joshua50187

My Own OS

141 posts in this topic

Is this some kind of joke? :blink:

I swear to god this is not a joke i want to create everything from scratch everything i am the type of person who loves to learn but has a poor attentin span it sucks ass but i want to make everything my self i would make the assembler if i could well i could but i thought i would just skip that one part and just rip it out of the OS when i m done with the C compiler

i don't have a mind reading ability im just naturally amazing with psychology and understanding the human brain and its thought pattern

Edited by Avatar/Oroborus

So what's the hold-up? You might have it done by the time your 65 <_<

Edited by phax

1 i want a completely mine OS with no Code help from any one so no i don't want to base it on any other

2 and very functional but still be mostly independent

I know it sounds impossible or over the top but i do want to do this

and i regret a couple things i say but not all

I know My english is bad but trust me im working on it. I will ask smaller questions for now on, to me my questions are good.

1: hahaha. have fun with that; no one is going to help you with that.

2: "" ""

your questions are too broad. just read everything we gave you. and if you don't have enough time:

http://www.school-for-champions.com/grades/reading.htm

ok so yeah i am stupid good and i focus on many different subject to keep my attention it's like i read a book get bored and instead of walking around aimlessly i read a totally different book get bored switch back

just I'm working on my punctuation and my sentence structure

just please work with me

i try my best

for those who don't know I'm german so ok i will try to wirte in german and stick it in a translator but they mostly are wrong in the word structure

so anyone who can help with this subject would be great instead of worrying about my ADD im trying to get some info from people on how i would recieve the info on how to do this besides going to college for it

i thank all of you for your help (that really did help) i will not reply to this one agian i will follow up on what everyone has gave me already and i think you for all of your time

Look up SkyOS.

But if you want to make an OS start with assembly, dont expect much in four years.

for those who don't know I'm german so ok i will try to wirte in german and stick it in a translator but they mostly are wrong in the word structure

newbitmapimageqe5.jpg

You live in San Jose and you don't know English?

ok so i want to make my own os from completely from scratch and i mean totally from scratch the only thing im not going to make is the assembler im going to have a blank hard drive and everything im but i need some help in being pushed in the right direction

*cackles*

Learning where to put periods and other punctuation is a good start.

Start learning the assembly language for the architecture of your choice. x86, x64, etc. Each architecture has it's own assembly language.

Also:

OSdev

Edited by deadc0de

yes i live in CA i now live in san mateo but yeah i moved here to usa about 3 years ago i learnt to speak english through other people and learnt how to read it on chat rooms and aim punctuation isn't a big deal on there so i suck at it i was born in Munich, DE

Windows, Linux, whatever OS you look at that's popular nowadays, they were not written by one person in a matter of several years. Windows is about 20 now if I remember correctly. Linux was born around ~'92 and it's still being perfected. I recommend the link to osdever.net that was posted a few times already if you're going to get really serious about this. Just remember, be sure to understand exactly what you're doing. A year from now if you have a bootable kernel I will be impressed. ;)

Why would you want to write a C compiler BTW? Even new operating systems port most of their software over AFAIK, and writing compilers is no easy feat either.

yes i live in CA i now live in san mateo but yeah i moved here to usa about 3 years ago i learnt to speak english through other people and learnt how to read it on chat rooms and aim punctuation isn't a big deal on there so i suck at it i was born in Munich, DE

Well, that explains one thing at least. IM-speak is completely unacceptable in most other contexts. The real-time aspect of IM and chat rooms leads to people taking a lot of shortcuts, and it's OK in that context. However, IM and chat rooms are extremely informal, and such things are acceptable, if not expected. But just like I don't call my grandmother and say "wazzap?!", I don't use IM-speak in other contexts (my grammar is indeed a bit lessened on IM, but I type very quickly, so it's not really an issue of saving time). You shouldn't either, especially after you've seen the reaction you get here using IM-speak. So just remember for the future, keep IM-speak to IM and chat, that's where it belongs. Anywhere else, it's just unacceptable. Maybe you should brush up on English in one of your 15 English books you bought with your $4,000 a month book budget. (Sorry, couldn't help myself there.)

well i am special...

wow my mama tells me I'm special too.

109704bgJF_w.jpg

we must have road the special bus together, sorry I don't remember you, but it was a big bus.

Well, that explains one thing at least. IM-speak is completely unacceptable in most other contexts. The real-time aspect of IM and chat rooms leads to people taking a lot of shortcuts, and it's OK in that context. However, IM and chat rooms are extremely informal, and such things are acceptable, if not expected. But just like I don't call my grandmother and say "wazzap?!", I don't use IM-speak in other contexts (my grammar is indeed a bit lessened on IM, but I type very quickly, so it's not really an issue of saving time). You shouldn't either, especially after you've seen the reaction you get here using IM-speak. So just remember for the future, keep IM-speak to IM and chat, that's where it belongs. Anywhere else, it's just unacceptable. Maybe you should brush up on English in one of your 15 English books you bought with your $4,000 a month book budget. (Sorry, couldn't help myself there.)

I was born in germany and now live in the US. I have friends in Germany that speak and type far better English than him. Something leads me to believe someone's not telling the full truth.

well i am special...

wow my mama tells me I'm special too.

