I-baLL

Hard Drive Recovery Tools

21 posts in this topic

What're some good, free (or shareware or just open source) hard drive recovery tools?

When you say "recovery," do you mean recovering deleted files, or repairing disks with lost sectors?

For recovering deleted files, I like Undelete:

http://www.diskeeper.com/undelete/undelete...CFSWnIwod1kopBA

As far as repairing damaged hdds goes, SpinRite is a pretty good utility:

http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm

--edited cuz I cant spel fr shyt--

Edited by MyNameIsURL

Damaged drives.

Checking out SpinRite right now.

Hmmm, SpinRite;s not free and there's no demo.

I was going to say dd_rescue, so I'll just second it. It's awesome, and effective. When it can't read a single block, it will skip right over it and continue, instead of halting like dd would do. I would go with a live cd like 4bak or something else with it on there. I know Knoppix does.

The one, the only, SystemRescueCD

Free and Free; Tons of features

If you haven't seen it before, I suggest checking it out. This is one of the only Linux Live CDs I use.

Latest build has NTFS-3G for NTFS read/writes.

Edited by xGERMx

Well, you never said it had to be free.

Did you read my original post?

What're some good, free (or shareware or just open source) hard drive recovery tools?

See the part that says:

"free (or shareware or just open source"?

for some of the few *.exe i still have that are not open source, try Restoration

I've used hiren's boot cd in the past thats worked not sure how legal it is thou!

Did you read my original post?

See the part that says:

"free (or shareware or just open source"?

Oops, sorry.

One of these days I'm going to have to learn to read.

SpinRite doesn't have a trial version, but they do have a 100% money-back guarantee. If you buy the software and it doesn't work, you don't like the color or whatever, you can email them and they'll return your 100% of your money, no questions asked, and they'll trust you to uninstall/destroy the program.

I guess they don't offer a trial version because one-time users form a good portion of their customer base. However, the program has a maintenance functionality that helps prevent hard drive failures if you run it once every month or 2.

Spinrite is a great tool. It works extremely well for a damaged hdd. It takes a long ass time (like 24-48 hours) but it works. The dude from the Security Now podcast is the guy who coded it.

Anyone got any ideas how I could fix a hard drive which IS being recognised by BIOS but it fails to 'initialise/run', if that's the right word?

Basically it was working, I low level formatted it and now it doesn't work. It's a Maxtor and I tried both the MaxBlast and PowerMax programs but to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas how I could fix a hard drive which IS being recognised by BIOS but it fails to 'initialise/run', if that's the right word?

Basically it was working, I low level formatted it and now it doesn't work. It's a Maxtor and I tried both the MaxBlast and PowerMax programs but to no avail.

And I quote...

The one, the only, SystemRescueCD

Free and Free; Tons of features

If you haven't seen it before, I suggest checking it out. This is one of the only Linux Live CDs I use.

Latest build has NTFS-3G for NTFS read/writes.

ive used the linux based systemrescue.iso its pretty good, but if you want to restore a specific file you could use the program restoration its free and works great... dont know tho if it would work on files deleted with the [shift+del] methode since this would leave one less flag on the hd

cheers n' beers

Hirens CD is not legal, it is full of copyright violations. I have *cough*seen other guys*cough* used it and had great success recovering bad blocks and sectors with HDD Regenerator though, when they were in a hurry and didn't want to download a whole distro or whatever.

I use file scavenger its better than search and recover , it can find files after the drive has been formated