joshua50187

My Own OS

141 posts in this topic

ok so i want to make my own os from completely from scratch and i mean totally from scratch the only thing im not going to make is the assembler im going to have a blank hard drive and everything im but i need some help in being pushed in the right direction

Thats a very impressive goal, why have you decided to do this?

This topic contains some fine information about OS development. This website and this one have some great information on OS development. GNU's GRUB is a nice bootloader to use.

As BigBrother mentioned, knowledge of assembly helps out a lot. Google around for tutorials or check your local library for a book.

I don't suggest making an operating system for the money, because from my experience, they are insanely hard to make and become fully usable. By usable, I mean you would use that OS for working/web browsing because it's superior than the other OS. Make an operating system to learn how to make an operating system.

Considering you don't know how to use a function, what memory allocation is, and couldn't figure out the most basic building blocks of a language like C++, what makes you think you will all of a sudden be able to make an operating system or for that matter be able to learn assembly? Sure maybe you can copy and paste someone elses bootable kernel that doesn't do anything yet from one of the examples an maybe make a few changes or change the name of it in the application, but maybe you should try learning how to crawl before learning how to run.

Well, like Livinded said judging by some of your threads in programming.. you might have a hard time. But good luck. The osdever.net website has lots of examples and things like that.

Whats wrong with the current operating systems? Surely you could bend linux or bsd to do whatever you want, there are versions of linux/bsd which are REALLY barebones which would save you a lot of time.

google OSdev and you'll find a list of a bunch of big active OS development forums that'll help you out.

Aiming high is one thing, aiming for the moon is another. Take it a little slower man, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Making an OS in assembly is an excessive amount of work. If you don't have the ambition to finish learning C, I don't think you're going to get far on OSdev (especially with assembly). There's a lot to learn, an OS is not a trivial program by any metric.

Master C first. Know it very well, know and when to use every major feature. Write many smaller programs first. An operating system is thousands of lines of C code, probably 7 to 10 times that in assembly. It's true, you can write most components on their own and test them as userspace programs, but if you don't have the skills to do that, you won't have the skills to both write and integrate the component into your OS code. If you're aiming for the moon, you need to know how to build the complicated rocket that'll get your there, not just theoretically know how each piece works. Presuming you can learn the techniques along the way is not only harebrained, but masochistic.

I can't tell you what to do, but if you keep jumping from subject to subject (and from skill level to skill level), you're only going to end up frustrated. Finish learning C first, then study OSdev and write it in C. An operating system (especially in assembler) is not a beginner's project and you don't seem to have the self-sufficiency to get the job done. You need to take things slower.

Then again, feel free to ignore me. The others have given you plenty of good links, sink your teeth if you think that's the right thing to do.

Hold on, as soon as i read this post i didn't even know how to put it in words. its taken me a full minute to

absorb this and take it in. About one month or maybe a little bit longer than that, i read your first post on this forum.

you told people that you had been playing around with Linux for a long time and in the same post you asked for

help installing fedora core 6 with anaconda the Graphical installer, that seemed abit fishy to me when i read the line

of "using Linux on spare laptops for a while now" and "stuck installing fedora core using a GUI because i have no idea what a partition is".

come on... are we talking bull here??? and just this morning i read your post about an ndis-wrapper. ok, alot of times some people get stuck

trying to get this to work, but you made it sound like you didn't know what a kernel is and why the ndis-wrapper didn't work???

and now in the same day, i am reading a post about writing your own operating system??? are you kidding me?

your last post in the other topic says you prefer to work in command line anyways?!?!?! why don't you learn from the start

with the GUI, then start and learn the commands, then start learning about the kernel and preferably learn a programming language

and then finally dream of making your own OS. do you think that people will laugh at you if you are not "leet" ?

maybe telling people that i work only in command lines and starting my own OS will make people listen to me???

asking is good, but please do not try and upset the people in the forum by, asking how to install FC6 with anaconda in week 1 and then

ask how to write an OS in week 2.

i think people will just think that you're ars-ing around and not really wanting to learn.

maybe it is just me who has read your posts in the last month and feel alittle bit confused

Hold on, as soon as i read this post i didn't even know how to put it in words. its taken me a full minute to

absorb this and take it in. About one month or maybe a little bit longer than that, i read your first post on this forum.

you told people that you had been playing around with Linux for a long time and in the same post you asked for

help installing fedora core 6 with anaconda the Graphical installer, that seemed abit fishy to me when i read the line

of "using Linux on spare laptops for a while now" and "stuck installing fedora core using a GUI because i have no idea what a partition is".

come on... are we talking bull here??? and just this morning i read your post about an ndis-wrapper. ok, alot of times some people get stuck

trying to get this to work, but you made it sound like you didn't know what a kernel is and why the ndis-wrapper didn't work???

and now in the same day, i am reading a post about writing your own operating system??? are you kidding me?

your last post in the other topic says you prefer to work in command line anyways?!?!?! why don't you learn from the start

with the GUI, then start and learn the commands, then start learning about the kernel and preferably learn a programming language

and then finally dream of making your own OS. do you think that people will laugh at you if you are not "leet" ?

maybe telling people that i work only in command lines and starting my own OS will make people listen to me???

asking is good, but please do not try and upset the people in the forum by, asking how to install FC6 with anaconda in week 1 and then

i think people will just think that you're ars-ing around and not really wanting to learn.

maybe it is just me who has read your posts in the last month and feel alittle bit confused

hey, leave him alone, he could be the fastest learner in the world.

you may want to give this a try, http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ since you did post this in the *nix forum.

