JW2501

Triple Boot off of a USB flash drive?

15 posts in this topic

I was wondering, as a side project/experiment, would it be possible to triple (or dual for lack of space) boot Live CD distros of Linux on a USB flash drive? I was thinking about a security bundle of Backtrack 2, Ophcrack, and Bart's PE Builder (for windows). I think they would just fit on 2 gigs, but I'm not sure. Could this be done? I don't know much about portioning or booting of anything but a CD. Thanks for your advice!

Yes, I think so, I'm not sure how to go about it but I can give you a basic idea. I think if you partitioned the USB drive correctly into four sections, one section for each distro, and then one section for the boot loader. You would need the computer to boot the boot loader then the boot loader would prompt with partition to boot from. Something like that.

I don't know how well the distros well like that though. A lot of the live versions default to assume they are the first partition, or only partition, on the drive.

USB drives are cheap now, you might find it easier just to buy a three pack somwhere, but then you would have a lot to carry around. You might consider a USB drive that doubles as something else, like for example I have a USB watch I bought on ebay for cheap that I carry backtrack on, and I have a pen that has a version of slax on it, maybe something like that.

Hope that helps.

Couldnt you just add all the features you want to one distro?

Maybe, but some distros like backtrack are finely tuned to such a fantastic degree to begin with.

I have had a dozen on mine at a time.

How did you select the one you wanted to load?

Now, that I think a little more is I don't use syslinux, I use extlinux which is a very closes cousin, their even in the same package. it doesn't really matter. but anyways I use the vesamenu.c32 to select them. I have boot over 13 (kernels and ramdisk) with both syslinux and extlinux.

Edited by arewhyainn

I've only done two at a time, but syslinux should handle more

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=securit...tpe-windows-usb

Uhh... the MySlax site seems to be down. (Hacked?) Does anybody know a: where I can get a copy and b: does it work with Backtrack 2 and vista? Thanks so much!

Edited by Squoozevelt

I got a PM from Squoozevelt

Hey! Thanks for your help on my USB triple boot topic. I understand how to do two (from irongeek) but how would I add Ophcrack or another linux distro on top of backrack2 and Barts? Thanks again!

Theodore Squoozevelt

It's really easy once you know how to do it, you'll hit yourself. take a look at this for an example. http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2003-August/002340.html. there is no differences in the configuration in isolinux, syslinux, and extlinux.

label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216

the first line label is what you would type at the prompt.

the second line is the kernel.

and the third is the initrd and the boot options.

then from there just start a new line and start over. the easies way is to copy and paste.

I sent this PM to arewhyainn about my current issues. Any thoughts?

My biggest problem is lack of time really but there are a few things I am still puzzled about.

1) MySlax doesn't support BT2 so I can't follow Irongeek's tutorial exactly. I think I got the correct files on the drive though. *note: see my other topic about this issue http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?sho...mp;#entry249678 *

2) I can't get the XPE plugin for my Bart's build to work! I have no idea what the problem is!

3) I can't get the Bart's build onto the flash drive, although I think I need some 2003 files. If so, I don't know where to get them.

4) I have no clue what files to put on the drive from Ophcrack to make that run.

If you have any advice or thoughts, let me know! I truly appreciate your help and thanks for putting up with my ignorance (sorry, I'm new to all this). Thanks Again!

My biggest problem is lack of time really but there are a few things I am still puzzled about.

I'm not going to give my time, when you won't give your time to learn.

I'm not going to give my time, when you won't give your time to learn.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I am fully committed to learning about this project as well as many other areas of computers. I have been occupied with things that are out of my control, but I value everyone's help enormously and I am trying hard to learn. Thanks again for your time so far.

I sent this PM to arewhyainn about my current issues. Any thoughts?

1) MySlax doesn't support BT2 so I can't follow Irongeek's tutorial exactly. I think I got the correct files on the drive though. *note: see my other topic about this issue http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?sho...mp;#entry249678 *

2) I can't get the XPE plugin for my Bart's build to work! I have no idea what the problem is!

3) I can't get the Bart's build onto the flash drive, although I think I need some 2003 files. If so, I don't know where to get them.

4) I have no clue what files to put on the drive from Ophcrack to make that run.

If you have any advice or thoughts, let me know! I truly appreciate your help and thanks for putting up with my ignorance (sorry, I'm new to all this). Thanks Again!

Just an update here...

BT2 is successfully booting off the USB

XPE still isn't working!?!?

Barts is on the drive (I think) but Syslinux dons't seem to be working when I boot from the USB. There is no menu. I just get a prompt that says "Boot" and if I press ENTER, BT2 boots.

Sorry if this is stupid, I'm doing my best. Thanks!

Now, that I think a little more is I don't use syslinux, I use extlinux which is a very closes cousin, their even in the same package. it doesn't really matter. but anyways I use the vesamenu.c32 to select them. I have boot over 13 (kernels and ramdisk) with both syslinux and extlinux.

multiple kernels does not equal 12 bootings, thats just different kernels. usually a dual/triple/.. boot means more than one operating system. IE different versions of linux, or windows or such. not the same OS and multiple kernels.