Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hacnslash

2.6 kernel

7 posts in this topic

has somebody gotten the 2.6 kernel to install any modules?

it boots up every time but there are NO modules compiled anywhere. there is no /lib/modules/2.6.0-test7 (or whatever number) directory either.

alas i have tried to replace the 2.4.22 kernel in the slack iso with 2.6 and i got a kernel panic (expectable, but worth a shot), so if anybody can send me any 2.6 bzImages please do, i guess they should be small enough to be emailed, thanks.

edit: yes, i do have the new module init utils.

what commands did you use to compile? i know make now includes make dep, make bzImage and make modules. but im not sure if you have to do make modules_install separately :unsure:

also, did you translate your modules.conf into modprobe.conf?

I did work with the 2.6.0 alpha 1 kernel, and from what I remember you have to recompile the kernel tools for that particular build.

All the tools have new version and code and as such need to be recompiled; the entire subsystem has been changed for many key pionts, from what I understand and as such allot will not work unless your working with the bleeding edge.. and then its still beta..

allright, to answer questions

you dont need to do a make dep anymore, just make bzImage make modules make modules install

and i did just that.

i also had the module init tools that 2.6 needs (the latest stable version 0.9.14), i am not aware of any other programs i need to change??

WOW AM I A FUCKING RETARD OR WHAT!?????????

when i recompiled I said "make modules install" instead of "make modules_install" wow how fucking retarded am I!?! so thats prolly why it didna install modules..

yup...that was it, anyway i recompiled again with everything in the kernel, so i dont have any modules anyway...can't wait till 2.6 final comes out...w00t w00t

by the by, at test7 linus issued a "stability freeze", so from now on only bug fixes and neccessary updates will be accepted, no extra "goodies". and also, test8 is out now.