Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xantr3x

Help!

20 posts in this topic

So I turn my baby on, and it says my hard drive is inconsistent. It checks, then boots. Now I can't see my regular toolbar, my windows don't appear in the toolbar that shows now, and my typing is messed up! Also, my mom said Clamwin reported a corrupted file.What's happening? Please help quick!

Uhh. What? I am not sure what is happening. But try formatting, reinstalling Windows. Always works. Or maybe you have a trojan of some sort.

I have no idea what is happening, since there isn't enough information given. State computer specs, any newly installed applications, and any odd occurences. As well as what malware/spyware detection applications you are running...

Then, we can help. Just stating the problem without specifics will not help us know what is wrong.

So I turn my baby on, and it says my hard drive is inconsistent.

What says that?

It checks, then boots.

What checks, and what boots?

Now I can't see my regular toolbar

What toolbar?

You didn't even say which OS you're using. Come on man, you can do better than that.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was freaking out because I knew if I had screwed up my laptop, my parents would be pissed. So what's happening is when I first boot up, WIndows tells me my hard drive is inconsistent, and then proceeds to check it. Once that is done, it boots up fully. When the desktop appears, my toolbar isn't there, like when you unlock it and pull it all the way down. After a bit of fiddling, it appears, but my windows don't appear as they should in the toolbar, so after I minimize I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Dlete to see the open windows, and select the on I want. Next I get an error saying

The following error has occurred: OdysseySupplicantMgr::Thread() error on ::CoRegisterClassObject()(error code 0x800706BA) Odyssey must terminate.
Odd thing is, I'm not running any program I know of called Odyssey. Next, I get
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error! Program: ...ram Files\Linksys\Wireless-G Notebook Adapter\Odhost.exe Abnormal program termination.
Also, my keyboard skips a bit, but thats probably just the keyboard :D

So if anyone has any ideas about this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I'm running Mcafee and Clamwin.

Edit 2: I'm running Windows XP.

Edited by xantr3x

For the toolbar/startbar, you might just need to restart 'explorer.exe'- if it is even running. If it isn't then do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and where it says to start a new taks/process start explorer.exe from there.

I don't use Windows much anymore, but I have never had any problems like these, so I am not the best person to ask about Winblows troubleshooting. :o

Yeah, sorry about that. I was freaking out because I knew if I had screwed up my laptop, my parents would be pissed. So what's happening is when I first boot up, WIndows tells me my hard drive is inconsistent, and then proceeds to check it. Once that is done, it boots up fully. When the desktop appears, my toolbar isn't there, like when you unlock it and pull it all the way down. After a bit of fiddling, it appears, but my windows don't appear as they should in the toolbar, so after I minimize I have to use Ctrl+Alt+Dlete to see the open windows, and select the on I want. Next I get an error saying
The following error has occurred: OdysseySupplicantMgr::Thread() error on ::CoRegisterClassObject()(error code 0x800706BA) Odyssey must terminate.
Odd thing is, I'm not running any program I know of called Odyssey. Next, I get
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error! Program: ...ram Files\Linksys\Wireless-G Notebook Adapter\Odhost.exe Abnormal program termination.
Also, my keyboard skips a bit, but thats probably just the keyboard :D

So if anyone has any ideas about this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I'm running Mcafee and Clamwin.

Edit 2: I'm running Windows XP.

From what I can recall, "Odessey" is a wireless/wifi utilty that comes along with windows....for wifi internet. Dont you have restore points setup ? Hop on safe mode [f8] and go to a past restore point. Also Get rid of that odessey crap immediately, I hated that prog...

Sounds like a possible infestation eating resorces

not virul, but trojans etc....

How many processes are running, are there any that are eating like 99% of the cpu, or huge amounts of ram?

