Swerve

Unable to boot off an external CD drive

9 posts in this topic

The situation I have is an old PIII Toshiba laptop has a faulty internal CD drive and I want to re-install XP Pro, BIOS shows no option for USB (bootable or otherwise) and so I cannot boot of my external USB CD ROM drive.

What I ideally need is a bootable floppy disc which would load the USB drivers and allow me to then boot from the external CD drive. Google/download.com has failed to offer any such discs and I am somewhat stuck.

Lastly, should it be relevant, the owner of the laptop has forgotten his Admin password, I have a Live CD of 0phtcrack to sort this, but alas until I can boot from the external CD drive I think this will be useless. I do not know if 0phcrack contains any USB drivers should that in some way provide a solution.

My research though has provided the suggestion that should I remove the internal CD drive, the laptop will automaticly attempt to boot from USB, this I have not tried yet as it is the last option I would like to try.

Summary - I need a bootable floppy which will load the USB drivers so to enable the use of a bootable XP installation CD.

Thanks.

I am sure there should be some kind of drivers to allow you to use an extrenal cd rom you may even be able to edit the old 98 boot floppy disk but i am sure it had something for an external drive. I will have a look around my disks at some point.

I did have the same problem on an ibm thinkpad but i ended up replaing the internal drive as they were cheap enough on ebay and made it worth it then too.

Thanks guys, I did search for a BIOS update but it appears the Laptop (Compaq Presario CM2080) is so old none are available, I really have searched around. That was the best option for sure, it's current BIOS seems well old, lol.

Secondly thanks B0rg, the trouble I have is fitting these USB drivers onto a bootable floppy. The page you linked is something I looked at before, I will have to spend a bit more time on it, to suss it out fully.

The situation I have is an old PIII Toshiba laptop has a faulty internal CD drive and I want to re-install XP Pro, BIOS shows no option for USB (bootable or otherwise) and so I cannot boot of my external USB CD ROM drive.

What I ideally need is a bootable floppy disc which would load the USB drivers and allow me to then boot from the external CD drive. Google/download.com has failed to offer any such discs and I am somewhat stuck.

Lastly, should it be relevant, the owner of the laptop has forgotten his Admin password, I have a Live CD of 0phtcrack to sort this, but alas until I can boot from the external CD drive I think this will be useless. I do not know if 0phcrack contains any USB drivers should that in some way provide a solution.

My research though has provided the suggestion that should I remove the internal CD drive, the laptop will automaticly attempt to boot from USB, this I have not tried yet as it is the last option I would like to try.

Summary - I need a bootable floppy which will load the USB drivers so to enable the use of a bootable XP installation CD.

Thanks.

My suggestion: any of the usb based linux distros. see if you can find one similar to knoppix' auditor edition.

What about netbooting? And if you were to boot from a usb device, you could always install linux form there.

He already said it wouldn't allow him to boot from USB.

My suggestion: All you're trying to do is re-install XP Pro, right? Can't you take out the HDD, hook that up to another comp and do it like that?

P.S: Don't forget, when installing XP, you can play Solitaire (Just watched Hak.5 ep1)

DONE IT!!

In the end I found a link, the official Micro$oft site has a download where you can initialise the XP installation from floppies and after I'd ran these 6 floppies it recognised the USB DVD-ROM drive and installed just as normal.

The method I was told about (not from here) about removing the internal cd/fdd drive and it automaticaly booting from USB didn't work.

Thanks for your help everyone, it's appreciated.

P.S: Don't forget, when installing XP, you can play Solitaire (Just watched Hak.5 ep1)

Wait, I wasn't aware the XP did anything besides play Solitaire... hold on, I need to google this...