Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gloomer

Macosx on X86

18 posts in this topic

It is possible and not in a vmware session.

I d/led a 4.5 gig torrent which took a day. Then I realized it was the wrong version :D

So I had to d/l another 4.5 gig torrent with the right version.

I burned the Mac osx iso for x86 hardware to a disc. And booted up from it. It told me to choose my language, but I couldn't move my mouse or use my keyboard.

A lot of people had hardware problems with their installation. And you need an sse2 or sse3 proccessor.

So I shrugged off but didn't chuck the disc. The next day I was looking at another mac in my house ( we have three others)

And I realized that wait a sec. I couldn't move the mouse or keyboard because I was using a ps/2 port for the mouse and keyboard.

Mac doesn't recognize that. It uses USB ports. So I booted up with a usb mouse I had. And yeah :) it works.

So I just need to go out and grab a usb keyboard.

So it was neat even though its illegal. :)

The legality is grey. If you go and buy a copy of OS X, you could, in my opinion, run this copy on your x86 box with little guilt. I guess that is assuming you were guilty in the first place. :P

There is also PearPC if you like virtual environments.

Kozaru

I tested it this last summer. Ended up working and booting pretty fast, but I couldn't get 3D acceleration to work with my card. It booted really fast, but wasn't the most stable enough to use nothing but OS X. I've since bought a macbook pro and I'm not looking back.

what don you mean not in VMware? I have it installed on an external hard drive of mine. Also they keyboard and mouse on my laptop, where I first installed it, where recognized as PS/2. Even the keyboard on my VMware machine is PS/2

You will probably have the best luck with teh 10.4.1 (original hacked version) rather than the later versions.

If you play with it and are somewhat lucky, you should be able to get everything working except for sound, and quartz extreme.

Of course, if you went to otherworldcomputing and bought a PCI sound card that is supported in OS X, it would probably work with OSx86.

Good Luck!

I seem to recall trying out a copy of 10.4.1(?) about a year ago that a buddy passed to me. It seemed odd that there was PS/2 keyboard and mouse support in the installer, but when you booted into the newly-installed system it was no more. I never dug around too much to see why, but I did determine that it wasn't just a matter of finding something like "ps2hid.kext" on the CD and copying it to the hard drive, like with most other Mac hardware :roll:

Yeah, you could...

...if the license didnt specify that it is legal to use it on apple hardware only.

Unfortunately, it does. Of course, there's other reasons besides legal ones why running os x on generic intel boxes is a retarded idea.

The legality is grey. If you go and buy a copy of OS X, you could, in my opinion, run this copy on your x86 box with little guilt. I guess that is assuming you were guilty in the first place. :P

There is also PearPC if you like virtual environments.

Kozaru

LOL, its funny you brought that up. A little while back I was over at the InsanelyMac forum when it broke that they guy took the approach of getting quartz to run on his custom build of XNU(!) They were discussing the legal ambiguity of the license. Thing is, it said something like "OS X is licensed to run on apple labeled hardware only." Then one guy replied to the post saying: "Ok, so I just put an Apple, inc. sticker on the side of my OSx86 box and its 'Apple labeled' hardware!"

:lol:

You will probably have the best luck with teh 10.4.1 (original hacked version) rather than the later versions.

If you play with it and are somewhat lucky, you should be able to get everything working except for sound, and quartz extreme.

Of course, if you went to otherworldcomputing and bought a PCI sound card that is supported in OS X, it would probably work with OSx86.

Good Luck!

You'd be able to get 10.4.1 to install right. But Apple has since made changes so that the majority of programs will not run on 10.4.1, forcing you to use a newer version.

One website that I found pretty useful with OSX86 was www.osxx86.info. Their forums can give you some good info, although their guide is for 10.4.1. You may want to look around on torrent sites for the jaS image (I believe thats what its called, if memory serves) of 10.4.8.

Im running 10.4.8 with the JaS ppf1 patch. It works perfectly!

on the mac parrallels works 10 times better than vmare

they are even trying to support 3d accelation in the next release.

on the mac parrallels works 10 times better than vmare

they are even trying to support 3d accelation in the next release.

Parallels runs WinDoze on a Mac... the subject is about running OS X on generic non-Apple hardware.

Both Parallels and VMWare have recently stated that they will not be working on Apple emulation for other OSes... apparently they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

Really can't stress enough that if you wan to try to install OSX x86 on a PC don't expect it to become your main OS. Its just not there yet.

youve got to be kidding me dude, why would anyone say that 10.4.1 would be the most stable release?

JaS 10.4.8 SsE2/SsE3 AMD/INTEL is the most stable release out there right now. and all this bitching about not recognizing ps/2 devices, im using a ps/2 mouse and keyboard right now.

Why use VMware when you can run it natively... when os x x86 is run natively it works so much better

I think it would be great if one of the big surprises in Jaguar LEOPARD was support for more x86 hardware.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass

Edited by BigBrother