Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

dumpster diving

85 posts in this topic

DJ Mollusk: Another use for the dishes is an 802.11b antenna.... Just remove the Line-Noise-Blocker (LNB) and replace with a soupcan antenna, or something similar. I am in the process of doing this, but I don't have a wireless card with an external antenna jack =/

-Kuroishi

I am in the process of doing this, but I don't have a wireless card with an external antenna jack =/

Yep... I'm in the same boat. I need a new card with an external antenna jack.

well in my area of 763 there are tons of tech warehouses and office complexes a plenty. well i happen to find a Computer System Productsin my neck of the woods. so i go out back to see about the dumpster to find that they are cleaning house of just about all the cat5/fiber optic cables you can imagine.... i thought i could imagine alot till i saw all of this stuff... now i have pics of what i salvaged from the dumpster there is boxes upon boxes of fiber, coils upon coils of cat5, and even more coils of some other cable that looks like cat5. now the good part there are boxes of these fiber optic thingys that are wrapped in foam in boxes with fiber coming from them... now i have three of those (god only knows why i took 3, or you could ask hac about what we are planning on doing with them) and then there is a Splitter MOD thingy ( have pic of that also). so tonight when i went back to get more stuff i found they were also throwing out some manuals... now these are from 2001 and i have a set from a Cable-Tec Expo including tutorials and engineering conference stuff in one book then in the second one there are workshops with in it. plus i also got info on many other fiber optic companies in my area so i will be checking them out also. so but if anyone knows anything about fiber maybe you could tell me what these things are used for that i have pics for.

dumpster diving pics

w000000t

damn, that sounds like fun

i haven't found one ide cable in the last 2 months, well i guess the university doesn't throw out so much shit if there are no ppl there...lol

the best find ive had recently was this huge ass circuit board, it looked like it belonged on an eniac or something, this thing was ancient man!! i harvested like 20 resistors and a couple of leds from it, and tossed it, oh well, dumpster diving in itself is pretty fun, so im not complainin.

so much cable. That reminds me of my 100 pair cable i have on a giant (wood spool that says "lucent" on it) spool in a manhatan storage place. Verizon was rewirreing the place cause that was the building that all the wires for the block get distributed from. they were gone for a month and left this giant spoll, so now i have like 500 ft of 100 pair cable. I live in the middle of new jersey thought but i'm lucky that i found that spoll (and was able to push it into storage). Why i have things in manhatan, don't ask. When i go past my local truck yard, the have 8 spolls of what i think is 1800 pair cable.

Around here latley, i'm only finding broken monitors latly.

BUMP^^^

so, today i was driving around and i saw a pc in someone's trash...so i pop the trunk and take it, i get home and this thing is awesome!!

its got 20 megs of simm ram (8 modules) and an amd p75 upgrade cpu, which gets really hot, i think ima buy a heatsink/fan for a video card and stick it on this thing. other parts include: 650 gig seagate hdd, 10X cdrom, 3 1/2 floppy, 5 1/4 floppy!!!!!!, 200 watt psu and a sweet sexy mini at case (just beggin for moddage). right now i am getting this error:

fixed disk controller failed

so, its either the hdd or the onboard ide controller (long shot) so ima try another hdd in it and if it works its gonna be hac's new........................print server...yeah, i know kinda mundane but i couldn't think of any better uses

650 gig seagate hdd

650 gig hdd????

thats fucking huge!!! maybe meg not gig?

shit, we need a geek spellchecker on the forums...convert gig to meg when the preceeding value is higher than 250 :lol:

The sad thing is most people dont know that a a killibyte is 1024 bytes not 1000, or that a megabyte is 1024 killobytes not 1000 killobytes, or that a gigabyte is in fact 1024 megabytes not 1000 megabytes... so when your buing a 60gig drive your not really getting what you pay for due to the fact they sell it as 1000megs being a gig..