Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Utah_Viper

Emergency Erase

24 posts in this topic

What tools are methods can I use to preform a Emergency Erase of my entire hard drive? I would prefer something that can be on a flash drive or disc that could be ran quickly.

So that if FBI and KGB is at your door you can erase all data :ninja::lol:

Throw a really big magnet on your HDD and slowly go and open the door :lol:

Usually, when you use quick tools it´s very easly recoverable too..

I did some test back in 97/98 under dos, several times formatted hard disk, and some sections over writed, I still managed to recover some data.

sledgehammer is the most quick way I think.

Run your OS off a usb flash drive with no casing, using truecrypt and:

Keep a 'will it blend' advertiser near by,

A large rock,

007 geeks favourite ,thermite, although I wouldn't want to be sitting next to it,

Use your imagination, all you have to do is destroy a 10mm x 20mm chip.

there are lots of disk wiping programs available that can pretty much get rid of your data but they take a long time to finish, to really get rid of data that you dont want anybody to find you should destroy the drive completely. open it up and take a grinder to the platters and really fuckem up good.

I agree. There is no software that can beat smashing the disk to pieces or fucking burning it. However, if you are just looking to wipe the drive (not carring that much about the ability to recover data), a big magnet will do the job faster than any program. :)

- DarkShadow

Throw a really big magnet on your HDD and slowly go and open the door :lol:

That would require an insanely strong magnet, insanely as in pull the iron from your blood.

lol have you ever tried hitting a hard drive with a hammer, it may stop working but it barely scratches the disks.

Destroying the medium the data is stored on is the way to go.

Remember kids thermite is your friend. I think the best idea would be. Take your current HD. Copy it all to an external HD then destroy your original HD. Then BUy a new small HD put windows and access your files off the removable. Those are probably much more easy to destroy in case of "emergency."

Data overwriting programs that over right HDD's many times look much different under forensic scrutiny compared to the regular 'recycle bin' type methods. They use random characters unlike the OS normally would. They cannot see what was on the drive but they can tell you hid what was on it.

Thermite works fast, there a vid on the net I saw a few weeks back, can't remember the makers tho unfortunately.

you can buy very high end HDDs that when a specific key combination is pressed will break a capsule of acid over the platter (i believe these were/are sold)

lol have you ever tried hitting a hard drive with a hammer, it may stop working but it barely scratches the disks.

Use un-screwed hard disk, then you just have to lift up half of the casing, and smashing can begun

Not a hammer, a sledgehammer, a big sledgehammer, and use it whit an anvil, few hits and you are done :D

[EoOT]

(End Of OffTopic)

EDIT: sorry for bullshit talk, too tired to think, need sleep <_<

Edited by ES5TAW

:lol:

Trigger happy guys with guns burst into the room and see you madly wielding a sledgehammer above your head.

[EoL]

(End of Life)

Use un-screwed hard disk, then you just have to lift up half of the casing, and smashing can begun

Not a hammer, a sledgehammer, a big sledgehammer, and use it whit an anvil, few hits and you are done :D

[EoOT]

(End Of OffTopic)

EDIT: sorry for bullshit talk, too tired to think, need sleep <_<

or you could just incinerate the drive

-Enigma

Why not keep your files that may be incriminating on a small encrypted partition on a thumbdrive. You can easily destroy one of those with just your hands or a random heavy object around you, and they are much more difficult to retrieve data from once it has been overwritten. No to mention they will need your passphrase.

Thermite or a bottle of acid--OR you can try encrypting the folders that you don't want to get busted with--If I was you I would use 256 bit encryption with a 40 character password--mixed punct, symbols, and numbers :).

Diablo

What you wanna do is build a team of fighting robots- like the ones from Virtual On! When the GRU is ON2U, turn on the robots, send two outside to hold off the popos, and use the last one to fly through your roof and shower your household with a fury of warheads.

And flip the bird while lighting a cigarette.

edit: typos

Edited by theMaxx

How about a portable USB/Firewire drive embedded in the contrete floor, running encryption with a random key generated at boot time....?

1) They kill the power the data is gone.

2) They can't get physical access easy.

Seriously though is the data THAT secure, or is this a hyperthetical question?

Munge.

Thanks for all the input. I am not too concerned over the issue was more a hypothetical due to some events lately. Sound like the best bet is to keep anything "illegal" on a separate flash drive.

To save time, you should probably use a Removable Drive Bay; unless you want to spend 10 minutes unscrewing screws.

Then use the thermite.

Also, I know this is fairly dated but, they on episode 3 of The Broken (with Kevin Rose) they used thermite to melt a laptop.

It's pretty cool if you've never seen it before I guess.(plus that have Notorious BIG playing the background :voteyes: )

youre outta luck even some data that has been over written several times is still recoverable

That has yet to be publicly demonstrated.

If you want to keep your data away from the FBI, first stop doing stupid things. If you cannot do that, encrypt your data.

If you are doing illegal shit AND you are reasonably intelligent, you wouldn't even keep any of your sensitive data at home to begin with.....I mean if I had some ub3r secret shit in my room, I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night....do all your illegal things on public machines and hide the usb drives somewhere else..or even those tiny mobile sd cards...(ie: put the small sd cards in a bag of chips)

youre outta luck even some data that has been over written several times is still recoverable

You're kidding right? You can write over a hard drive, throw it into a fire and then drop it in the ocean and as long as they physcially have the hard drive, they'll be able to recover information.

That is if they're willing to pay the big bucks (i.e. electron microscope etc) and that's extremely unlikely unless you're the John Gotti of hacking.

You should really listen to the BinRev episode about forensics.

If you want to keep your data away from the FBI, first stop doing stupid things. If you cannot do that, encrypt your data.

Ok, you don't have to be doing 'stupid things' for the FBI to want your computer. What if he was researching a gov't conspiracy or he had something against the FBI?

You don't have to actually be doing something wrong, as long as they think what you're doing is wrong (two very different things).

It's up to you to keep your data safe.

Edited by xGERMx

You're kidding right? You can write over a hard drive, throw it into a fire and then drop it in the ocean and as long as they physcially have the hard drive, they'll be able to recover information.

That is if they're willing to pay the big bucks (i.e. electron microscope etc) and that's extremely unlikely unless you're the John Gotti of hacking.

You should really listen to the BinRev episode about forensics.

Things like magnetic force microscopy could recover data, but they have their problems and can be beat with very basic techniques. Magnetic force microscopy, for example, cannot differentiate between the various overwrites, making everything seem like one big jumble. Add on to that file fragmentation and you have a huge challenge in front of you.

Ok, you don't have to be doing 'stupid things' for the FBI to want your computer. What if he was researching a gov't conspiracy or he had something against the FBI?

You don't have to actually be doing something wrong, as long as they think what you're doing is wrong (two very different things).

It's up to you to keep your data safe.

If you are uncovering top secret conspiracies, the FBI won't mess with your hard drive: They'll just whack you.

Getting to your actual point, if the FBI wanted your drive, they could take it. If you're not doing anything wrong, they won't find anything, deleted data or not, so there's no problem (in respect to data recovery, at least).

I'm not trying to turn this into a political thread or anything but,

"Getting to your actual point, if the FBI wanted your drive, they could take it. If you're not doing anything wrong, they won't find anything, deleted data or not, so there's no problem (in respect to data recovery, at least)."

Who is to say what's right or wrong? The FBI...haha?