Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Enkil

Revolution OS

13 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, any of you seen Revolution OS? Just finished watchign it, wondered if anyone had any thoughts about it... it is in a way *nix... also is rather informative in an audiovisual way :P on what the open source idea is all about (sorta at least)

I can probably upload it somewhere if anyone wants me to...

i also got pirates of silicon valley, but that ones more blah... the episode in which the woz gets busted with a box does not even have the synthesizer quote...

Edited by Enkil

I watched it on google video a while back and thought it was a fairly well put together documentary.

yer RevOS is a good movie, the one with Woz and the synth/black box is a documentary by the discovery channel, i saw it recently. I haven't seen Pirates of Silicon Valley yet, i want too, but i cant find it any ware.

The Code Linux is quite good if i remember correctly:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...977&q=linux

Edited by byte

I have it on dvd it's not bad it's good for beginners that don't know hwat Linux is and other things but very informative

Yeah, ok documentary (someone tell that guy he has a PUBE ON HIS SHIRT), but I found it a bit too propagandaish, the Unix model isn't terrible, but we could have much better OSes, until then Linux is better than anything else. *shrug*

My favorite part was that guy that wrote the bison C++ bindings, and he goes for a job and they ask "do you know bison++?" and he says "Yeah, I wrote it"

Just watched it a while ago. Pretty interesting, and definately set up to be noob friendly. I don't quite get why they made a big deal out of the part where Linus' kids came out during RMS' acceptance speech at that conference, though - were they trying to overly emphasize it as being symbolic or something?

And yes, the hair on that guy's shirt kept bothering me <_<

Just watched it a while ago. Pretty interesting, and definately set up to be noob friendly. I don't quite get why they made a big deal out of the part where Linus' kids came out during RMS' acceptance speech at that conference, though - were they trying to overly emphasize it as being symbolic or something?

And yes, the hair on that guy's shirt kept bothering me <_<

or they were trying to get attention deviated from what teh acceptance speech was :P

his kids appear twice on the movie, i still dont really get why...

anyways, i agree its good to understanding some concepts, im planning on sharing it with some friends who want to know "where it all began"

I actually just saw this the other day. It was kinda propaganda-ish but it did show me some cool stuff about linux's origins that I didn't know before cause I was a little kid when it was happening.

The Code Linux is quite good if i remember correctly:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...977&q=linux

I love that recipe analogy at the beginning of that one. Never really heard it put that well.

Not sure if this is mentioned in other parts of the forum, but the best damn "hacker" fiction I have seen is http://welcometothescene.com. They did a great amount of research and the first and second season are awsome.. The use a good balance of making a movie about hacking seem authentic, nitpickers will point out some flaw, but it beats the hell out of anything I have seen production wise..

i watched the scene, and it's pretty good. but, i haven't watched it for months now, it's worth watching the stream if you haven't seen it yet :)

the director of revolution os was on tllts the other day -

http://www.tllts.org/dl.php?episode=180

in case you don't listen to tllts, he's not happy google won't take his film off google video and continue to pirate it.

Edited by iceni

i watched the scene, and it's pretty good. but, i haven't watched it for months now, it's worth watching the stream if you haven't seen it yet :)

in case you don't listen to tllts, he's not happy google won't take his film off google video and continue to pirate it.

Isn't that opposite of what his film advocated? Guess he should have sold it to New Line Cinemas and had Jack Black do a PSA on it - Remember kids, "Don't be a douche."

Isn't that opposite of what his film advocated? Guess he should have sold it to New Line Cinemas and had Jack Black do a PSA on it - Remember kids, "Don't be a douche."

Not at all.

The documentary covered F/OSS. But that doesn't mean that the author believed in it. That's like saying a documentary on cocaine advocates the use of the drug. Furthermore, it's unreasonable to expect any film director to release their product for free, esp. when there's a debt of tens of thousands of dollars around their neck.

Plus, Linux has never been about not being allowed to make money. Look at those that develop closed-source applications for Linux. Who says that they're not allowed to make money? Or look at Novell and Red Hat - they make money too.