Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

dumpster diving

85 posts in this topic

Any thing electronic thats legaly free like through DD has to have a use somewhere.. even if its not a use that is easly seen right then.. just hang on to what you find or trade it for what you can use, in the end its free so its not like you are giving something up you paid for.

i can't see why you wouldn't pick up other 2.4 ghz calls if you walked around with it for a while, but of what use that would be?...?

I also got a manual in pdf format, I dont remember from where tho.....

I dont know what I could do with it tho....

if somebody has a 2.4 Ghz fone, could I for example pick up their conversation?? or could I just cut them off (altho I fail to see the point in this...)?

i think screamer said something like that in a ep of hackermind... expect i think it was below 900 mhz for some reason i can't remember somthing about the number of channels and what not.

damn i need a memory or something.

yeah, it wouldnt have any use, it would be interesting tho, not to sound like a perv, but it would be cool to see what ppl are talkin about....

Well, After 3 unsuccesful dive runs, I hit the jackpot!! apparently the university here is upgradin shit and throwing out the old shit. I got my hands on 4 mobos, 2 hard drvs and one keyboard and one working 15" monitor. 3 of the mobos are socket 7's, althoug only 2 have cpus, none of them seem to work. bummer. One hdd is a western digital caviar 1170 170 megs of ram...and the other is a mammoth 760 meg maxtor harddrive with a 1985 date on it!!!! this thing is about 3 inches thick, it is also very very similar as to what i saw in the tech museum in san jose lst summer......the exact model number is XT-8760SH. I cant wait to crack it open....The fourth mono is a dual processor 486 machine, with only one processor in there (486 DX). It is ancient, as it only has ISA slots and it has oldass edo ram slots (too bad the mobo is broken as I have about 96 megs of edo...) Im gonna trade one of these mobos to a guy at school, who says hes gonna give me a working mobo, but he needs a socket 7 and that one isn't, he forgot to mention what it was. Anyway, they're not gonna work, cuz they're broken, but he doesnt need to know that. I already told him I got the out of the trash and that its his own risk....anyway, dumpster divings fun!!!

trading free stuff from trash for new, useful stuff = :voteyes:

Dumpster diving and ebay... conspiracy..... think about it.

a lot of stuff is dived on ebay...all those old ass computers that have no warranty and that the seller hasn't had "time" to "test".....BULLSHIT, they know it's not gonna work, and that if they get 15 bucks off of it its a profit. Now, the things that are really scary are the laptops. Being the most stolen personal item in San Francisco (prolly other places too) there are a shitload of stolen lappys on ebay. I found a couple that said they couldnt get on the harddrive because it has a password and thats how they "got" it......BULLSHIT, you know thats a stolen one. And the ones that have no hard drive, thats just so they cannot be traced back to the original user, even if its formatted, there might still be parts of the original users files right....so in the case of an investigation, the laptop cant be traced back like that, since the buyer (who is always helpless against these things) installed a new hard drive.....think about it.....

after being teased so many times by the infogrames dumpster its has finally given in and i scored big time... i found so much stuff on todays dive. the first of my finds was a 2gb Jaz Drive Disk so if any one has a jaz drive i'll gladly send it off to you. next i found all kinds of "enter the matrix" art and box stuff... then i found a "enter the matrix' art asset disk. then i found a box with all kinds of video games in it... well they were the boxes for the games but some of the boxes had games. i got monoply and this "the watchsomething or other" can't remember the name. then a bigger find.... i found two possible game cube games... then have game cube printed on it and then the name of the game written also they are for preview only *yep thats what i'll use them for*... i couple more art asset disks.

so all in all after all the video card boxes and mother board boxes and phone boxes its finally paid off!! :D

Its hard for me to go dumpster diving at my local telco... simply becaus, no car, 12 count them 12 cameras around the fucking building including 3 or so on the trash, down the block from my local police office (fuck it all to hell) and its atleast 2 and a half for 3 miles from my house, i wonder why so much worry about trash, :), well what i was thinking was when the trash man comes to take the trash, find a car and tail him to the dump or so findout where he dumps it sneak in sometime at night or so or just act like your droping off shiza and load as much as you can inside, oh yeas for all of you who have heard about the manholes with the bell logo on them (supost to have stuff in them that are very usefull) well i went into about 3 or so and everytime nothing interesting more just a few huge bugs ive never seen before and an ugly picture of my mother, this sux, but i can still resort to taking apart payfones without worry (in the back of bussines buildings with no road by it) ... sorry for my bad spelling and or grammor, after all im half awake and very hung over from lastnight (went to peabodies to a show and i brout rum and coke and occupied the bathroom with rach for about a half an hour or 45 mins)

spaz :grr:

I meant to post this a while back.

