Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HippyVanMan

Running XP inside linux

3 posts in this topic

I run ubuntu linux, but I also run windows XP pro sp2 on another of my machines hard drive partitions (NTFS), I would like to run a windows xp pro sp2 virtual machine in ubuntu so as I can use certain windows programs (and no, don't offer wine to me as an alternative) but instead of using an image of xp i'd like to just be able to use the existing xp install, which is on an NTFS partition which ubuntu can read (but not write - which I assume will be necessary to set if this can work). I ask simply, is it possible to do this? And if so, how?

Oh, I'm not out to necessarily do this with VMware, I'll do it with any virtual machine I can.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

I run ubuntu linux, but I also run windows XP pro sp2 on another of my machines hard drive partitions (NTFS), I would like to run a windows xp pro sp2 virtual machine in ubuntu so as I can use certain windows programs (and no, don't offer wine to me as an alternative) but instead of using an image of xp i'd like to just be able to use the existing xp install, which is on an NTFS partition which ubuntu can read (but not write - which I assume will be necessary to set if this can work). I ask simply, is it possible to do this? And if so, how?

Oh, I'm not out to necessarily do this with VMware, I'll do it with any virtual machine I can.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Not gonna happen. You CAN tell VMware to boot from an existing partition but it is not recommended. The first thing that will happen is windows will crap itself due to being booted up on a different hardware platform (the virtual machine emulates a lot of hardware like videocard, scsi/ide interfaces, networkcard etc..), the second thing that MIGHT happen is you damage your windows partition to a point where it won't boot or worse, you've lost all data on there.

You can use some tools to clone the existing partition to a virtual one that will boot up under a VM (P2V tool from VMware or Parallels Transporter).

Yeah, you could try to run from existing partition, but my guess is that windows will have a heart attack because of being trying to load drivers for the computer, not the virtual machine. But this can work with Linux.

Is there a way to make a dual driver configuration, making it available as a choice in boot.ini?

Edited by Aghaster