gloomer

Torrent clients for linux

32 posts in this topic

I'm new to the linux desktop seen but i'm familiar with command line <3

Is there anything like Utorrent for linux? I'm curious. Or are all the good ones just for windows.

Please let it not be so.

Inform me.

I use KTorrent, it's pretty decent. It's a bit like utorrent, only not quite as good. Utorrent is probably one of the best torrent clients out there, it's hard to match it. Apart from ktorrent, I've used the bittorrent client and bittornado, both of which are decent for "light" use.

I've used Azureus under Linux; it's alright. I've started using uTorrent in a virtual machine, though. I haven't tried it with wine yet.

I tried Azureus, but it consumed all of my RAM. I'm not joking either. I just don't understand how it uses so much RAM.

As for running utorrent in a virtual machine, or even on Wine. I think that's pretty silly. Linux has no shortage of native clients. So they're not exactly like utorrent, but they get the job done, no?

I run uTorrent with wine. It works great for me. I tried azureus but I didn't like it.

I tried Azureus, but it consumed all of my RAM. I'm not joking either. I just don't understand how it uses so much RAM.

As for running utorrent in a virtual machine, or even on Wine. I think that's pretty silly.

I like Azureus but it is very heavy and if you can't spare the ram you should maybe shy away from it. I use uTorrent running in a vm however using SeamlessRDP it appears as though the client is running natively in linux. Also the vm is locally networked to the linux machine so that the file that is being downloaded is stored outside of the vm. However again, in my case I have the processing power to spare to do this, if you are running on a small machine you might be happy with something like rTorrent (which is very nice from what I understand, but have never used it).

However just try a couple and see what you like, you want the best tool for the job, don't try and make other tools fit if there is something you like better. Hope that helps.

Azureus uses java that's why it takes memory up but they probably coded it wrong or just let java decide what memory to use.

I've been using KTorrent for the past few months. Unfortunately, it has been blocked from one of my favorite torrent sites, BitMe.

Azureus uses java that's why it takes memory up but they probably coded it wrong or just let java decide what memory to use.

Well yeah, java is more or less an abstract machine, I mean its kindof like running a vm just for that applications. Its petty bulky to do that.

Well yeah, java is more or less an abstract machine, I mean its kindof like running a vm just for that applications. Its petty bulky to do that.

I think thats kind of a rough interpretation of whats going on with a Java program. Yeah, the program literally runs in a virtual machine (javavm) but thats a much different beast than say VMware. Java is not the only language that uses a vm, .Net and Ruby are just two other examples. It is very possible to create fast and non-memory-hogging Java programs. Such poor performance is often caused by improper programming techniques and inexperienced programmers.

I use Transmission on OS X.

The Linux port should be he same.

Yes, Transmission is very good and lightweight. It uses GTK.

Just installed KTorrent but haven't used it yet.

Always used uTorrent on XP, hoping to get a bit more speed from Linux.

Edited by Swerve

If you haven't tried Deluge yet, I'd give it a whirl. Pretty similar to Utorrent as far as look and feel. Very lightweight, but has most of the features you're looking for. Like file selection, DHT, and such. It's fairly new and I just started using it a few days ago, but so far it's become my favorite and only bittorrent client. Might be worth giving it a try.

I am definitely going to try out deluge, but I have always liked qtorrent.

haha, just got finished reading 'Linux Format' (a UK based Linux Mag)

They just had a Linux BitTorrent Client 'RoundUp'.

You can look for it at Borders/BAMM/B&N but the long and short of it that Azereus won with an 8/10 rating.

Don't quote me but other scores were as follows:

BitTornado 2/10

Deluge 4/10

Ktorrent 6/10

BitTorrent 4/10

If anyone has a copy maybe they can update this but, Linux Format is a very legit and fair mag so I trust them.

torrentflux is another option and it has a pretty web interface ;)

rtorrent, commandline all the way.

QFTMFT

P.S. use ctorrent to create torrrent files for you (i am lame and ctorrent is easy), THEN fall in love with the ncurses based interface of rtorrent and tunnel your screen sessions from here to kingdom come.

As for running utorrent in a virtual machine, or even on Wine. I think that's pretty silly. Linux has no shortage of native clients. So they're not exactly like utorrent, but they get the job done, no?

I also use Ktorrent, and I like it quite a bit. I had a similar experience with Azureus. Supposedly, the JRE 1.4.3 had a lot of issues with memory leaks. According to friends of mine who still use Azureus, it runs much better now, since the release of JRE 1.5.

I also use Ktorrent, and I like it quite a bit. I had a similar experience with Azureus. Supposedly, the JRE 1.4.3 had a lot of issues with memory leaks. According to friends of mine who still use Azureus, it runs much better now, since the release of JRE 1.5.

You're joking? right... Java 1.5 and 1.6 are jsut as leaky as 1.4 was, which was more leaky than a sieve without a bottom to it.

As an example, consider this. I installed "Together Enterprise" from Borland (a requirement from Uni) and left it running all night after switching the default JVM from 1.4 (Shipped) to 1.5 (local install) by way of replacing the shipped JVM directory with a sim-link to my system jvm.

I left Borland running overnight, by morning it had consumed all of my memory, and about half of my swap space.

1.6 did a similar thing with Netbeans.

You're joking? right... Java 1.5 and 1.6 are jsut as leaky as 1.4 was, which was more leaky than a sieve without a bottom to it.

As an example, consider this. I installed "Together Enterprise" from Borland (a requirement from Uni) and left it running all night after switching the default JVM from 1.4 (Shipped) to 1.5 (local install) by way of replacing the shipped JVM directory with a sim-link to my system jvm.

I left Borland running overnight, by morning it had consumed all of my memory, and about half of my swap space.

1.6 did a similar thing with Netbeans.

To be honest I'm not surprised. I'm not a fan of Java. I use it because I have to. I program regularly with the Eclipse SDK, and yes, it sucks (memory), like no other. However, I do think that 1.5 is less leaky than 1.4. That's not to say that 1.5 isn't leaky, but seriously, 1.4 was just ridiculous.

More recently I've been using Qtorrent (based on QT) and I love it.

Light weight yet, powerful. Qtorrent FTW.

I'm friends with a guy who got into Google's Summer of Code, and he's working on MonoTorrent, a torrent client in GTK#, that runs on Mono (and probably .Net)