Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crotchlobster

interesting discovery on school network...

15 posts in this topic

i've been just messing around and goofing off in school learning about batch files, and i wrote one to restart the computer. (easy file to write lmao :P) But i am glad that i wrote such an easy file because when the computer restarted, i had to log in again. my school uses the novell client for windows. when you first go to log in you type in your username and password, then you are prompted for another username and password. Just goofing off i decided to type "admin" in the username and not type a password. i clicked ok and BOOM, im logged onto the pc as an admin. Would this be a network admin or just admin for this pc? if i just gained network admin then im about to have some fun on the network. I just want to know if anyone knows anything about this.

haha, so i guess the admin isnt as smart as i expected him to be...

would there be anything i can do from this one machine to edit network settings? firewall settings, user accounts, etc.

While here, ill just post this:

Supar easay teachrar documents accessz0rz: Right click start button -> explore all users

Shows everyone who has logged into computer. Click them. Shows documents.

(Works on MY network, dunno about you lawl)

Look at what you're logging on to? That will tell you whether that's a local or network admin.

Okay, this is just stupid

Your talking about going onto your school's network, which is protected by the law more than a regular home user's PC, accessing the network via admin

don't be THAT stupid

but, you got admin onto the local PC not the network

and, i'd say your netadmin needs to read a few tuts on novel networking

if i just gained network admin then im about to have some fun on the network. I just want to know if anyone knows anything about this.

people are going to think I'm flaming again, but if you don't know if your logged on to the network domain and don't know if you have admin rights on the network, i would think you wouldn't even know how to begin having fun on a windows network.

what's the point of 'hacking' your school network?

"oh gn0~!! I cant go to ma myspace!!!! i will h44x0r you so I can."

Read a book or something

im not doing this for anything like that...im just wanting to learn as much about everything that i can. This for me is a learning experience, not just to "h44x0r" the network for anything.

Edited by 4b50lut3 1337

If you have accsess to the teacher's files, you can get exam papers, on some networks even change your score if they store them on there.

what's the point of 'hacking' your school network?

"oh gn0~!! I cant go to ma myspace!!!! i will h44x0r you so I can."

Read a book or something

Everyone has to start somewhere... and why not a school computer? If you're a juvi then you won't get anything serious (jail time) and they can't confiscate your equipment because you used the schools stuff (which they did give you permission to use): & face it... in high school, computer programming is a joke. For shit's and giggles, set the password to something other then a null... & stop right there. if you get caught... tell them you just locked the door because you thought it was stupid to leave it open like it was...

At least he's got the required curiosity needed to start hacking... shouldn't shun him for that.

I know of a couple of folks (in different organisations) who stumbled across some security flaws in the network which they used at work. They told the sysadmins and were disciplined! The basis was that they shouldn't have been doing what they did when they identified the flaws.

From that, I've learned to keep my mouth shut. If I were to find a flaw, I wouldn't let the authorities know. I guess it's different if a security expert were to be employed to check the system's security.

I know of a couple of folks (in different organisations) who stumbled across some security flaws in the network which they used at work. They told the sysadmins and were disciplined! The basis was that they shouldn't have been doing what they did when they identified the flaws.

That's just plain sad.