Edited by arewhyainn

hey, leave him alone, he could be the fastest learner in the world.

--Doubtful....

D.i.a.b.l.o.69er

Arewhyainn, no idea if you are joking, but I laughed.

There is always LFS.

-_- play nice kids

I agree with everyone that said learn assembly and c first, but that doesn't mean you can't play around and try to make your own OS, just don't let failure disscurage you. Also don't let these noobs disscurage you either, you just gotta keep on keep'n on and never stop learning ^_^

keep working at it and you'll get there one day <3

People usually climb stairs using the first step first, not the last.

*chuckle

You should write the entire operating system using ruby on rails

i love your repliea all of you there great and i do have alot of assembler tutorials

the reason i want to do this is more or less set a over the top very large goal then in 4 years see how far i have gotten i will eventually do it

no coping for me completely from scratch all of it my own work besides the assembler just mine

and i might be trying to run before i walk but i already know to pick my self back up when i fall

i have the determination to do this project

so any other advice people might have would be great please keep it coming

Well again thats very impressive and regal to set such a high goal but its kindof like, "I'm going to cure cancer in the next four years, maybe, just to see if I can".

Chances are you wont get very far, and even if you do it really wont benifit anything because you are so far behind in reserach to begin with. You'd be much better off talking the exisiting cancer reserach and then working with people who are researching the same field you are.

Not to kill the idea at all but adside from the learning aspect its completly pointless just to build, what will probably be, a useless operating system just for the hell of it. With all of the billions of linux/bsd versions something is probably already done.

I wouldn't say too much, but I've always noticed a general tendency for people without lots of experience to set far too high goals, thinking their determination will make them succeed. I used to be like this, and I've grown up. I've seen the same pattern repeatedly on people with few experience. The most flagrant example of this is all those noobs wanting that begin C++ programming and are like "I have THE idea for a game!" and then says he'll make a game, a goal he won't succeed, of course. Dunno why, but half of the time this game is supposed to be an mmorpg.

The best advice I can give you is start small, finish an assembly language book first and write some programs using it. Then, and not before, consider going to the next step.

Am I the only one observing this kind of tendency?

I'd say I still behave like this, but it's far better than it was. I always want to do too much and I lack the time to do it all. I want to make bigger projects than I really can. Sometimes I really do it, sometimes not, but something is definitly sure: if you always set yourself huge goals, you'll end up unhappy because of successive failure to achieve these goals. Try goals you know you can achieve first.

Edited by Aghaster

i posted that cause i wanted to partition the hard drive to fit windows and linux not to install just linux big difference

i don't care what people think of me but your taking just a couple of curios help posts and thinking you know what i am capable of and i don't mean this to be rude in anyway i know im not 1337 very far from it but i am setting a goal

i get bored with things after awhile so i focus on many things at once i have ADD so i learn a couple of things liek in language i learned spanish and portugese at the same time cause it was difficult to keep my attention i use to really good at C but just lost focus on it and i do know C was made to create OSes

i don't know i m just shooting for the stars and keeping me going it's dream i have not a oh im starting it right now just i would liek to start on learning what i need to do it the way i want to

*chuckle

You should write the entire operating system using ruby on rails

LOL

i laughed so hard when i read this cause i was thinking of doing somethings in ruby but yeah that was a funny shot to my intelligence

i do know C was made to create OSes

Enlighten Us... What else do you know?

I'd say I still behave like this, but it's far better than it was. I always want to do too much and I lack the time to do it all. I want to make bigger projects than I really can. Sometimes I really do it, sometimes not, but something is definitly sure: if you always set yourself huge goals, you'll end up unhappy because of successive failure to achieve these goals. Try goals you know you can achieve first.

thomas edison failed 2000 times in creating the light bulb but when he finally finished it he said i did not fail 2000 times i learned 2000 ways to not make a light bulb we learn from our mistakes and i am just useing the OS as way to make myself focus and learn more difficlut subjects and become good at this im not sure if i will ever do it but it is a goal i am setting myself to see how far i get and how much i learn

Does anyone have a good assembler in mind as well as a tutorial

Enlighten Us... What else do you know?

About what? C or just everything in general

i know alot more then i put on but in just some areas im hazy about them so i ask stupid questions about functions and ndiswrapper installation it's not that i don't reasearch it for my self its more when i ask these questions it's because i can't understand what i found to a degree i am comfortable with

thomas edison failed 2000 times in creating the light bulb but when he finally finished it he said i did not fail 2000 times i learned 2000 ways to not make a light bulb

Edison failed so many times because he had absolutely no idea what he was doing. Hardly anyone did at that time. He was literally using the guess and check method to find a filament that would both glow brightly and not burn up. Had he known the fundamentals, some basic physics and made a list of materials that might work (instead of literally trying random things), he would have succeeded much more quickly. Edison is not exactly a good example here, unless the guess and check method sounds like a good methodology for OS development. That and the whole capitalist tyrant thing.

Does anyone have a good assembler in mind as well as a tutorial

Didn't learn much from your C++ thread, did you? Tutorials are, 99% of the time, bullshit. Those who can't write books, write tutorials. You want a book, not a tutorial. As for the assembler, it's not a terribly complicated piece of software. All of them have similar features, and all of them produce about the same output.