King Tiger

I need privacy!

89 posts in this topic

something went horribly wrong here...

Edited by King Tiger

lol. I was going to delete the double-posts, buuut... comedic value: rose 10 points.

By the way, this bit:

§ Computers may not be used for viewing movies, music videos, movie trailers, or entertainment television shows (video news stories from sites such as CNN.com and C-SPAN are allowed if the content does not violate *edited*. Violations will result in demerit penalties and loss of computer use.

Is pretty crazy. At first, I thought that this was because this was a ToS for their own computer equipment. Still not sure.

"Is this what freedom is for? Is this why we fight and die? So Communists can opress people under them? What is up with this? Have these people never been to a country that isn't democratic? Why would you deny rights you enjoy to other people? Notice how IT's system is "secure and private" but my system isn't allowed to be? WTF? I'm gonna go commit a hate crime now... How can these people be this way? I understand they have to protect themself, but why throw me under a bus to do it? Who do I send hate mail to..."

First off, democracy is NOT the only form of freedom (see: Hong Kong)

In MANY ways Honk Kong is more free than the united states, yet they are not democratic. (Less Gov't control)

Secondly, I know this has been said but, there is a reason why it has been said and why I'll repeat it:

The school network is a PRIVILEGE; it is not a right. It is legally their property, so that means that they can make the rules

(no matter how ridiculous they are)

Is anyone forcing you to go to this school? (discluding parentals), NO, so how is "communist like"?

If you don't like it, go somewhere else (but they are likely to have similar policies).

I worked for a university a while back and if I learned one thing, it was that all a univeristy is,

is a glorified business of selling people an attempt at and education and a diploma.

No, I'm forced to use thier network (If you didn't notice that in the TOS).

Edited by King Tiger

Everything in there is pretty standard fare, they could go further if they wanted to, including the trailers/media; with the exception of:

§ *College* reserves the right to inspect a student’s computer, computer files (on any media), and electronic devices at any time. *College* also reserves the right to confiscate media or electronics as a result of misuse.
From how it is worded, unless you sign something in writing that isn't enforceable and cannot be upheld. Files you transfer *to* school shares, over their network or insert into their machines they can access all they want. (ie- automatically scan with antivirus software and for logging/liability purposes).

Anything on your person should be off-limits without probable cause or a warrant.

'alright we just want to scan your mp3 player for contraband' - 'no.'

Edited by jabzor

that shit is lame. I'd totally be hackin that shit.

Bill of Rights is mostly useless in a University (especially one that has an AUP so well spelled out). Schools are not democracies, get over it. I know what the amendments are but I've also worked in a school and they really don't care about your rights. You chose to go there, they can chose what to provide.

that shit is lame. I'd totally be hackin that shit.

Try to carry yourself with a slightly higher level of dignity ok bro? When your new it never hurts to be modest.

Bill of Rights is mostly useless in a University (especially one that has an AUP so well spelled out). Schools are not democracies, get over it. I know what the amendments are but I've also worked in a school and they really don't care about your rights. You chose to go there, they can chose what to provide.

Tehbizz is right, most of the time places like stores and universitys can, more or less, suspend whatever rights you have.

Im in ur buttcheeks steelin ur dignity!

:ninja:

Really I meant what I said. that is bullshit and you should just knock that network around like ali.

Edited by sw1tchbl4de

Really I meant what I said. that is bullshit and you should just knock that network around like ali.

They have such high security because of people with that mentality. You shouldn't attack equipment because you don't agree with the policy, you should try and find a work around like we've done here.

By the way King Tiger, what solution did you decide to go with? It seems like running a live cd and connecting to a web based email would solve that problem with the least amount of difficulty.

OK, I'm getting the picture. Have the other party use a secure method. They can still see that "I'm trying to hide something".

What I'm trying to establish privacy for is so I can send this girl some pictures of both of us (get your mind out of the gutter) appearing to be in a situation that is not acceptable at my college. ($5 if you want to see them) I could post them up on my website in a password controlled area and give her the password... Gmail works too... I think.

This is what I used to do when I cared about privacy, and I did not trust the network I was using. and didn't know anything thing about ssh or any other encryption for that matter. burn it to a optical media (CD or DVD) and give it to her by snail mail or in person.

Just because they do dosn't mean they should.

Edited by King Tiger

Just because they do dosn't mean they should.

That's effed up.

You should listen to off the hook.

(Thats not a complement or insult)

Edited by Drake Anubis

Who, where?

http://www.2600.com/offthehook/

I enjoy it, all though its important to recognize Emmanuel's political slant, he means well though.

Edited by Drake Anubis

Hey, guess what? That link is blocked!

I think https:// gmail will do the job. If I feel something other than lazy, I might put up a password protected web page with the content on them. Last I checked it wasn't hard to do.

Edited by King Tiger

It's simple really, on their property they are legally (and ethically) justified in monitoring usage.

While I agree with the legal part, I say that the ethics are different for different people, so saying that someone is "ethically justified" is nonsense.

Here is what I don't get. I just want an answer to one simple fucking question.

Why aren't people spouting off about freedom, understand that the government making *any* provisions on what I can do with *my* private property is counter-productive to actual, real freedom? Don't we agree there is enough of that already?

You should be fighting for people to have more freedom with their own property. Not less. You are backing the wrong horse.

Let me flip this on you. Can I use MY property (this computer in front of me) any way I want? According to my college's ToS, no I cannot. [Mo Freedom = Better] Don't you ever forget that.

Let me flip this on you. Can I use MY property (this computer in front of me) any way I want? According to my college's ToS, no I cannot. [Mo Freedom = Better] Don't you ever forget that.

That doesnt work, thats like saying "can I use MY car to run over people". If using your computer affects other people, thats when they limit it. And you, or somebody else, might be unaware that there machine is part of a bot net, for example.

Or the example, "can I use MY freedom of speech to yell fire in a crowded place". If you are in their place you have to use their rules. And you are using their network.

Btw, everyone blocks 2600.com, its in every filtering software.

I bet you are completely free to do whatever you want with that PC. Since my story works better this way :), lets say for sake of arguement you're on a laptop. You are 100% free to go to a store probably within 20 miles of you and buy a Sprint aircard and be doing whatever you want on the internet you please in under an hour.