phax

Which *nix

36 posts in this topic

For me it's NetBSD!

Why, besides being the most portable os on the planet?

NetBSD's default settings are even more secure than OpenBSD's. Like sshd, portmap, sendmail & inetd services turned off by default and sshd's PermitRootLogin set to "No" (as it should be).

Taken from NetBSD site: http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/features.html#security]:

NetBSD has the least number of security bugs reported in any public forums (such as bugtraq). We believe in security without the hype.

This makes my world even a little more simpler.

Less exploits translates into a little more security.

That's my opinion and you have yours that's OK.

I use NetBSD not because is the most secure OS in the world, I use it because I can make it be the

most secure OS in the world. Got my drift.

What about you? Why do you use your favorite *nix distro?

I use Fedora

i started with fc5 when my windowz box fataly crashed and i didnt wanna pay for repairs to an operating system that i didnt like, so i bought an fc5 magazine in a local bookstore. since the release of fc6, thats what ive been using. i am open to suggestions to what other distro i could use. BTW:i mostly use my box for gaming or multimedia....(and h4x0ring)

I used Ubuntu.

It's a noob disto, but I don't give a fuck. I like it.

Mine is a toss up b/w 3.

Ubuntu, Freebsd, and Openbsd. (User friendly, yet I can do things "nerdy" if I want to :)

I am also familiar with slackware :)

I started using *nix on Ubuntu, then tried out Gentoo for a little while, however i didn't rely like it so i went back to ubuntu for the user-freindlyness (word?). Since then i have been experimenting with FreeBSD which has been fun, and a great learning experience.

Edited by byte

The only ones I like enough to use daily are Debian and OpenBSD because you can customize the shit out of them or leave them stock and they still suit my needs. I run Gentoo on my main laptop (which I love) but I rarely use it on my days off.

I use Ubuntu for my day to day use. I like it because it just works and don't have to mess around with too much to get it to work. Sometimes you need something that just functions. For a secondary OS I use Mandriva. And when I really want to explore the power of UNIX/Linux and get down to the nuts and bolts so to speak, there is Slackware and the BSDs.

Edited by eldiablo

Debian first, for its package manager. Damn Small Linux second, for its portability. Xubuntu third, for its hardware detection. I almost always use Debian for school work (minus VB .NET) and entertainment (email,media,irc).

Xubuntu Live CD comes in handy to test out new computers. I go to this local computer repair shop and when I am looking at lappys I pop in Xubuntu and see if it will at least boot Linux. This way if it boots and runs I know it is possible to get Debian running with some tweaking. DSL is great for fixing problems when you make an error with the bootloader config, or the like.

hmm Slackware FreeBSD and DemonEdge.

I like slackware due to it's BSD likeness and freeBSD becuase it lets me make real good jails and DemonEdge due to that it's my own distro :) which is based on slackware just more uptodate

The Distro's that i currently run are:

Slackware 11 - hardened

NetBSD

FC/6

knoppix

And have some windows boxes for testing some things out and malware testing.

The most used distro on my network would of course be Slackware :)

I've been using Linux for so long -- RedHat was just the "normal" choice to add support to for Apps, so that's what

i've chosen all along. I use computer's at work to keep close to the latest (FC5), but at home i run a very ancient

RH7.2. Anyone else stick with really old stuff? I prefer the older Gnome in some ways.

The old version is getting annoying for building the latest freeware, and with a new big disk I set aside

a partition for playing with newer versions. I suppose i should cut it up into 2 partitions so i can

have one for swap.

Another thing i want to explore is some virtualization. I've run VMWare at work for using Win underneath, so

that'd be my default first try.

Check out this link for a GREAT writeup on the virt stuff:

virtualization techniques

Oops, don't think that link work, so just text:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linu...01Virtual-Linux

Edited by bfc

I use freebsd for my desktop, I love it I love the ports package and just like how it feels (i know that sounds strange) and when my laptop finally arrives (Wednesday I hope!) I will install Gentoo on her :)

I mainly use OSX86 (Darwin 8.8.1) but sometimes I use FC6. And occasionally I will use ubuntu live cd ( I hate the brown colours ).

:mumble:

Like what features by default that the os has that they like. Not i use this or that.

NetBSD has a very slim install without all the bloat that I like.

If you don't know :unsure: maybe you shouldn't answer

Edited by phax

My ibook is running OS X 10.4 & Xubuntu.

my wife is running Zenwalk on her laptop.

the main desktop is running Solaris 10 11/06 x86 & Darwin 8.8 x86

Easy enough. FreeBSD for the mid-level machines. High performance, (when properly tuned), stable, and as secure as you make it. Which is really the case with any unix flavor. Gentoo on the desktops, linux in many desktop related cases has the better support, although not always. Solaris on the servers, mostly for network buffer/throughput purposes, but as I'm sure many know Solaris has many other benefits. Too numerous to list here.

NetBSD doesn't really do any security auditing, and apart from elad efrat (who has recently quit the netbsd project) nobody is really looking at security in netbsd; so for security purposes, I prefer openbsd.

Nothing like being owned by a few IP(v6) packets.

For me it's NetBSD!

Why, besides being the most portable os on the planet?

NetBSD's default settings are even more secure than OpenBSD's. Like sshd, portmap, sendmail & inetd services turned off by default and sshd's PermitRootLogin set to "No" (as it should be).

Taken from NetBSD site: http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/features.html#security]:

NetBSD has the least number of security bugs reported in any public forums (such as bugtraq). We believe in security without the hype.

This makes my world even a little more simpler.

Less exploits translates into a little more security.

That's my opinion and you have yours that's OK.

I use NetBSD not because is the most secure OS in the world, I use it because I can make it be the

most secure OS in the world. Got my drift.

What about you? Why do you use your favorite *nix distro?

Slackware all the way, NetBSD is nice too. Anything designed to be lean and stable (a server OS) will generally very good.

OS X

• Based on BSD
  • Easy to use but still customizable.
  • It can run *nix apps.
  • There is a large number of open source and commercial applications.

gentoo and openbsd

why: gentoo

i like the mascot icon and the default shell prompt colors are hawt

why: obsd

niels provos is a badass and puffy is hawt

gentoo and openbsd

why: gentoo

i like the mascot icon and the default shell prompt colors are hawt

why: obsd

niels provos is a badass and puffy is hawt

you pick your distros on the mascot. i really don't know what to say i'm just very puzzled and scared by this.