Samodelkin

Windows Vista Basic - worth keeping?

11 posts in this topic

I got a new notebook. It came with Vista Home Basic. (That means, lowest possible amount of features.) So far, I have observed some new pretty graphics and a huge load of pre-loaded load-ware. The desktop has more icons labeled "Sign up for *** now" than things I would want to actually click. The bad part - even though the new notebook has better hardware than my desktop built some years ago, it seems to run slower. I am not planning to, nor do I want to, upgrade to a higher version of Vista. So I thought, perhaps I should abandon Vista and install some sort of Linux-like operating system on it? I read the warranty information and it says it does not apply to the software.

Any ideas or suggestions about what to do with it? Any comments about Vista / Linux?

I heard that Vista is more privacy-invasive than ever, but I cannot confirm the reliability of those sources.

Edited by Samodelkin

I realized that Vista sucks after about 5 mins of use. Format, and dual-boot XP and some flavor of Linux. You might wanna save the drivers that the manufacturer pre-loaded on the laptop to save you some trouble, but they may not work in XP.

You should try linux, a nice distribution to start with is ubuntu. It comes in ugly brown by default but can be easily changed. I recommend the website gnome-look for new icons, wallpapers, and so on.

I got a new notebook. It came with Vista Home Basic. (That means, lowest possible amount of features.) So far, I have observed some new pretty graphics and a huge load of pre-loaded load-ware. The desktop has more icons labeled "Sign up for *** now" than things I would want to actually click. The bad part - even though the new notebook has better hardware than my desktop built some years ago, it seems to run slower. I am not planning to, nor do I want to, upgrade to a higher version of Vista. So I thought, perhaps I should abandon Vista and install some sort of Linux-like operating system on it? I read the warranty information and it says it does not apply to the software.

Any ideas or suggestions about what to do with it? Any comments about Vista / Linux?

I heard that Vista is more privacy-invasive than ever, but I cannot confirm the reliability of those sources.

There is always VMware or you can dual-boot.

I realized that Vista sucks after about 5 mins of use. Format, and dual-boot XP and some flavor of Linux. You might wanna save the drivers that the manufacturer pre-loaded on the laptop to save you some trouble, but they may not work in XP.

I agree! But they will come out with updates/patches like they always do and it will become better

but right now it is too unstable. I am gonna wait a year or two to make my final decision whether Vista overall sucks...

Yes, VM is a great way to try out operating systems if you have the computing power to do that, normally it doesn't' even require a lot of power.

Yes, VM is a great way to try out operating systems if you have the computing power to do that, normally it doesn't' even require a lot of power.

But VM is not even as close as fast as if you dual-boot. So.. B)

Good point, you should dual-boot. Ubuntu and Gentoo

Good point, you should dual-boot. Ubuntu and Gentoo

May I also recommend openSUSE 10.2? You should try that after Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the most user-friendly.

May I also recommend openSUSE 10.2? You should try that after Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the most user-friendly.

Yeah openSUSE and Ubuntu, I was making a joke when I said gentoo. Its not good at all for being linux.

I would wait for Vista SP2.

yes yes everybody says windows sucks, but what really sucks about it? just because everybody else says it sucks. why not at least learn it and play around with it? you never know you might actually like some of the new fetures. windows is not all that bad of an operating system, sure theres some things that you can do with certain distros of linux that you cant do with windows, everyone loves to bash windows all the time because it seems like the cool thing to do. of course i would recommend using linux, but i would also recommend using windows too. theres just some things that i cant do in linux as well as i can in windows. dual booting would be a good solution, but i wouldnt come on here and say how much vista sucks without some hardcore test driving. dont just jump on the "fuck windows" bandwagon just because everyone else says it. the fact of the matter is, is that there is no single OS that will please everyone all the time.

I have been using Windows since 95, and I did not have much problems with it. And I did do some testing on the Vista, found a sidebar feature and a new voice for the voice synthesizer. As for hardcore testing, you have a good point; I will try running a high-graphics game on it. My desktop (Windows XP, built some years ago) has approximately the same (just slightly lower) hardware power, so I could test the two systems against each other.

Also, when I first turned on the notebook, I read the license agreement all the way. :jawa: I definitely did not comprehend it all the way, but I read it all the way. (if staring at text and sort of hearing it in your head counts as reading) I found some parts... unsettling. I think it says Microsoft can intentionally delete or confiscate all the files it doesn't like or likes too much, respectively. (And since this is a hacking forum, I wonder, can only Microsoft can do that to Vista users?)

Thanks for the help everyone, this makes much confusing stuff more clear. (not that I am implying that I don't want any more input on this :) )

Edited by Samodelkin