109704bgJF_w.jpg

we must have road the special bus together, sorry I don't remember you, but it was a big bus.

ahahahaahahaahahahaaha

i ride that small bus.

seriously, i do, i'm not retarded or anything, everyone on my road got switched.

Edited by Octal

Well, most foreign people I know who speak/type English as a second language do so very well. However, he claims to have learned English from AOL, in which case, he speaks not English but a dialect of English. I had often wondered before what would happen if someone learned English from AOL, and I guess now we know. God help us all..

Well, most foreign people I know who speak/type English as a second language do so very well. However, he claims to have learned English from AOL, in which case, he speaks not English but a dialect of English. I had often wondered before what would happen if someone learned English from AOL, and I guess now we know. God help us all..

lol, ohm you are such a bastard

99% of what I was going to say has already been said, so I'm not going to bother typing it.

The other 1% is this:

/me plants tongue firmly in cheek

If you're starting with a bare hard drive and an assembler, why bother with the bare hard drive? Why not create your own hard drive? While you're at it, why not your own motherboard as well? Hell, let's go crazy and see you create your own CPU architecture, motherboard, etc. etc. etc. Remember, it's all your own, no copying off anyone else! :nono: I'm sure you could learn how to do this yourself! :roll:

Best of luck.

/me removes tongue from cheek.

:cuss: :stfu: :cuss:

OK, let's see, first things first, the basic structure of the OS.

Files - You're gonna want to handle files, do you want the typical stateful, hierarchy based filesystems, or would you prefer to have universal persistence for data, and skip the idea of files totally?

Memory - Do you want virtual addressing? Should the memory be shared or separate?

Networking - You said you wanted this OS to be all your own, so I guess that means BSD's TCP/IP stack is out of the question, have fun writing your own.

GUI - Whatever you do, let's hope it's not the abomination unto to gods that X11 is.

Devices - Again, you're gonna do this from scratch? Better start getting all the hardware specifications you can get your hands on.

Processes - What road will you take here? There's some neat experimental stuff about "processless" operating systems abound, where you use lightweight threads to act as processes, without sharing memory, this generally requires a 64bit architecture under the hood. Also, let's not forget process queuing and scheduling, and how you will optimize them for decent performance.

So, you should start looking into the topics of filesystems, memory management, TCP/IP, device interfaces, processes, process management, machine architecture, processor architecture, and of course systems programming, to be able to implement all these things.

Here's some helpful links:

http://dept-info.labri.fr/~strandh/gracle.ps

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/

http://coyotos.org/

http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/index.html

http://www.minix3.org/

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/research/xinu.html

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd.html

http://programatica.cs.pdx.edu/House/

http://www.l4ka.org/publications/

Edited by lambda

And forget about much of a social (or family) life if you decide to actually do this.

I'm not sure why exactly, but most women aren't attracted to OS programmers.

Ohm is the smartest bastard ever.

;)

I used to Program OS's all the time. I was the nations top OS Programmer in 87'

If you're hell-bent on actually creating an OS in Assembly, I'd recommend starting with a hardware platform that has a very simple instruction set: try something like a PIC microcontroller. They're cheap, easy to use, and allow for direct writing of Assembly code to their flash memory. They're also erasable, and very well documented. They have, IIRC, 30-some Assembly instructions.

As to uniqueness, you've about summed it up yourself...

i am unigue just like everyone else

Guess it's a product of the times...everyone scrambling madly to find their "individual" identity for fear of being swallowed up in the faceless masses; so much so that even the "subcultures" feel the need to. The "Roaring 20's," the post-Vietnam America...same difference, I guess.

Anyway, good luck. I know the Assembly course for the CS department here is pretty dreaded by most CS majors. Especially the part in which they're required to write their own OS (it's on a virtual MIPS machine; not even the real hardware). And these are people with 2-3 years college experience in CS!

ok so yeah i am stupid good and i focus on many different subject to keep my attention it's like i read a book get bored and instead of walking around aimlessly i read a totally different book get bored switch back

just please work with me

i try my best

so anyone who can help with this subject would be great instead of worrying about my ADD im trying to get some info from people on how i would recieve the info on how to do this besides going to college for it

i thank all of you for your help (that really did help) i will not reply to this one agian i will follow up on what everyone has gave me already and i think you for all of your time

can you atleast use commas and full stops? i am running out of breath just reading your posts.

you're not the only one who's native language isn't English, try going to school.

just please work with me

i try my best

can you atleast use commas and full stops? i am running out of breath just reading your posts.

you're not the only one who's native language isn't English, try going to school.

Your reading his post out loud?

If you're hell-bent on actually creating an OS in Assembly, I'd recommend starting with a hardware platform that has a very simple instruction set: try something like a PIC microcontroller. They're cheap, easy to use, and allow for direct writing of Assembly code to their flash memory. They're also erasable, and very well documented. They have, IIRC, 30-some Assembly instructions.

The PIC is an odd machine though. It's Harvard architecture (seperate code and data memory busses) and doesn't have a memory controller. I don't know how much of an "OS" you can put on it. The OS would be more like DOS, more like an extended BIOS to help you get things done. In that case, the BASIC interpreters and compilers you see for PIC are "operating systems." You're stretching it a bit here. You need something closer to a real computer to make a real OS. Learning a few extra instructions isn't that hard, if that's all you're trying to avoid.