phax

Which *nix

36 posts in this topic

For me its Mandriva.

Whilst probably being classed as a "noobstro" (noobie distro) - I like it. Anyway, it sometimes makes me work hard at keeping it running properly.

I have over the years tried a variety of distros, my first was Peanut Linux, but it was so unstable I was forced back into windows for a while. Following that, I went onto Mandrake, then tried Fedora core and Slackware. Although I was happy with Slackware (I hated Fedora), for some reason unknown to me, I felt compelled to return to Mandrake - probably its availability on the cover of Linux Format.

os x for the same reasons as zal , and the fact im trying to get into the music industry (dont plan on making it big though). And for servers source mage, freebsd, or slackware.

My main computer is OS X. I like to use the other BSD systems as well. My desktop is FreeBSD, as is my home server. I strongly dislike Linux. I like Windows because Visual Studio and MS Paint are badass.

My entire family are Mac addicts. I'm going to be one soon too.

It's the perfect compromise between linux and windows.

The only downsider is the price.

There are a few more, but there liveable with.

My dad is big in the music industry so he needs his mac oSx.

EDIT: Also, just curious. Why the hate for Linux? I know Unix and Linux don't include any code copying. But weren't they designed to do the same thing? Why is unix more superior.

Or what do you think it is?

Edited by gloomer

Try several distros and choose which ever *nix that you're comfortable with. Open source is all about choice rather than having to settle for one expensive and mediocre OS. I personally prefer Fedora Core.

My main computer is OS X. I like to use the other BSD systems as well. My desktop is FreeBSD, as is my home server. I strongly dislike Linux. I like Windows because Visual Studio and MS Paint are badass.

How can you hate Linux? It is to sexy to hate.

(Did Linux give you AIDS?)

Edited by zal91

MSPaint.jpg

WINE, FTW!

Edited by zal91

How can you hate Linux? It is to sexy to hate.

(Did Linux give you AIDS?)

It had a similar effect. It gave me headaches and caused me to lose sleep due to obesessive compulsive symptoms, activated by the shittiness that is Linux. Lack of sleep lead to a weakened immune symptoms... etc.

Overall effect: AIDS, except I got better, but only after I discovered BSD, which was basically after a good four years of using Linux, two of which were spent solid using Slackware, the other two were spent mixing between various distros and/or Windows. Hows that for a run on sentence?

How could you not hate anything without MS Paint

I can run windows in a VM.

Pretty easily, actually. Every time I use linux, I die a little inside. Fortunately, I rarely have to.
It gave me headaches and caused me to lose sleep due to obesessive compulsive symptoms, activated by the shittiness that is Linux.

Can you actually say *why* and list some reasons?