Jonelliott

Which Operating System

54 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 posts in this topic

Which is your favorite OS?

Edited by Iceh4cker

I am surprised you didn't have a BSD section and maybe an other listing for some of the more obscure ones.

openbsd or freebsd at first place, slackware, xp (purely for games) and then nothing else.

BeOS and Amiga ? =P

probably Ubuntu, not just for personal use but because normal people can use it and slowly topple the Evil MSFT Empire =]

Where's SkyOS? :flamethrow:

Debian > *

Server 2003, SuSe, Debian, XP (with themes and services severely disabled and much tweaking, hate 'out of the box').

No OpenVMS?

I am crushed. :pissright: :whatsup:

Edited by Linux

Different OSes suit different purposes.

Slackware is best for learning Linux.

XP is my favorite Windows OS though I hate some aspects of its GUI.

Mandrake was the most user friendly Linux distro that I tried years ago but its hardware detection used to fail randomly (9.0).

So, yeah, different OS for different uses.

Vista, Debian and OS X.

Windows2k, OpenBSD, MacOSX.

Windows2000: I know it through and through, which means that what I run is about as tight as a 16 year old Japanese virgin. It has all the driver support of XP, a decent file system and permissions management, runs the editing apps I use, and is extremely stable (uptime into the months.) It has an unfair advantage on the driver side, but that has to be taken into account. Plus, as it comes to video editing and the like, there's simply no fair substitute on the open-source platforms (Cinerella, Kino, etc. - all BLOW.) Plus I have Cygwin running on it, which gives me the ability to SSH in, use bash scripting, have cron jobs, etc.

OpenBSD: One of my favourite OS, but it's lack of applicability for what I do leave it in the "oh it's nice" category. The hardware support is an issue (I have some pretty esoteric things which aren't even supported in Linux), and of course - video editing solutions ain't the best. Nor can it handle much of the Windows-only software I run (ArcGIS, PCI Geomatica.) Again, not the fault of OpenBSD, but a fact that can't be ignored.

MacOSX: Functional. I use it at work. It's window management features make video editing a breeeeeze (I have to revert between Photoshop and Final Cut Pro often, preview images here, music there.) It also incorporates a few nifty features that are handy when dealing with folders chock full of stuff, and connects to our Windows 1.5TB fileserver with ease. A nice platform. That said, it's hardware support lacks.

opensuse 10.2, redhat 8, win3.1, winxp

I've had redhat on my brokendown laptop (busted screen, fuck you sony) for a couple years and still don't know how to use it very well. More recently i've ditched xp on my new laptop and installed opensuse, which is wonderful, except for the package management system. For some reason I can't add any online repositories so i'm still in default and considering putting a small partition with xp so I can watch my anime. 3.1 is great fun for those of use who were around "back in the day" Long live Dos!

Xp is almost strictly for gaming and movie watching now as even my wife is digging the open source vibe.

Does basic count as an operating system. I still use my malaysian IIe clone about once a week.

Oh yeah. Seal, you rule, I'm watching the pirates battle right now

cheers

1. Debian

2. OpenBSD

3. Gentoo

4. Cray HPC enhanced Linux

5. Solaris

6. HP-UX

7. NetBSD

8. z/OS

9. IRIX

10. AIX

At work, I have to use a combination of xp, 2k3, 2k, Hp-ux/solaris. At home i use gentoo, xp, 2k, ubuntu, and other bsd distros. It all depends on the mood and what i am trying to accomplish whether it be security testing, editing audio or video or just trying out some new distro that is getting alot of hype at the time...

Mac OS X ( go hexley for darwin ; ]), Vista ( =[ broadcom card dosent work well in linux), and Fedora for other stuff