Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mungewell

RSS feed - PubDate Changing for old shows

4 posts in this topic

Any particular reason for the publish date for old shows being changed?

I noticed that my podcatcher pulled down 181 lastnight. The RSS feed has <pubDate> for this show as 19Feb2007.

Would be 'better' if changes to the page didn't force another download....

Mungewell.

Interesting... I do not remember making that particular change, but I have occasionally gone back and corrected dates and other things. What about when I go back and add show notes from episodes that were missing notes? Does that force a download also?

I didn't think any of these should cause it to re-download. It does not for me (using juice) so maybe it depends on the client?

Does anyone else have this problem?

The pubdate was being changed when a show was edited, therefore it was actually showing the created date initially, then the date of subsequent modifications.

From what I can see the pubdate per item is meant to be when the item was first "published" http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss#ltpu...ementOfLtitemgt not when it was modified. Therefore I have now changed the feed code so that pubdate is set when a new show is added, and then not changed when a show is modified.

Therefore I have now changed the feed code so that pubdate is set when a new show is added, and then not changed when a show is modified.

Great, thanks.... should save a little on the bandwidth costs.

Mungewell.