Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CS5n531

Can I salvage this harddrive?

9 posts in this topic

Hey binrev, just had a little trouble with one of my hard drives and I was wondering if I could fix this.

I have a 320GB Western Digital SATA hard drive that I've had for about 4 months now. It's been working great, no problems at all. However, I'm very impatient, and when I want to unplug or re-plug my hard drive into my computer, I don't shut down to do so. I plugged my HD into my computer today (while my computer was on) and in turn i see a blue spark, my computer restarts itself, and now my HD wont start up at all. :blink:

Anything I can do to fix this drive? It has 200GB's worth of important stuff on there.

*I'm on my other 80GB HD at the moment, thats the one that has my OS on it.

Hey binrev, just had a little trouble with one of my hard drives and I was wondering if I could fix this.

I have a 320GB Western Digital SATA hard drive that I've had for about 4 months now. It's been working great, no problems at all. However, I'm very impatient, and when I want to unplug or re-plug my hard drive into my computer, I don't shut down to do so. I plugged my HD into my computer today (while my computer was on) and in turn i see a blue spark, my computer restarts itself, and now my HD wont start up at all. :blink:

Anything I can do to fix this drive? It has 200GB's worth of important stuff on there.

*I'm on my other 80GB HD at the moment, thats the one that has my OS on it.

what happens when you plug the hard drive back in does it spin up at all?

-Enigma

Yeah, does it spin up at all? Either way, you could try replacing the controller card if you happen to have another one around, and see if that does it. At least then you could get the data off. Looks like that controller wasn't hot swap capable.

It doesn't spin at all when I plug it back in, its as if its receiving no power. Whats a controller card?

BIG problem now.. the whole thing shut off and it started smelling like smoke o_O

lol i think im a gone-er..

BIG problem now.. the whole thing shut off and it started smelling like smoke o_O

lol i think im a gone-er..

I hate to agree with you but i think your right :o

-Enigma

Yeah man. Smoke bad.

The controller under the card can be unscrewed and replaced with another one if you have one off the same hard drive. If that was the problem, you can fire it right up and pull off the data.

hdrt0.jpg

If you got a blue spark, you probably burned something up on the drive's controller board. The controller board is the circuit board on the bottom of the drive, that the data and power cables connect to.

In general, it's a /very/ bad idea to hot-plug hard disks. If you're /that/ impatient, get a USB enclosure for the drive.

It sounds like you let the magic blue smoke out!

Edited by systems_glitch

Can you tell if the burning came from the cableing/molex cable that plugs into the hard drive? I would try a different power cable from your power supply if it WAS NOT the hard drive that had the burn/scorch marks on it.