gloomer

Payphone by my house

22 posts in this topic

Yup, 3 blocks away sure enough is a payphone. Maybe two I don't remember :P

I'm pretty lucky to have a payphone so close especially in a residential area so I thought I should take advantage of it.

What are some phreaking tips and tricks and hacks that I could try on this payphone near my house?

What could I hope to accomplish?

Anything interesting that could come out of this?

Thanks

Yeah there is a pay phone right across the street from my house. If I remember it was a fairly old one. I never tried red boxing it though, but hey maybe it would work.

Yeah, it would be more likely to work if it was old. I heard (dont know if it was true) that you could red-box any payphone in canada. :blink: (dont qoute me on that) So im assuming if it was one like they used in canada it would work.

If you have a palm pilot, here is an interesting red-box program for it. I have not got around to using it.. But it seems pretty cool. http://www.hackcanada.com/homegrown/palmpilot/index.html

Yeah, it would be more likely to work if it was old. I heard (dont know if it was true) that you could red-box any payphone in canada. :blink: (dont qoute me on that) So im assuming if it was one like they used in canada it would work.

If you have a palm pilot, here is an interesting red-box program for it. I have not got around to using it.. But it seems pretty cool. http://www.hackcanada.com/homegrown/palmpilot/index.html

I know that Canada has COCOTs, so you can't red-box from every payphone in Canada.

As for interesting things to do, what company's name is on the phone?

Edited by JmanA9

What are some phreaking tips and tricks and hacks that I could try on this payphone near my house?

If you'd like, I can give you some pointers and audio samples that can help you identify the switch type by ear. You can find some cool test numbers while you're there, too. Depending on what territory you're in, there's different numbers and locations for them, but if you're in former-Bell System territory (AT&T, former-Bell Atlantic/most of Verizon on the East coast, Qwest, or Cincinnati Bell), they should probably be pretty easy to find. Try combinations such as 11X (X=0-9), 958, 958-1114, 959-1122. 958 or 959 plus the last four digits you're calling might give you the ringback circuit if you live in former Bell territory, too.

I lived out in North Vancouver , BC for 9 months before I moved us back to Texas... Around 2nd and 3rd street there is still a payfone by Telus that is attached to an gas station that is missing the front head of the phone reciever.. IT has been this way for 9months.. If I ever go back there I will take a pic because the wires hanging outside the unit seem very odd for that long.. So anyone around that area check it out and snag a photo for me... And the Redpalm does work on certain payphones that were located around the Seabus area.. And the old school red box.. I dont think these were Telus ones, not sure.. but they have very odd tones normally.. The might be BellCa .. Anyways just wanted to verify the Redpalm on m105 worked very well...

I lived out in North Vancouver , BC for 9 months before I moved us back to Texas... Around 2nd and 3rd street there is still a payfone by Telus that is attached to an gas station that is missing the front head of the phone reciever.. IT has been this way for 9months.. If I ever go back there I will take a pic because the wires hanging outside the unit seem very odd for that long.. So anyone around that area check it out and snag a photo for me... And the Redpalm does work on certain payphones that were located around the Seabus area.. And the old school red box.. I dont think these were Telus ones, not sure.. but they have very odd tones normally.. The might be BellCa .. Anyways just wanted to verify the Redpalm on m105 worked very well...

Ahh, my source of info was not very credible >.<

But still, seems like a pretty nice program when it would work.

Edited by tacomaster

A few cool things to do with a payphone:

Take the handset off the receiver.

Place the handset back on the receiver.

Put coins in.

Make phone call.

Dial Directory Assistance.

Request a listing.

Thank the operator.

Hang up.

Look at the clock on the phone to see what time it is (if available).

+++

Seriously, though. Just pick it up and play around with it. Try dialing things that don't make sense. Listen to the recordings, find patterns. Make long distance calls to places that don't exist. Dial random international prefixes. Try dialing things with star's and pound's in 'em. That sorta thing. Just play around, be creative, think outside the box. You don't need to know any "phreaking tips and tricks and hacks," you need to learn to think outside the box. If you learn that, you'll find your own "tricks."

Oh yeah, and take a water bottle and notepad. I always get thirsty when I stand around at a phone for a long time.

Edited by unity

Woz Condor and Crunch

a boy in a mans body a man with a boys ssn and a man with boy love. Ohhhhhh the things they can teach you!!!!!!!!!!!11

Edited by sw1tchbl4de

The documentary recommendation was not an insult.

<off topic>I already don't like you sw1tchbl4de</off topic>

Jam some paper or something up in the coin return slot. In like a week go back with tweezers and un-clog it. You might get some free change.

But thats not a very nice thing to do.

<off topic>I already don't like you sw1tchbl4de</off topic>

Be nice now, hes just new.

Anyway how much are you going to steal from a payphone, I mean really, like a couple dollars max? Thats not worth the bad karma you get from it.

i havent had a home phone for 5 years.

Isn't that because they cut off phone service to that part of the dump? :P

yes unfortunatly we now have to use a Dixie cup and a string to communicate.

"When Bruce Schneier was a kid he would talk to his friends across the yard using tin cans connected by a string. The messages on that string were 4096-bit RSA."

Thats how I do it.

Thats how I do it.

Psh what loosers, I use a coffee can.

Ohm would have bitch slapped you... despite the technical problems with that, Phreaking is not about stealing phone calls.

Yes, thank you! It's about time somebody said that. As for the documentary, I think it's bleeding to death with inaccuracies, but it's still kind of nice to watch, especially with the uber visuals. As for you, Drake, you get a gold star :P .

I had a payphone by my house in England, I believe it was BT.

I'm probably the only one that uses the pay phone near my house.

it's like my own personal pay phone. :D