DrakeAnubis

Hacking Autosetting Clocks

22 posts in this topic

I have a clock next to me that I got from wal-mart that sets it self based of radio signal sent from the atomic clock (in Colorado?). I'm not sure how this works but from what I understand the national institute of standards and technology has a 50,000 watt am transmitter putting out a signal in Binary Coded Decimal.

*Puts on black hat

What if you transmitted your own time code signal? You would be able to jam, and maybe even replace the existing system. Some of these radio controlled clocks poll the time frequently to stay in sync. I've also seen a lot of watches that do this.

If your transmitter left the walls of your home, you'd probably get arrested.

*Takes of black hat

Well its a bad idea from that standpoint but you can't say having a button you push that causes all radio clocks with X distance to (eventually) change to what time you you want isn't cool.

The time is now 13:37

So it'd basically be like a cell phone jammer. It would be pretty cool, but what would the point be? You could have some fun, but it wouldn't really have a reason.

It's not related to a cell phone jammer in any way except that it might jam radio signals, and I doesn't have a deeply practical use but not everything in hacking does.

You could find a use if you tried hard enough maybe. Like what if you wanted to do a social engineering attack. Say somebody is going to go to a meeting at 8, and you, in the reacon you did earlier, noticed that the clock in this persons room is radio controlled. You look up the specs and find out that it polls for the new time every hour, you could then broadcast your own signal, set the clock back an hour, so come 8 you should up to the meeting, pretend to be that person, get the information you want, and then leave. Nobody would notice until the target figures out that the clock was wrong.

And what if they didn't figure it out, if they leave the house thinking it was 8, while they are gone the clock resets back to the right time because you stopped broadcasting, then they show up at the location, find out they are late, you know, look at the time on the cell phone and in the car and stuff, then get back home, look at that clock, and its telling the right time.

In fact the more I think about it, the more useful something like this could be when applied to a very specific situation.

Radio synchronized atomic clocks are used for NTP servers. A device that is capable of spoofing or jamming these signals could cause all sorts of havoc for time-sensitive operations.

Radio synchronized atomic clocks are used for NTP servers. A device that is capable of spoofing or jamming these signals could cause all sorts of havoc for time-sensitive operations.

See now its a security hole. Or what if we went to war with another super power they could jam all kinds of devices in the nation that use this system of timing.

Edited by Drake Anubis

See now its a security hole. Or what if we went to war with another super power they could jam all kinds of devices in the nation that use this system of timing.

Terrorists could use it to make us all five minutes late. We must invade Iran at once.

But seriously, superpower, blowingusthefuckup > screwing with a few time systems before they're recievers are disabled.

But seriously, superpower, blowingusthefuckup > screwing with a few time systems before they're recievers are disabled.

Ok, then what if its just a group of terrorists. And there are a lot of systems that sync with the atomic clock, feeding them false information during a key time, like a disaster, could cause problems, rescue and response teams could be miscoordinated.

You're lucky this member isn't still active.

But again why would they waste resources on delaying emergency response teams when they could just be

blowingusthefuckup
even more.

and surely common sense would prevail when all the emergency workers watches/tv's/vast majority of time displaying objects say one time and a singular clock says differently.

*rolls eyes

Have you ever seen the movie war games?

I have a clock next to me that I got from wal-mart that sets it self based of radio signal sent from the atomic clock (in Colorado?). I'm not sure how this works but from what I understand the national institute of standards and technology has a 50,000 watt am transmitter putting out a signal in Binary Coded Decimal.

There are several of these transmitters operating at 10Mhz. WWV is in Colorado and WWVH is in Hawaii. Break out the shortwave and listen...

There are several of these transmitters operating at 10Mhz. WWV is in Colorado and WWVH is in Hawaii. Break out the shortwave and listen...

Aren't those the audio able voice transmissions? Because the sync information I'm talking about is sent digitally for clocks to understand.

I found a NIST document that describes the protocol and the way that clocks should work with the information: http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1976.pdf

Aren't those the audio able voice transmissions? Because the sync information I'm talking about is sent digitally for clocks to understand.

I found a NIST document that describes the protocol and the way that clocks should work with the information: http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1976.pdf

Yes, when you tune to 10MHz you will hear a tick-tick-tick sound, with a male announcer voicing the time (WWV). If you hear a female announcer, that's WWVH. Sometimes you can hear both with no interference. They are PERFECTLY sync-ed, so there is no heterodyne noise. The tick-tick-tick noise is the digital info you are talking about.

Yes, when you tune to 10MHz you will hear a tick-tick-tick sound, with a male announcer voicing the time (WWV). If you hear a female announcer, that's WWVH. Sometimes you can hear both with no interference. They are PERFECTLY sync-ed, so there is no heterodyne noise. The tick-tick-tick noise is the digital info you are talking about.

Really now? I wasn't aware that they transmitted the voice and data on the same frequency, interesting, I'll have to find a working shortwave and check that out, thanks.

It would be pretty cool, but what would the point be?

I have another possible use: To beat speeding tickets.

Apparently in the UK (according to this article on the BBC News website) speed cameras use the radio time signal.

I am not sure how frequently the cameras check their time, but if it is real time you could drive around broadcasting some date / time years in the future, and likely be able to get the ticket invalidated for having an obviously incorrect date / time.

Oh, see now, somebody in the UK needs to investigate this and report back....

*Looks around

... well, if somebody gets around to it, that would be nice.

It would be pretty cool, but what would the point be?

I have another possible use: To beat speeding tickets.

Apparently in the UK (according to this article on the BBC News website) speed cameras use the radio time signal.

I am not sure how frequently the cameras check their time, but if it is real time you could drive around broadcasting some date / time years in the future, and likely be able to get the ticket invalidated for having an obviously incorrect date / time.

Yeah... how could you have been speeding when your car was parked at work?? interesting.

I'm pretty sure that any critical systems would be using GPS receivers instead of shortwave band broadcasts to sync their time. The microwave satellite system is much more reliable and accurate than shortwave, in addition to being more secure, and it's very inexpensive to implement. Hell, my dad uses GPS to sync his clocks and calibrate equipment in his workshop.

BTW, the US government's Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is measured by a network of atomic clocks operated at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the U.S. Naval Observatory.

The 2 radio stations in the US that transmit UTC are:

WWV in Fort Collins, Colorado, which operates at 2.500 MHz, 5.000 MHz and 20.000 MHz.

WWVH in Kauai, Hawaii, which operates at 2.500 MHz and 5.000 MHz

You can also telephone radio stations WWV and WWVH to hear their UTC broadcasts.

WWV: (303) 499-7111

WWVH: (808) 335-4363

Here's a snippet of what WWV's UTC broadcast sounds like: [ LISTEN ] :rock:

Here's a snippet of the WWVH UTC broadcast: [ LISTEN ] :rock:

There's also a USA Coordinated Universal Time website where you can get the UTC, the sunrise and sunset times, and announcements of UTC adjustments like daylight savings changes, the addition or subtraction of leap-seconds, etc.: http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?UTC/s/0/java

For more info on the mechanism and protocol of Coordinated Universal Time (or "Zulu time") check out the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Edited by MyNameIsURL

I would kill for a powerful GPS encoder and transmitter...

Remeber that James Bond Movie (Tommarow Never Dies?) where they stole the GPS encoder and used it to drive war ships towards countries, making the ships think they were in international waters.