Aghaster

Opening .pst files

8 posts in this topic

Okay, today at school I was scanning the network looking for shared resources. I found a laptop sharing his C drive, and also a folder called outlook. I downloaded the files in the outlook folder, and kept them. The laptop quit. The files I got are .pst files, which seem to be email archives of outlook. It's 116mb large. I tried converting them to plain text with the libpst tools, but it said the version number was higher than it's able to support. I installed outlook 2007 and tried importing it, but nothing was added to my received box and such.

How should I open these files, to see their content?

P.S: I can send the .pst file to you, if you want to try to open it. it'll probably be in French and most of you here don't speak French, so it's not a problem.

Edited by Aghaster

Send it to me ( a n u b i s 2 6 (at) g m a i l . c o m) and I'll try...

You don't actually "open" it. You just need to point Outlook at it like it is the local mailbox for the program. You do that through the accounts settings.

You don't actually "open" it. You just need to point Outlook at it like it is the local mailbox for the program. You do that through the accounts settings.

I got it. Thanks, of course, I won't give the files away, sorry anubis26...

That's cool, but maybe you shouldn't have added this P.S. then...

P.S: I can send the .pst file to you, if you want to try to open it. it'll probably be in French and most of you here don't speak French, so it's not a problem.

I would have sent the files so somebody could help me read them, and it wouldn't have mattered that much because it's mostly all in French.

Anyway, I took a quick look at it, there is plenty of personal information and passwords in there, far too much to be shared without a password. I'll try to email the guy to warn him.

I would have sent the files so somebody could help me read them, and it wouldn't have mattered that much because it's mostly all in French.

Anyway, I took a quick look at it, there is plenty of personal information and passwords in there, far too much to be shared without a password. I'll try to email the guy to warn him.

Yeah...I've seen a lot on webservers that have the root dir as c:\ and Outlook or Outlook express are almost always being used! It's kinda crazy how that can happen...also on p2p networks you get that a lot.

That's ok. I don't need them, obviously. And now that there's a solution, there's really no point.