Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amazing_ned

AIM crashes, then takes computer with it

6 posts in this topic

This just started happening today, after having to completely format and reload my Windows drive because the install got corrupted (it started rebooting on its own and I was having tons of other issues, none to do with spyware or anything) last week, this starts happening. After a short while AIM will crash. Killing the process does nothing, as the buddy list and any related windows are still there. After a short while, this behavior extends to another window and/or windows itself, preventing me from interacting at all with my desktop (via keyboard and mouse), to the point where I can do absolutely nothing. This always starts with AIM, and I've even upgraded my client but that hasn't helped. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

I had more issues with GAIM, but I'm beginning to think I had too many half-open TCP connections allowed (100) and that, mixed with unlimited connections on a number of large torrents, AIM, and other programs could have possibly caused the instability. I'm playing with settings and seeing what happens.

I would use some sort of tool software or bootable OS to make not start at boot. Next I would start it useing Regmon or Filemon and look for anythong odd (might also use Process explorer as well) from there you could see and incorrect dll's being loaded or if some other program is conflicting with it. Also I would use Dr Watson to cap a log of the crash and then send it to the aol support and see if they could figure it out.

OOOORRRR.... I would just use a different client that can connect to AIM. That way I don't have as many problem with AOL period :D

You will have to have some idea as to what you are doing for the first methods will work.

I'll try the first method if it happens again, right now I am thinking that there were just too many TCP connections overall. Thanks.

I'll try the first method if it happens again, right now I am thinking that there were just too many TCP connections overall. Thanks.

You may also want to get hackit so that you can kill processes a little easier. It's a lot better than the program manager that comes with windows.