrad, and a PDA plus a fairly modern Duo Core Mac or Pc. I think the more different hardware with theories and concepts that have been abanonded , might create a ambiance of a language that could be very fuzzy logic and create a whole new ballpark in the ways we could use machines and re-use old ones as well.. Perhaps something similar to how Davinci used to create paintings.. He would draw the skeleton first, add the muscles and tissues, and then create the flesh finally.. I think any thing is possible and creating quantum computing would have been laughable spoken 4 years ago.. So go for it.. And remember these are just random ideas, let the nitpickers begin and await all the complaints.. But go for it!

i love your repliea all of you there great and i do have alot of assembler tutorials

the reason i want to do this is more or less set a over the top very large goal then in 4 years see how far i have gotten i will eventually do it

no coping for me completely from scratch all of it my own work besides the assembler just mine

and i might be trying to run before i walk but i already know to pick my self back up when i fall

i have the determination to do this project

so any other advice people might have would be great please keep it coming

First I would not even bother with any *nix crap.. I think this is an awesome idea.. The concept is idea 1, must have some ancient mythos or relic of symbol that is based in fantasy.. For an example of a similar concept I was story boarding called Ageypt OS with the adse filesys (Atlantis Dimension Egypt Stonehinge). I would grab an 8086, modded xbox, nes 8 bit, Atari xl, xbox360 amiga 1000, amstrad, and a PDA plus a fairly modern Duo Core Mac or Pc. I think the more different hardware with theories and concepts that have been abanonded , might create a ambiance of a language that could be very fuzzy logic and create a whole new ballpark in the ways we could use machines and re-use old ones as well.. Perhaps something similar to how Davinci used to create paintings.. He would draw the skeleton first, add the muscles and tissues, and then create the flesh finally.. I think any thing is possible and creating quantum computing would have been laughable spoken 4 years ago.. So go for it.. And remember these are just random ideas, let the nitpickers begin and await all the complaints.. But go for it!

umm...what...the...fuck?

umm...what...the...fuck?

:huh:

Same here. I can't tell if it's an attempt at humor or strung out ravings.

You guy's just don't have the mental capacity for such an elaborate paragraph.

Writing a small OS is very much plausible...

See AtheOS (the most impressive piece of coding i have ever seen by one person), MenuetOS, DexOS, SolarOS.

www.osdev.org

www.osdever.net

i dont understand a word of what's written there.

rewrite!

I think he is talking about writing an os for some archane system then porting it to other archane systems to eventually create a super portable os. which would be cool if you you had nothing else to do.