Utah_Viper

Block Messengers

18 posts in this topic

I want to block messenger use over my network. I want to block Yahoo and MSN messengers. I have looked a bit online and only found some help, yet still confused. I have a linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have cable internet and desktop and laptop on the network. I read that I may be able to block the ports but not quite how. In the router set-up I think I found where, but do I have to actually know the MAC of each computer? I hope someone can help me out.

Just set your router to block port tcp ports 1863, 5050.

Now you shouldn't have to know the MAC address if I remember right. (somebody correct me if I am wrong)

You may be looking at the port forwarding settings. You need to check your filtering settings probably under security.

However there is another prob. Apparently (from what I understand) is that Yahoo messenger will pretty much look for any open port or has the feature to change what port it uses (I haven't used it in a long time so if any one could confirm this or not would also be much appreciated)

I don't know the simple "home user" way to do this. At work I simply block outbound access and users connect to the Internet with a cache server. I think that AIM uses port 5190, but no idea about yahoo and MSN. I forget if the WRT54G can filter specific computers from using a port via MAC address, at least without flashing dd-wrt. I know that you should be able to filter a port competely network wide though. That would be found in the router settings web admin page. go to http://192.168.1.1 and poke through there.

WRT54G should be able to filter each user. Hell my WRK54G can so I am fairly confident that WRT54G can.

Also you might want to block port 5051 as well. From what I understand one of those programs uses it for voice chat.

I have looked at all the admin settings. I see the access restrictions area but still having trouble with it. I also tried to block the Myspace web site from the network but that didn't work either. I save the settings yet still can access it.

To block the messengers do I need a separate policy for yahoo and msn? or can I set it all in one policy?

This should help you. It has very nice guides for various things as well as lots of common ports.

Have the software firewall block it. You won't get a router to do it unless you mess with the firmware.

Of course, the easy way to bypass either is to use one of the many free services like webmessenger.msn.com, which has traffic that's %100 port 80.

Would it be possible to block the installation of the application in the first place? If these are machines on your home network you must have access to them. It seems like stopping the program would be stopping the problem as close to the source as possible.

Would it be possible to block the installation of the application in the first place? If these are machines on your home network you must have access to them. It seems like stopping the program would be stopping the problem as close to the source as possible.

Yes, it's called LGPO (Local Group Policy Object).

However, none of what's discussed will stop people from using meebo or AIM Express or other IM clients-over-the-web or bitlbee.

However, none of what's discussed will stop people from using meebo or AIM Express or other IM clients-over-the-web or bitlbee.

Well if the user decides to use a web based client, those can be blocked in the browser locally also. For example, everything on aim express I think uses aimexpress.com. If blocking locally is a possibility it would be much easier then putting in a traffic shaping system just for this one task.

Controlling from the router is far easier and provides a much more central place to manage and control. Go to one router for changes for go to what could be 3+ machines to make one change? Router's faster+easier.

Controlling from the router is far easier and provides a much more central place to manage and control. Go to one router for changes for go to what could be 3+ machines to make one change? Router's faster+easier.

I agree, but on the other hand I run my network like a sys admin. Everything is physically placed correctly, SNMP monitors traffic, IP phones on a seprate vlan, smoothwall machine doing routing between the 3 networks (wifi, internet, lan), Snort and Squid. If you already have the equipment in place, its really simple but if the dude doesn't have a lot of networking knowledge it might be easier for him just to block it on x number of machines rather then flash his router with openwrt.

However I do strongly recommend that you invest some time into setting up a secure and efficient network, and I would be happy to help if you have any questions bro. Just let me know.

Sys admins do not run networks, network admins do.

Plus WRT can do most of this crap out of the box with default flash.

Sys admins do not run networks, network admins do.

*hunches in shame :blush:

oooooohh.... Thats about the worst typo you can make aside from the star wars / star trek one.

Which version of the WRT54G router do you have?

There's always a way around IM client blocks. We all use IM so you all keep figuring out new ways to keep using IM. Have a staff/family/binrev/whatever meeting and tell the people that you wish them not to use such programs and the reason why. If they are employees + using your equipment + abusing the resources= bring their own laptop with cell card or fuck off.

On your network you are king. The GlobalInterWeb is not a democracy.

Or you could introduce them to clients that run under sybian. http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml

Get them to buy new phones and then unlease bluetooth vengeance upon them.

Or if you don't have the power to do that, use a Jedi mind trick on your supervisor and warn of the "hackers" out there who use IM clients to "root" your system.

Edited by Elitch

Still Having Trouble....

I get into the router admin and go to the access restrictions section. In that area I have tried everything, blocking ports, web sites, even trying to block ALL access at all. Seems none of the Policies that I set up do anything at all, they dont block any type of traffic that I set up to block. Maybe a bit more about my situation.....

I have Cable internet and that is connected through the WRT54G Router (firmware 1.00.9) From the router it goes to my home PC and then my roommate access the wireless. I have set up wireless security and don't mind sharing the bandwidth with him. The problem that I have is do to some "legal" issues I am not to be on any Chat, Messengers, or certain websites. My roommate is aware of this issue and at first complied. It has been about a month since this all started and now he is back using messenger's, Myspace and Myspace chat. I am hoping that I can just outright block the messengers and certain websites to eliminate ANY possibility that my network can be on them . I don't want to have to deny access outright and close my wireless so im hoping to set access policies with the router.

I hope maybe this additional information will help everyone find a solution that will work for me.

What if you changed the firmware to dd-wrt, and then used iptables to block out the ports associated with the IM protocols, and the IPs to myspace, etc.?