Booter

30 Days with Linux

15 posts in this topic

Interesting article on how the guy switched to Ubuntu for 30 days. He goes into fairly good detail of his process and lists any complications that came up.

Article

Ya I saw that. It's good to see people switch to Linux.

I saw that too actually, if your looking for more of those go to digg and just search for ubuntu. About twice a week it seems like another blogger is making some "10 reasons to switch to linux", "30 days with ubuntu", "7 Reasons my grandma likes ubuntu"

A lot of ubuntu articles. Ubuntu is doing something right apparently... might have something to do with the fact that Mark is fucking loaded and has been in space. I wish they would change the default theme from brown though.

it's not brown in kubuntu.

Oh thats right, come to think of it the laptop besides me is running xubuntu and that theme is mostly blue. Still you think for the most popular version of that distro they could pick a color scheme that isn't brown.

that article had some good points linux is good but needs to start picking up slack, more devices need to be supported ,and 64 bit isnt worth running atm because lack of software. I liked the article , thx for sharing it ; ].

maybe propose a bluebuntu project

standard ubuntu, but in blue.

What they should do is that during the install a screen should ask you what theme you would like? Some blueish, black and silver, brown..etc.

Edited by Drake Anubis

All in all he did a decent job, though he could have done a bit more research before he wrote it. For starters, even windows 64bit (xp x64, I haven't tried vista and don't plan on it) has tons of issues and incompatibilities. Lots of hardware and software do not work, this is not a linux issues, it is an issue with it being fairly new to the intel architecture and many companies don't want to spend extra money making or modifying software for an architecture they will get less sales for. And the gaming section was a bit of a let down. He failed to mention the hundreds if no thousands of free games available for linux as well as mention that all id games; unreal series, doom series, quake series, and a number of mods for their engines, Enemy Territory exist on linux. Not to mention Enemy Territory: Quake Wars which will be released hopefully soon. While you may not be able to play every new game that comes out, people really do underestimate Linux as a gaming platform.

maybe propose a bluebuntu project

standard ubuntu, but in blue.

What they should do is that during the install a screen should ask you what theme you would like? Some blueish, black and silver, brown..etc.

that is a great idea...teh brown has got to go

Dospod, did you say Linux needs to support more devices? You do know that XP doesn't hold a candle to the devices that are supported, never mind Vista. Some devices aren't, but I guarantee that XP doesn't have out of the box for it either then.

30 days?!

sigh....

alright, you can sleep on the couch, beer's in the fridge, try not to make a mess of the bathroom.

:P

Seriously, 64 bit version of Ubuntu needs work, I ran automatix and it broke pango and a bunch of other stuff. There is no flash (well, since I stopped using it) and other nice stuff for Ubuntu64.

Dospod, did you say Linux needs to support more devices? You do know that XP doesn't hold a candle to the devices that are supported, never mind Vista. Some devices aren't, but I guarantee that XP doesn't have out of the box for it either then.

Yea I know xp aint much better but if you have the drivers its hella easier to set up than in linux, and vista well alot of the driver stuff has changed it reconized all my laptops stuff out of box and grabbed updated drivers for them 2 ( unheard of with winxp). I think os's in general now a days need better hardware support , thats the reason I don't use linux on my laptop because its a pain in the ass getting my wifi card to work (also broadcoms fault for being so closed source).

Seriously, 64 bit version of Ubuntu needs work

You're being nice, the 64 bit version needs a ton of work, its so unstable I had problems installing it on some 64 bit machines. I'm sure it will improve as time goes on though.

i kinda like the brown theme , altho the kubuntu color scheme is good too

i think ubuntu is growing so much because it is always suggested as a good starter distro, and that there is SOOO much support with it, community wise.

personally im not a big ubuntu fan, but it does seem like the most popular distro