Magnum I.P.

Which Distro for a Pentium Pro 180mhz PC?

29 posts in this topic

I just got a computer from someone who finally upgraded to a new pc. This thing is a Gateway G6-180. It was made in 1996! Very old pc that I want to still use somehow. I can't seem to figure out what Distro would run decent on this machine. It has a 6GB HD and 64MB of ram. I am downloading freebsd at the moment to see if that will run. Any other suggestions?

dsl, slackware

i would install slackware myself, or a bsd firewall and make it an appliance.

dsl, slackware

i would install slackware myself, or a bsd firewall and make it an appliance.

i would say dsl or xubuntu or bsd

-Enigma

Anything but dsl. I really don't understand how people actually find it a good distro. It's so horribly put together and is not designed to be installed. In my experience upgrading with apt broke packages so you can't even keep it up to date.

Anything but dsl. I really don't understand how people actually find it a good distro. It's so horribly put together and is not designed to be installed. In my experience upgrading with apt broke packages so you can't even keep it up to date.

I second that emotion. You probably aren't going to have much luck running anything with a GUI. Just about any distro without X Windows running in the background would turn the box into a useable shell server to mess around with, though.

Edited by Dirk Chestnut

I second that emotion. You probably aren't going to have much luck running anything with a GUI. Just about any distro without X Windows running in the background would turn the box into a useable shell server to mess around with, though.

I agree. Put FreeBSD on this and make it a server. Get practice adming this system and put apache on it and get some experience with CGI.

I have some CGI programs I did in C++ for a class if you want them (good if you are begining CGI and already know C++).

For more info on running webserver from the house, go to:

www.dslwebserver.com

Have fun!

Edited by Linux

I would say NetBSD will work nicely.

I run it on a old machine here:

Pentium P54C 99.72Mhz

32Mb of ram

and a 1gigabyte HD.

running for two years none stop :pirate:

I tried loading freebsd 6.2 and it wont boot the cd. When I get back home, I will post the error I get. You could actually run a server on this low of hardware? I would like to learn how to admin a server. What would I install besides apache?

Sure you can. I used to run a little home web devel server off a Pentium Classic, 75 MHz, with 2 GB hard drive and 48 MB RAM. It ran for over a year and a half, but I junked it when the proprietary power supply's fan seized up and toasted the power supply. I believe I was running Red Hat Linux 7.0 or 7.2 on it at that point.

You probably aren't going to have much luck running anything with a GUI.

I've actually run a computer with worse specs than that fairly well with Slackware and Fluxbox. It worked remarkably well surprisingly enough, and I wasn't just running programs in terminals.

i gave a good friend mime a laptop years ago, it's a 166mhz, 12mb of ram, 2.4GB harddrive. with DSL on it, she loves it, it uses firefox and mplayer, (yes that's right mplayer) since then she has add a 120GB external hard drive and limewire. and I don't see how it's not designed to be installed, with linux all you need is a kernel and a rootfs that's it.

I need to update the bios for this pc but i cant seem to find the right bios for it. I need to install freebsd from a floppy cause of the error I get when trying to load the cd. I might just stick with my fav distro and put slackware on it

I just got a computer from someone who finally upgraded to a new pc. This thing is a Gateway G6-180. It was made in 1996! Very old pc that I want to still use somehow. I can't seem to figure out what Distro would run decent on this machine. It has a 6GB HD and 64MB of ram. I am downloading freebsd at the moment to see if that will run. Any other suggestions?

I have this same exact system running as my firewall right now. You can overclock them to a 233, mine's been running SmoothWall Linux for about 4 years without issues.

I forgot! If you are a bit savvy, you could try Minix 3 (or an older Minix). It is really usefull for learning OS principles! You could also still run this as a webserver!

In fact, I have a pentium pro box that I will be using for this purpose.

Have fun!

Edited by Linux

i couldnt get freebsd to install even after a bios upgrade. So I am going to go with slackware since I am already familiar with it. I think I will run xfce as my windows manager. is that ok? also, i am going to install everything from the disks and remove what I dont need later

i was listening to the lottalinuxlinks podcast the other day and i think he said someone emailed him to say how well Fluxbuntu was running on a box with 64MB of ram.

he mentioned how it's not just ubuntu with fluxbox, but it's ubuntu striped right down then with low resource apps added. it's sounds like it could be a great distro for any box, not just older boxes :) i've never used it though, but i'd like to try it. <_<

My vote is slackware. It will run on very low end hardware and be stable.

i was listening to the lottalinuxlinks podcast the other day and i think he said someone emailed him to say how well Fluxbuntu was running on a box with 64MB of ram.

he mentioned how it's not just ubuntu with fluxbox, but it's ubuntu striped right down then with low resource apps added. it's sounds like it could be a great distro for any box, not just older boxes :) i've never used it though, but i'd like to try it. <_<

I cant wait till Fluxbuntu is released. I will be there downloading it ASAP. :)

I haven't had time to mess with this PC other than to install Slackware with the 2.4 kernel. I am going to work on this machine this weekend. I need to buy a usb card, network card and a cd burner since I believe the PC is too slow for a dvd burner. I think I am going to play around with some apache on this box before I try to use this box as a box to help me learn how to pen test a box. Thanks for all the suggestions.

DLS linux would run very nicely on it.

DSK is based on knoppix/debian.

And is arount 50mb in size

I have an old computer I found in someones trash AMD k5? 500mhz running Clark Connect 4.0 it works fine (just had to replace the cpu cooling fan as it was going bad)

Edited by Anolis

I have an old computer I found in someones trash AMD k5? 500mhz running Clark Connect 4.0 it works fine (just had to replace the cpu cooling fan as it was going bad)

sorry to go offtopic but wtf is up with your emo avatar picture?

DSL is a piece of crap. Don't do it.

If your looking for something with a gui that's a quaiity distro then your outta luck.

Anything so wrong about the command line?