zpr

Cain & Abel

9 posts in this topic

I downloaded Cain & Abel, read a little, and have been tinkering with it for a while, and I have a few questions.

I have 3 computers [including the one i'm using cain on] and they're all connected to my wireless router.

The one running cain & abel on is windows, the other two ubuntu linux and mac os x. When I go to the network tab, the only computer that shows up in the quick list is 127.0.0.1 [localhost, of course]. I don't see why the others [192.168.1.***] are showing up. Also, when I click on Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > WORKGROUP > All Computers, I get an error that says "Couldn't enumerate computers: The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

So, my question is, why can't I connect to other computers? I even tried to add them manually?

Second question, how does the sniffer work? And I'm not really sure what ARP poisoning is..

Thanks,

nick

I downloaded Cain & Abel, read a little, and have been tinkering with it for a while, and I have a few questions.

I have 3 computers [including the one i'm using cain on] and they're all connected to my wireless router.

The one running cain & abel on is windows, the other two ubuntu linux and mac os x. When I go to the network tab, the only computer that shows up in the quick list is 127.0.0.1 [localhost, of course]. I don't see why the others [192.168.1.***] are showing up. Also, when I click on Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > WORKGROUP > All Computers, I get an error that says "Couldn't enumerate computers: The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

So, my question is, why can't I connect to other computers? I even tried to add them manually?

Second question, how does the sniffer work? And I'm not really sure what ARP poisoning is..

Thanks,

nick

Moderates move this to Nubie HQ

Maybe because your looking at a Microsoft network

Microsoft Windows Network > WORKGROUP > All Computers

{^Just a wild guess dont critize^) Not that knowledgeable with Mac OS X Wireless Networking ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_poisoning

Google the Sniffiing Part and look around through www.oxid.it

Thanks for the references.

But nothing still explains why I can only connect to localhost..

Try selecting the sniffer tab, and pressing the "+" button. Then you should get a message that says "Scanning MAC Addresses". Before you do that make sure that the config is correct, and you may or may not need to use promiscuous mode. Play around with that, also make sure that the sniffer is on before you press the "+", you can turn it on by clicking the sniffer button on the top menu. And try to follow the steps in that guide provided above to launch ARP poisoning.

Try selecting the sniffer tab, and pressing the "+" button. Then you should get a message that says "Scanning MAC Addresses". Before you do that make sure that the config is correct, and you may or may not need to use promiscuous mode. Play around with that, also make sure that the sniffer is on before you press the "+", you can turn it on by clicking the sniffer button on the top menu. And try to follow the steps in that guide provided above to launch ARP poisoning.

Okay, so I turned the sniffer on and hit the plus button. It scanned and returned nothing. Then I tried promiscuous mode and I still got nothing. So then I went into config and changed the adapter from the one that has my local ip's [192.168.1.1-255] and that has my real ip [**.***.***.**-255]. And still I get no results. Could my router be blocking it? Or maybe something else..

I am not sure.. I just tried it on my network, with no promiscuous mode, and my wifi adapter highlighted in the sniffer tab under config and it worked fine.

EDIT: Maybe your MAC OSX Box and Linux box are blocking it? But that shouldn't be the case, as I have tried sniffing my school network and it returned lots of Apple devices..

Edited by dalejrrocks

I am not sure.. I just tried it on my network, with no promiscuous mode, and my wifi adapter highlighted in the sniffer tab under config and it worked fine.

EDIT: Maybe your MAC OSX Box and Linux box are blocking it? But that shouldn't be the case, as I have tried sniffing my school network and it returned lots of Apple devices..

Lol, I hate this =p

I really want this to work..

Edited by zpr

Aha!

It's my network thats messed up, not cain.

I discovered this when I tried to map a network drive, or when I tried remote shutdown.

Somethings wrong.

Who wants to help?