I use

SpyBot Search and Destroy

ASquared

AdAware

^--for spyware etc

and

AVG

Avast!

for virus scanning

also

CCleaner

this will check registry for errors, and clean up tmp files, recently typed URLS, history, dlownload locations, and a bunch of other shit

also try installing

Sunbelt Kiero personal Firewall

you can manual accept or deny every action you computer is attempting to make

(just like in the mac vs. pc commercial i lol'd btw)

hth

btw you probally cant get it to function well enough to do any of the things I just reccommended.....

I use my IPOD for a portable usb drive, but a digital camera would work too, dl the files on a seperate computer, and copy them to the camera or the mp3 player, if you can get them to install from there, I'd run the firewall first, then spybot, and then AVG

Edited by clueless

I know everyone is suggesting a multitude of anti-virus and anti-malware stuff... but personally I'd reformat if the OS was becoming unusable. Back up your important documents and what not to a USB thumb drive/CD/DVD. If the OS is really giving you trouble and you can't do that, then a Linux LiveCD will allow you to do that (more info throughout the forums on that topic). If you do back up stuff.... be sure to give that a good virus/malware scan before letting it go on another machine. If you do indeed have something of that nature (and with this little amount of information I don't think anyone could say for sure), then you don't want to spread it to another one of your computers obviously. Good luck to you.

I've had pretty bad luck with system restore and reformatting is a pain in the ass, so why not try doing a Repair; that way you won't lose any files/programs.

I've had pretty bad luck with system restore and reformatting is a pain in the ass, so why not try doing a Repair; that way you won't lose any files/programs.

Reparing windows only recopies the system files for the Windoze install to the OS partition, nothing else.

1. Boot up a Linux live CD

2. Secure erase

3. boot Windows and format

4. Install windows to its own NTFS partition

5. keep important data on second FAT32 partition

6. enjoy!

^^ That will allow you to reinstall windows without having to backup data. But when this is setup that way, always make sure the data on the second FAT32 DATA partition is COMPLETELY safe/clean if you are going to do a reinstall.

Alk3

2. Secure erase

6. enjoy!

Which LiveCD has a secure erase tool?

Reparing windows only recopies the system files for the Windoze install to the OS partition, nothing else.

2. Secure erase

6. enjoy!

^^ That will allow you to reinstall windows without having to backup data. But when this is setup that way, always make sure the data on the second FAT32 DATA partition is COMPLETELY safe/clean if you are going to do a reinstall.

Alk3

I am well aware of what System Repair does.

If the computer has a virus on it, it is most likely copied into a system folder.

Secure erase Live CD:

Darik's Boot and Nuke.... FTW!

I am well aware of what System Repair does.

A system repair isn't meant to be used for repair against viri/spyware. Its meant to be used if you delete the wrong file or something gets corrupted. So I think you were misinformed. IMHO.

Alk3

If you don't want to bother erasing the OS, burn a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD (I recommend the full version, it's still free) and pop it in your drive. Restart the computer with the CD in and run virus scans with the scanners on the disk. If that doesn't pick up anything, download some other tools to pick up trojans and other malicious software. Also, since the problem is from the wireless adapter (Odhost.exe is most likely Odyssey), a quick reinstall of the wireless drivers may fix the problem. But the UBCD is still a great tool to have around. If all else fails, simply backup your data and do a reinstall.

Wishing the best of luck,

Tyler

Deffinately reformat your machine mate. The best solution with windows, or at least the least time consuming when faced with strange behaviour, is to just wipe your partition and re-install. I've made a disk of all my favorite programs (firewall,antivirus,spy/malware detector, network tools, etc) to limit time spent on reformat. You'll be amazed at the preformance increase after a fresh install. But windows does basically suck ass and you should be prepared to reformat at least twice a year, and always backup your data. Don't worry about "breaking" your computer, even if a windows stalls while loading, you can always use knoppix < http://www.knoppix.org >

to wipe the drive. You can't really do any damage to your machine, and windows deserves whatever damage befalls it :)

I'm learning linux www.opensuse.org as an alternative to this nonsense.