Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doug

console gmail...

11 posts in this topic

I want to be able to check/send mail using my gmail account through console. i was thinking about the mail/sendmail command but i dunno how to configure it with pop3 and gmail's smtp. That way everytime i login via SSH i can tell me if i have any new mail

Try mutt, as in the *nix e-mail client. It should support pop3. You may also be able to use pine, which is a pretty reasonable client (I'm not sure; I've only used it for system e-mail).

Instead of going to all the trouble of setting up an MTA, why not just use lynx + gmail.com? That would keep you in the console, and give you full access to gmail.

He's not trying to set up an MTA (Mail Transfer Agent), he's trying to set up an MUA (Mail User Agent), get your TLAs straight!

Yeah, setting up a console mail client like pine or mutt shouldn't be hard at all. On the gmail help site about setting up mail clients, there should be a list of config settings. I really doubt they have specific instructions for setting up pine or mutt, but get the settings and figure the rest out yourself. One problem you might run into is I think gmail POP requires encryption, and that's not something every POP client supports. Also, gmail's SMTP requires authentication which not all clients support either (though most should).

Ya i mainly just want something to automatically check the pop every 20 minutes so when i login in via SSH it tells me right away if i have mail or not.

update: http://mogrify.homelinux.org/2006/01/03/us...utt-with-gmail/

foudn that. still trying to get outoging to work. incoming works fine via pine.

How can i setup pine to automatically tell me when i login to shell if i have new mail or not?

I know that "mail" does that on default installations of slackware and other few distros. But i'm not using mail, nor is it installed. will pine work for this feature too?

Edited by doug

why not use fetchmail + emacs

emacs shouldn't be used in general, but as an email client that's even more blasphemy.

I didn't even know gmail did POP, so that's pretty cool. At least if its for free -- yahoo charges more for this type of thing i think.

I know people like mutt, i use Pine for big piles of mail and I think its very similiar. I don't think you'll get Pine to somehow notify

you about new mail w/o actually starting it -- which seems like one of the questions. Notifications about new mail that happen

when you login probably depend on the old /var/spool type of mail (not IMAP or POP).

However, it'd be easy to program something to check for newmail via POP -- See RFC 1725 for the details, but the

basic transaction (to remote port 110) could look like

user <myusername>

pass <mypassword>

stat (or list)

quit

This is w/o any encryption, and your POP server may or may not allow it.

Personally, for the one POP mail account i use, i use fetchmail and feed the results to Perl module Mail::Audit

for easy filtering and filing.

-bc

@doug: I got it working with gmail at the command line. I followed that tutorial to the point and no problems at all. I am running Debian. I removed Exim4 and replaced it with ssmtp.

why not use fetchmail + emacs

emacs shouldn't be used in general, but as an email client that's even more blasphemy.

Ok, your a vi man but emacs has many great uses, no pun intended.