Irongeek

What Anti-Virus do you use?

34 posts in this topic

I've been using Symantec for awhile since I get it free as a student where I'm at, but I'm getting sick of all of my security tools being deleted as "HackTools". What are others using, if anything, for their AV?

I've been using Symantec for awhile since I get it free as a student where I'm at, but I'm getting sick of all of my security tools being deleted as "HackTools". What are others using, if anything, for their AV?

i use norton and just set up a custom scan to not scan a specific folder that has my security tools in it other av's i like clamav and i did like the non-free avg version

-Enigma

Avast! on Windows, and ClamAV on Linux.

I like Avast's scan-on-boot feature, which does a virus scan before most of Windows is done loading. I would think fewer of the less advanced viruses would have had time to load into memory at that point.

None. Unless you're regularily putting unverified EXEs on your computer because of work needs or whatnot, I don't see the point of getting an AV. There's just no way for them to get in. You don't download .scr or .exe attachments from strangers, you use a firewall (no exploitation), you don't surf a malicious websites with an unpatched version of IE, and the other computers on your LAN don't have access to your ressources.

So I have to ask: why?

I guess you could say linux...but its not a "antivirus" software, just happens to be the best operating system of which most viruses cannot occur :).

But on winblows I use node32

I, like seal, don't use AV. I just have a very specific firewall policy and don't let anyone else use my computer.

(I haven't gotten a virus in 5+ years even with weak fw rules)

Otherwise, I've had pretty bad experiences with norton on other peoples' computers.

i.e. One time I plugged my flash drive (which contained some border-line hackerish tools) into a friends computer and norton popped up a message that said it detected a hacking tool and automatically deleted it from my drive. I know those settings can be tweaked but, that really just pissed me off. It didn't even ask me what I wanted to do, it just deleted the whole program.

Edited by xGERMx

Another for avast! on win32. I'm still figuring out how to install programs on linux though... And yeah, norton fucking sucks

I currently use NOD32 and AVG 7.5 but as has been said there isn't THAT much need for AV software I find.

I've run this machine without antivirus software for nigh on 3 years and have never had a virus on it. I recently installed the two AV's mentiones above spybot and adware and all I found was ~3 very unmalicious spywares. About 4 malwares which were detected as non critical. Although my registry was all over the place as I'd never cleaned it up at all.

None. Unless you're regularily putting unverified EXEs on your computer because of work needs or whatnot, I don't see the point of getting an AV. There's just no way for them to get in. You don't download .scr or .exe attachments from strangers, you use a firewall (no exploitation), you don't surf a malicious websites with an unpatched version of IE, and the other computers on your LAN don't have access to your ressources.

So I have to ask: why?

Because viruses can come in using other ways. Like that problem with jpeg encoding. How do you know that you don't have a virus right now? Or some trojan or some spyware or some adware? You don't. You need an AV proggie to make sure that you don't get infected.

"Because viruses can come in using other ways. Like that problem with jpeg encoding. How do you know that you don't have a virus right now? Or some trojan or some spyware or some adware? You don't. You need an AV proggie to make sure that you don't get infected."

Whatever it is (malware/virus), it still has to be executed in one form or another.

As I said previously, I have a very stringent firewall policy and I don't download anything questionable.

I don't have anything I don't need turned on. i.e. HTML is disable in email, etc

If there is something I'm iffy about, I run it in a virtual environment.

"Because viruses can come in using other ways. Like that problem with jpeg encoding. How do you know that you don't have a virus right now? Or some trojan or some spyware or some adware? You don't. You need an AV proggie to make sure that you don't get infected."

Whatever it is (malware/virus), it still has to be executed in one form or another.

As I said previously, I have a very stringent firewall policy and I don't download anything questionable.

I don't have anything I don't need turned on. i.e. HTML is disable in email, etc

If there is something I'm iffy about, I run it in a virtual environment.

No, you don't need to execute things manually to get a virus or a worm. Good example is the RTM worm from the 80s.

As I personally use GNU/Linux exclusively on my own machines, I find that installing anti-virus software would be like using an umbrella while indoors. However, after hosing out malware from my friends Windows computers, I always install AVG Free (and then I say a little prayer in hope that God won't send me to Hell for pushing proprietary software).

There is actually a GPL'ed anti-virus solution for Windows, called ClamWin, but I have no experience with it and I don't know how it compares to typical proprietary solutions.

http://www.clamwin.com/

I use nod32 because its so lightweight.

Comparing it to windows managers, Norton is KDE, Mcafee/Kaspersky is Gnome.

And nod32 is XFCE/Fluxbox.

Not because of its features, because of the weight.

if your running limewire or something than get a av but if your only doing torrents , using secure software, and keep updated on patches you really shouldn't need one (ps: Idk why but I seem not have gotten a virus from torrents)

if your running limewire or something than get a av but if your only doing torrents , using secure software, and keep updated on patches you really shouldn't need one (ps: Idk why but I seem not have gotten a virus from torrents)

If your software is being patched regularly then it's not that secure, is it?

That's the sad thing. Lately torrents for me have gone straight to hell.

It seems isohunt is the major culprit.

I go and grab 5 versions of something off there and they're all infected.

GRRRR.

Kaspersky FTW.

Thats what I thought my friend but thats very wrong. I downloaded this file I was suspicious about in a .rar format. I was hesitant to execute it so I did a virus total scan. And it was full of worms and backdoors :voteno: . Thats why I am going to install kaspersky,nod32,bitdefender,and avast. You might say thats stupid but no thank you I do not want to get infected