Has anyone seen those ads for paper shredders on TV? Can't remember the company that makes 'em, but they have this guy poking around his neighboors trash pulling out credit card receipts and the like saying you should buy a shredder cuz you never know who is going trhough your trash. Alot of the news channels were running them last I knew.

For alot of the stuff we all seem to be finding, a shredder is useless. You'd need a sledge hammer. ;)

yeah, that comercial was pissing me off, thats not what dumpster diving is!!!! little fucker didnt even get his sleeves dirty!!!!! divin is serious business, not that holliwood induced piece of propaganda bullcrap!!!!

I've been getting lucky at my telco's dumpster. I found a DirecTV receiver and a Dual LNB. I also found half used spindle of coax cable.

... The teclo ia also a DirecTV Service center.

Well there is a telco office out in the middle of no where, no tools, linemen, or things like that, but the papers are priceless

checked out my favorite dumpster last night and found a directv box with a dish and all the mounting parts. Also found another dua LNB. I now have a complete directv setup from dumpster diving at this place. The only thing I need is an access card. I haven't played with directv for a couple years. I hear that H cards are dead now. :(

yeah ive seen someone program a digital cable box buy hitting buttons while it was off... i dont know if it was driect but i do know its not GI digital cable hmmm i cant read the box from here alls i know is its from here

yeah ive seen someone program a digital cable box buy hitting buttons while it was off... i dont know if it was driect but i do know its not GI digital cable hmmm i cant read the box from here alls i know is its from here

yep if you turn your digi cable box on then wait not even 10 secs then turn it off then press your select button on the box or on your remote an you get a diganostic screen. i've not found anything used to program the boxes. but on that note i found that i have a not so large cable/isp provider about 3 miles from my house and a few abandoned work vans out back. found one that was unlocked and poked around in there for awhile and i found a "drop line installation manual" all about ... you guessed it installing cable in to a shee... *cough* a customers house. in there they were talking about traps... and what a trap is a decive that filters so to say your stream of cable coming to you. now most traps that you will see are negitive traps used to make sure your not stealing ppv or premium channels. then there is a positive trap ( the ones you probably get emails about free ppv and premium chans) but they are usually installed a the base office or on a cable can outside of you house. but there is alot more to this manual i need to scan it to pdf or something to that effect and post it somewhere!

ok, well this really has nothing to do with computers...it was still dumpster diving....

I was diving as usual, hitting the three dumpsters i usually go for...when I had a sudden urge to check the ones behind the hospital/medical research facility................yes, bad idea.....well, I didnt even get into the dumpster when I saw syringes with needles stickin up (i have a phobia for needles...) and there was a microscope like....2 feet away from me over the sea of needles...well, I convinced myself everything'll be alright, then figured that who knows what bacteria or dead shit they used the microscope on...so I just left it.

The point here is that in all those dumpster divin articles that tell you not to go to hospital dumpsters....listen to them.

The point here is that in all those dumpster divin articles that tell you not to go to hospital dumpsters....listen to them.

Words that should be heeded. You have no idea who was stuck with those needles or what was in their blood.

Two years ago, a very good friend of mine was throwing away a fast food bag in a public trash can, when he felt a sharp pain in the palm of his hand. He had been stuck with a hypo needle that was in the garbage, sticking out of a plastic bag with a dozen or so other needles and used condoms. He was on the HIV cocktail for about 6 months. Luckily he went to the doctor right away and began treatment immediately. The risk of infection was very high, but there have been so signs of HIV or anything. Physically he's out of the woods, but his wife still says he's not gotten over it mentally.

You were right to leave without trying to get anything. No dumpster prize is worth risking your life over.

woah, I feel sorry for your friend man. I can imagine how terrible it would be to just have a nnedle stuck in you....did it go in all the way, or did it just puncture his skin....from what I understand from your post it seems like it went in pretty deep....

Yeah, I guess it went pretty deep. He's got a scar from where it punctured his hand. That's why there was so much concern, cuz it went so deep. Needless to say, I'm alot more wary of putting things into public trash cans.

that changes the trashing for me... well if i go to a hospital one at least heh that really sux man...

thats quite the horror story, good to hear your buddy made it out alive and well. just the thought of that is enough to make me kind of wary of public trashcans. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

thats quite the horror story, good to hear your buddy made it out alive and well. just the thought of that is enough to make me kind of wary of public trashcans. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

as well you should be. alwasy be careful and take a look inside before you dive headfirst.