Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Divo

(free)BSD

33 posts in this topic

I am using FreeBSD on a server there since Debian Sarge wont recognize my hardware (!) and meh, I feel like something different, solid, and no frills.

You must have some /very/ uncommon hardware then. :P

No - It is an Asus KV-8 motherboard. The problem is that it will not recognize the SATA controller. It tells me there is no drive. Oddly, Ubuntu Server recognizes it. So, my choice was Ubuntu server, or FreeBSD (I will not use RPM). I've been using FreeBSD shell for programming at school, so I decided to use it.

Well, back to RTMF for me!

(well, I could have made a compromise and downloaded Debian GNU/kFreeBSD :P )

Edited by Linux

Was it the net-installer? I have that trouble on Debian Etch with my CD-RW/DVD drive. It looks and tries to use the 'floppy' driver... It's new hardware, don't ask me why.... :blink: I install a base system from Sarge and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to Etch.

Was it the net-installer? I have that trouble on Debian Etch with my CD-RW/DVD drive. It looks and tries to use the 'floppy' driver... It's new hardware, don't ask me why.... :blink: I install a base system from Sarge and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to Etch.

Nope, the full DVD's. I was floored that it couldn't see the drive.

I am using FreeBSD on a server there since Debian Sarge wont recognize my hardware (!) and meh, I feel like something different, solid, and no frills.

You must have some /very/ uncommon hardware then. :P

No - It is an Asus KV-8 motherboard. The problem is that it will not recognize the SATA controller. It tells me there is no drive. Oddly, Ubuntu Server recognizes it. So, my choice was Ubuntu server, or FreeBSD (I will not use RPM). I've been using FreeBSD shell for programming at school, so I decided to use it.

Well, back to RTMF for me!

(well, I could have made a compromise and downloaded Debian GNU/kFreeBSD :P )

KV-8? RTMF?

K8-V and RTFM!

btw, K8 refers to the processor socket type, and V stands for a via chipset. If you see N being used, it refers to an nforce chipset. That's how mobos are named.

Ok thanks, that was just off the top of my head, and it still gets the idea accross.

what happened to all the good info that should be in /proc?

:WHAT::P

Edited by Linux

FreeBSD by default doesn't use /proc due to security reasons you have to enable it. but anyways why would you use it?

FreeBSD by default doesn't use /proc due to security reasons you have to enable it. but anyways why would you use it?

Why? No reason really. /proc just allways had odds and ends in there about the system that seemed useful if you ever wanted to poll them with some scripts for some hacky reason.

Edited by Linux