Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OmegaProphet420

Custom GUI?

5 posts in this topic

so i there i was watchin the movie Hackers (Dont ask...) and i noticed that all these guys had customized the way there pc's start up when it comes to GUI. I use FC6 and id like to know where to begin to modify my GUI. any Ideas?

I use FC6 and id like to know where to begin to modify my GUI.

Hi,

Most Linux machines use either GDM or KDM as the graphical login manager, some old ones still use XDM (still customisable to some degree, but not pretty).

KDM and GDM can both be themed:

GDM Themes - http://art.gnome.org/themes/gdm_greeter/

KDM Themese - http://www.kde-look.org

You of course can customise or write you're own from scratch, but the links are a good starting point.

Mungewell.

id rather write my own, except i dont know anything about programming, can anyone point me in the right direction?

If you don't know where to start, writing a login manager is probably a bad idea. It's not exactly trivial to code and quite a lot of work just to change how it looks.

KDM and GDM are, on the other hand, very easy to theme. If you want to change how they look, that'd be the way to go.

If you really wanted to customize the look and feel of you GUI, get xdm and fluxbox/blackbox. Then scrap your Desktop Environment and download aterm. Or you could just go to a site with pre-made themes for Gnome/KDE/GDM/KDM... much easier. xdm is primitive, but can be customized using your 'Xdefaults" file. Fluxbox has tools for customization, like fbdesk and fluxconf.

Alk3